Milodon Oil pan/pick up hitting the crank, or flex plate backwards?

-

jrlegacy23

68 Barracuda
Reaction score
I am not sure what the issue is yet or not. But I would like some advice from some experienced guys here.
I started with a 2006 car 5.7 Hemi. I swapped the car, Nag1 flex plate for a truck 545RFE flexplate. I then pulled the car oil pan and oil pick up tube. I used the Milodon Oil pick up tube and 31000 Oil pan. I put it in my car, and then bolted up the 545-RFE truck tranny. Now when I turn the engine over by the harmonic balancer bolt, it only turns about half way over and hits something. I then turn it the opposite way and halfway through it hits something again. I have not bolted to the torque converter (which spins freely).

Anyone have a similar issue that may be able to shed some light on this. How do I know if the flex plate is backwards?

I am not sure what the issue is yet or not. But I would like some advice from some experienced guys here.
I started with a 2006 car 5.7 Hemi. I swapped the car, Nag1 flex plate for a truck 545RFE flexplate. I then pulled the car oil pan and oil pick up tube. I used the Milodon Oil pick up tube and 31000 Oil pan. I put it in my car, and then bolted up the 545-RFE truck tranny. Now when I turn the engine over by the harmonic balancer bolt, it only turns about half way over and hits something. I then turn it the opposite way and halfway through it hits something again. I have not bolted to the torque converter (which spins freely).

Anyone have a similar issue that may be able to shed some light on this. How do I know if the flex plate is backwards?
u might check and see if a bolt fell in behind the flexplate inside the bell housing. wil do exactly that .

A long while back there were aftermarket flex plates with a sticker on them, ( said "engine side" I think ) and that sticker had been placed on the wrong side.
Theoretically, flex plate bolts would hit on a quarter revolution. The counter weight casting shape of the crank would hit at just under a half revolution.

That could be also, As I bought the flexplate back in 2014. I will take a pic on how it is mounted

I pulled the valve cover off yesterday and sprayed everything down with Kroil penetrate. I stuck a camera in the starter hole as I turned it by hand. To mu luck, it all turned over til I hit that spot. I then bumped the spot a few times. Then when I turned it back the other way, no issues at all. I think I may have had a stuck valve, but it fixed itself. I sprayed the valves/springs a lot with Kroil after that. I believe it is fixed now.
Thank you to all that made suggestions and offered help

If it were me, I'd find the reason for the stuck valve. Hate to start the engine and have a valve seize!!
Jim

-
Back