Milodon Oil Pan problems

-

Riddler

Project EH-Body
Reaction score
First I want to thank RealWing with the pictures and such from when he did his pan. I assumed I would have the same issues. Some I did have, some have been corrected.

First off my 6.1L dipstick is too long. Doesn't bother me. I'll just use some nuts and washers.
IMG_3802.jpg

Second was the dipstick hole in the windage tray was out. Same as RealWing.
IMG_3803.jpg

Milodon has at least corrected this issue. The oil pan reinforcing tab has been cut down from Milodon.
IMG_3804.jpg

Now the final problem and I think this one is huge. The dipstick doesn't go into the pan. From the pictures below it shows that the dipstick hits the area where the weld is for the deep sump part.
IMG_3806.jpg

IMG_3808.jpg

IMG_3809.jpg

Has anyone had this problem? Can anyone measure this back area of the pan and tell me if mine is out?

Planning to call Milodon tomorrow... wish me luck.

Thanks,

Riddler

Don't how different they might be, but I just ran the stock windage tray/pan gasket with my Milodon pan, so that's one potential way around the hole alignment issue if you don't have to run the Mildon tray for some reason. Also, depending on the oil level it might not matter that the dipstick doesn't go into the sump (as long as it's not hitting the pan). I think the oil level is supposed to be high enough that it's up in the shallower part, and since you're only really concerned with the highest level of the oil, you don't need a dipstick that reaches the very bottom of the pan.

I installed, marked, and cut my dipstick without the pan on. My dipstick doesn't go past the top part.

I was under the assumption that the oil dipstick was required to go down into the deep sump area. If everyone just cut the dipstick then I'll do the same.

How many quarts of oil is this pan suppose to hold?

Thanks,

Riddler

OK I'm planning to cut the dipstick down to the corect length. I'll then use a small fil to scrib a line at low oil and high oil. The directions read to add 5 quarts and then mark the dipstick low. Add another quart and mark the high. That's my plan.

Riddler

sorry for going of topic but I just notice that motor mount looks interesting. did you make them or buy them. just wondering how to find a pair. thanks al

OK I'm planning to cut the dipstick down to the corect length. I'll then use a small fil to scrib a line at low oil and high oil. The directions read to add 5 quarts and then mark the dipstick low. Add another quart and mark the high. That's my plan.

Riddler

Riddler
Good catch about the dipstick. I completely missed that problem. I did the same as you with a mark at 5 &6 qts
Jim

Mine also misses the locater in the pan and scrapes the bottom/side of the pan.

It was also too long but Bob Mazzolini sent it back to Milodon and they shortened it. I detailed this issue in my blog....

FWIW, I measured out six quarts and it met the "full" line exactly......Go figure!

But seriously..you gotta ask Milodon..how hard can it be yo design a decent dipstick? :lol:

sorry for going of topic but I just notice that motor mount looks interesting. did you make them or buy them. just wondering how to find a pair. thanks al

There bought from Reilly Motorsports and work perfectly for the AlerKtion front suspension.

So I assume everyone had to cut the dipstick?

Riddler

I used a factory truck dipstick with my Milodon pan and it seems to work fine, but I didn't necessarily mock it up outside of the car, so I guess I can't be fully sure. Using the stock pan gasket/windage tray too as opposed to the Milodon piece.

hey guys new to site, Iam putting 291desotohemi in a69 dart any thoughts on oil pump and pan hitting center steering link. thanks scottmopar

hey guys new to site, Iam putting 291desotohemi in a69 dart any thoughts on oil pump and pan hitting center steering link. thanks scottmopar

You should go to the correct section and start a new topic on this.

-
Back