Mini Starter Help

-
That is correct. It is cheaper for me to pay the $100.00 and let it come in the mail than for me to take off work or miss a call shift.

I agree. I'm not going to put a used $15 starter on my fresh from the machine shop 408. I have a used mini starter on the bench that I'll be selling for $15 though. I'm going with this one from Tuff Stuff. I have their 100 amp alternator and it seems to be working fine.

tff-6084b_ml.jpg

I agree. I'm not going to put a used $15 starter on my fresh from the machine shop 408. I have a used mini starter on the bench that I'll be selling for $15 though. I'm going with this one from Tuff Stuff. I have their 100 amp alternator and it seems to be working fine.

Some people just have to spend more than others just to get to the same place I guess. :D

My brother showed me his $120 pair of tennis shoes one day and I asked him why the hell he would spend 120 bucks on a pair of tennis shoes?
He said the 120 ones last longer that the 20 dollar ones.
I said for 120 bucks I could have brand new shoes 5-6 times a year, and they would only have to last two months.

How much longer till your car is back on the road again?
It'll be nice to get it back running again won't it?

Thats great that it all worked out. My son recently had the starter go in his 97 Dakota , being 19 and on a limited budget he took a non mini starter off the shelf in my garage , guess what it would not fit in the starter pilot , the older starter pilot is bigger in diameter . I doubt anyone would wonna go from small to big but i could see this happening if someone put a 518 auto trans in and tried using the same starter they had .

Some people just have to spend more than others just to get to the same place I guess. :D

Not really. Just don't want to be let down by putting a used part on a fresh engine. How do you know that the salvage yard piece wasn't on it's last leg when the truck got scrapped?

My brother showed me his $120 pair of tennis shoes one day and I asked him why the hell he would spend 120 bucks on a pair of tennis shoes?
He said the 120 ones last longer that the 20 dollar ones.
I said for 120 bucks I could have brand new shoes 5-6 times a year, and they would only have to last two months.

I can't wear $20 tennis shoes either. I'm on my feet about twelve hours straight and my back and legs would be killing me. $80 Nike's are good and don't cause any pain but don't last worth a damn.

How much longer till your car is back on the road again?
It'll be nice to get it back running again won't it?

If this project keeps snow balling it may be this time next year! Seriously, the machine shop has been given permission to put me back into their working que. They have a couple of customer ahead of me, but maybe by Labor Day I'm hoping. I still have to get the engine compartment painted before I stick the new engine in. Should be able to start on that next weekend.

If this project keeps snow balling it may be this time next year! Seriously, the machine shop has been given permission to put me back into their working que. They have a couple of customer ahead of me, but maybe by Labor Day I'm hoping. I still have to get the engine compartment painted before I stick the new engine in. Should be able to start on that next weekend.

Anymore there seems to be no telling what the quality of parts are, even right off the shelf and I figure if the starter goes out (been about a year now without any issue's at all) I can get another one for 15 bucks. :)
They are so easy to change it's almost rediculous.

It would drive me frikin nuts if I had that black Dart and it didn't run for months.
Hope you get it done quick and it comes out nice.

My next major project is going to be a 360 swap for the 318.
Kind of a shame in a way because this little sucker runs about perfect, but I do get an occasional puff of blue smoke after it's been running already and I shut it off for a few min then start it again. (valve stem seals)
Other than that the 318 has been flawless and I drive it all over the place on a regular basis.
I would like to find a nice LA360, but there are not many around.
There are plenty of Magnum roller motors, but I'm not looking forward to having to change a bunch of stuff to run one.

tff-6084b_ml.jpg

If you want to spend $100 for a Tuff Stuff sticker, by all means go for it !!!
Because all you are buying is a re-manufacturerd part.
Not trying to tell you how to build, maybe moneys not an issue ?

If this doesnt help you, maybe it can help others. :)

I have never had an issue with a junkyard starter yet. Just grab some Dawn and a brush, and they look close to new when done.

No need to go to the junk yard, I've got this one setting on my workbench. It's been cleaned up and spins fine. It has been on my Dart for the last seven years. I guess you're right, I've got more money than sense. Everything else on my engine is either brand new or rebuilt. I can't bring myself to bolt an old starter on a new engine. Especially since it's one of those things that can leave you waiting for a tow truck.

31F95A62-0BD8-4DAE-B855-961C34945658_zpsl7njfn5b.jpg

No need to go to the junk yard, I've got this one setting on my workbench. It's been cleaned up and spins fine. It has been on my Dart for the last seven years. I guess you're right, I've got more money than sense. Everything else on my engine is either brand new or rebuilt. I can't bring myself to bolt an old starter on a new engine. Especially since it's one of those things that can leave you waiting for a tow truck.

31F95A62-0BD8-4DAE-B855-961C34945658_zpsl7njfn5b.jpg

7 years ? That thing is proven, no tow truck needed !!!!!
In sincerity, I understand. I am a bit of a perfectionist myself. New motor deserves a nice shiney starter. :)

Yeah, I think I'll hang on to it just in case. You never know when you might need a starter and the parts store is closed.

Hi Guy's

I am ready to install my starter but I have a question about the connector in the picture I've attached to this post. Everybody say that you need to remove the "plastic connector" to install the starter. Is this the connector that I am pointing to in the picture? If so how do you remove it? I don't want to break anything. By the way what is the connector for?

Thanks In Advance

I have the same starter and need this connector as my wire falls off and you can imagine what a pain in the hole that is. Anyone find the Chrysler P/N or lead me to a year / model to look up online?

I have the same starter and need this connector as my wire falls off and you can imagine what a pain in the hole that is. Anyone find the Chrysler P/N or lead me to a year / model to look up online?

There seems to be different variations (manufacturer) of these starters. SOME of them have a piece that can be removed, leaving you with stud terminals just like the old wound field starter

I don't think I'm lucky enough to have that particular starter. The plastic housing appears to be moulded to the solenoid and contains a single miniature male spade terminal. Exactly like the one pictures in post #14 / page 1. I've got a crushed female spade terminal ATM and it is losing it clamping and falling off.

I believe the year of the starter in post 14 (and mine) looks to be from a 2000 dakota. I see a plug offered in mopar electrical 05017122AA. Lists for over 30.00. I can get a whole used starter and harness for less than this so that's the route I'm taking.

I lucked into a remanned denso mopar mini starter at my local starter alternator rebuilder. It had been on the shelf for awhile after being gone thru and rebuilt. $39.00 plus 1 year warr. Any dodge pickup or ram van with a magnum V8 or V6 will have one.

I realize this thread is old but. I need one of these pigtails for my mini starter. Does any one have one or tell me where to buy one?

-
Back