Mini Dizzy

-

63 MorePar

Electric Larry
Reaction score
I was asked by RustyRatRod what mods I did to the fire wall on my 63' for distributor clearance on my small block, so I posted a thread!
I was/am not a body guy and was not into rethinking the firewall and wiper motor issue when I did this 12 or so years ago. I was/am a welder and a rookie machinist with access to machining equipment(and a mentor) so I took a different route. I did some minor clearancing(B.F.H.) around the wiper motor mount and took the rest out of the dizzy. I recently changed intakes and had to loose the vacuum advance because of interference issues. I still have mech. advance(slots welded and filed & light springs). I'm sure I will hear about that. lol! :D
I used the advance arm and made it a fine tune timing adjustment without having to turn the dizzy. I also was able to phase the rotor this way.
This may not be for everyone but this has worked well for me for years. I have thought about a 6al programmable, locking out the mech. add. and doing my own curve for my altitude and such, but it's a $375 piece and I have bigger fish to fry at this time.
My twisted, outside the box approach at hot rodding!:glasses7:
Larry

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 532
  • 004.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 514
  • 005.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 470
  • 006.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 526
  • 007.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 451
  • July 004.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 471
  • July 007.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 480
  • July 008.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 459
  • July 009.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 456
I would not have thought to do that. It looks like it works. Thanks for sharing.

Wow. That's impressive. I think most people wouldda just beat the **** outta the firewall more. That actually looks very professional.

This shows the true essence of hot rodding, finding a way to solve a problem. Nice job.

Smart. If I was putting a V-8 into a 1963, I would leave out the distributor and use the Ford EDIS system for spark. You might fill the hole w/ a shorter Magnum distributor (no wires). Install a 36-1 toothed wheel on the crank pulley, w/ VR pickup, as I did on my 273. You still need an advance controller, which could be from Megasquirt/MegaJolt or an after-market ECU like Holley's. Not trivial, but a much better ignition when done, and no hacking the firewall. There was the RabidGator spark controller, which would be easier, but it never got to market.

Smart. If I was putting a V-8 into a 1963, I would leave out the distributor and use the Ford EDIS system for spark. You might fill the hole w/ a shorter Magnum distributor (no wires). Install a 36-1 toothed wheel on the crank pulley, w/ VR pickup, as I did on my 273. You still need an advance controller, which could be from Megasquirt/MegaJolt or an after-market ECU like Holley's. Not trivial, but a much better ignition when done, and no hacking the firewall. There was the RabidGator spark controller, which would be easier, but it never got to market.
Thanks Bill...but I'm not sure I'm with Ya.... ??
Sounds like more work and MONEY to me.This is my driver. We only have 1 yard to pick from around here or we have to out-source, mail order , eGay, Fredslist, or other to get those parts. This only took my time & hands, the dizzy that came on my 340, some tools, and some thought. Still all stock MOPAR dizzy with the same corner parts store replacement parts. I could be in B.F.E. and still find a pick-up coil, cap and rotor if needed. Suck-up a tumbleweed or a prairie dog & break a tooth off on that trigger wheel or trash that pick-up, or smoke that mega sqitt in Kayenta or Teec Nos Pos AZ. and it's A.A.A. towing. I think that's trivial! I want to get home after those road trips, and not on a hook.
Not pick-in a fight or to say your system doesn't work, which I'm sure it does, but I'll keep mine more practical.... for me. :cheers:
This is just my opinion and was not intended to piss anyone off.
Do I need to say this? Is there an acronym for that?
Larry

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 326
I said your design was smart, and you sure didn't upset me. Not all of us can weld like you, especially aluminum. I haven't even used EDIS ignition yet, I just setup the pickup for it while I had the front of the engine apart. The Ford parts are cheap and everywhere, but the trigger wheel and sensor bracket are custom. I don't require EDIS in my 65 since any distributor fits. Just throwing it out that if someone plans that anyway, no need to deal with the 63 firewall problem. You can even find a youtube video of EDIS on a slant.

Another solution is to big block it. No rear distributor problems there. lol

I was asked by RustyRatRod what mods I did to the fire wall on my 63' for distributor clearance on my small block, so I posted a thread!
I was/am not a body guy and was not into rethinking the firewall and wiper motor issue when I did this 12 or so years ago. I was/am a welder and a rookie machinist with access to machining equipment(and a mentor) so I took a different route. I did some minor clearancing(B.F.H.) around the wiper motor mount and took the rest out of the dizzy. I recently changed intakes and had to loose the vacuum advance because of interference issues. I still have mech. advance(slots welded and filed & light springs). I'm sure I will hear about that. lol! :D
I used the advance arm and made it a fine tune timing adjustment without having to turn the dizzy. I also was able to phase the rotor this way.
This may not be for everyone but this has worked well for me for years. I have thought about a 6al programmable, locking out the mech. add. and doing my own curve for my altitude and such, but it's a $375 piece and I have bigger fish to fry at this time.
My twisted, outside the box approach at hot rodding!:glasses7:
Larry
I think the minor firewall adjustment (B.F.H) statement is great :) and I think the dizzy fix is pretty cool. Thanks for the info.

i hope the member looking for what needs for a v8 transplant into a 63 abody checks this thread out , there is a couple of solutions to the installation .

-
Back