Mini Starter and headers

-

treetrimmer12

Reaction score
I got ready to install Hedman headers onto a 1975 360ci in a 1967 Valiant with power steering. Exhaust pipes not yet installed. I removed the drag link, transmission cooling lines and starter. I jacked up the car to a point were the front bumper was about 32" off the garage floor then jacked up motor to a point the distributor, without the cap, was touching the firewall. Attempted to install the drivers side but could not get the front pipe to fit between the block and the power steering gear assy. I tried for about an hour using different angles even came to A Body Forums for help but could not get headers installed.
I decided to install the new mini starter but the solenoid part of the starter hit the block before being able to seat the starter and install the upper bolt.
I reinstalled parts removed. Put everything back as it was.
This has not been good the last few weeks. The speedometer cable won't fit far enough in to fasten the nut at the transmission and can't seem to get the Lokar kickdown cable to attach correctly.
Any comments could be useful to aid an old man in his quest.

Just not too long ago did the same with my 73 Dart with a 318 and a mini starter out of a Ram 1500.
Had to pry the engine over to the passenger side as far as possible, and they are SERIOUS about the header going striaght up and then forward.
After trying and trying, it finally found the one angle that it slipped in.
(it seems like I remember tilting the motor to the passenger side also.)
Passenger side was a breeze.

The starter problem sounds suspicious, as mine went in perfectly without any clearance issue's at all, and with the original starters hardware.
Are you sure you have the right starter?

I used Remflex gaskets also, because I darn sure didn't want to have to mess with it again for a gasket leak down the road.
Now that it is done I'm happy with it, but I don't know what it would take to get me to do it again. :)

Are you using a factory dakota type mini starter? That's what I run & seem to remember removing a plastic piece that captured one of the wires.

Just not too long ago did the same with my 73 Dart with a 318 and a mini starter out of a Ram 1500.
Had to pry the engine over to the passenger side as far as possible, and they are SERIOUS about the header going striaght up and then forward.
After trying and trying, it finally found the one angle that it slipped in.
(it seems like I remember tilting the motor to the passenger side also.)
Passenger side was a breeze.

The starter problem sounds suspicious, as mine went in perfectly without any clearance issue's at all, and with the original starters hardware.
Are you sure you have the right starter?

I used Remflex gaskets also, because I darn sure didn't want to have to mess with it again for a gasket leak down the road.
Now that it is done I'm happy with it, but I don't know what it would take to get me to do it again. :)

X2 What we had to do in addition to jacking up the car high enough, was putting a 2x4 on the side of the block and using another jack to "pivot" or "tilt" the motor to the passenger side. Be careful when doing this, make sure you have a good contact point for the wood to touch. If I remember right we used the motor mount "ears"

We also installed the drivers side header from underneath.

Good luck. :)

Don't know, here's what I had

My 67 Dart 360, later 318, was power, then manual steering, and Hedmans.

I've heard some of the mini starters can be "clocked." But it should not hit the engine block, after all they were made to fit these engines. Some starters come with a terminal adapter which can/ must be removed. The adapter, when installed has screw terminals, but the starter has "stud / nut" terminals.

I've changed the starter on mine with the headers on the engine. I don't recall for certain, I MAY have had to remove part of the steering link to get it in / out

ENGINE MOUNTS may be a problem, IE sagging engine pads, and if you mistakenly get the later truck / van mount pads, they are thicker than original cars and jack up the engine, causing header interference with steering.

I swapped my car to a late "spool mount" K member and fit was improved.

Thanks for everyones replies. I never thought of tilting the motor just on one side. Also may have to loosen the steering gear to gain a little more clearance. Will try again next week. The starter is a 17466N from RCPS purchased last year in Daytona. He says he never heard of such a problem. It may be me. When it slides in, i'll say "DAH".

I don't have Hedman I have Dougs for my 67 340 Cuda. Anyway with the steering linkage removed and the steering column removed (quite easy to do) and the car raised, they slip in easily without even jacking the motor.

I don't have Hedman I have Dougs for my 67 340 Cuda. Anyway with the steering linkage removed and the steering column removed (quite easy to do) and the car raised, they slip in easily without even jacking the motor.

Different animal all the way around.

There was an excess amount of block stacking out. I ground off just enough to get mini starter to mount correctly. The headers will have to either wait till I can find someone to install them or just sell them and use to original exhaust manifolds.

A couple things to try, pull the distributor all the way, stuff a rag in the hole, it will allow the motor to tilt more. Make sure you have radiator clearance.
You may or may not have to remove the exhaust manifold stud on the rear head.
Removing the steering column is easy, and allows a bunch more room.

The steering column isn't the problem. The problem is with the steering gear. This unit was not the original but an AdvanceAuto replacement part so it may not be an exact fit.

the mini starter might be for a 440
if the pos lug is hitting the block

-
Back