Mini starter PLZZUZUZUZUZUZUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Well I'm a little miffed!!!

'T other day the starter started "slipping". I've never had this problem before in all my years.

Last night, got it on the hoist, removed the dust cover, and examined the converter. Could not get the symptoms to show themselves, but the converter/ ring gear "looked" like they had turned --rust paint pattern didn't match. So I applied a few spsot welds

and..............it slips.

So NOW I can see that the starter drive is not turning, so it's "in" the starter. I just put the thing on the car last summer, I doubt it's started this engine a hundred times!!

Damn modern technology, anyhow!!!!

Might be a dumb question but are the gears lining up perfectly? Do these starters sometimes need a shim? Sorry if it's a stupid question, Just throwing ideas.

It's not gear alignment. The over-run clutch is slipping. I'll get it off today and get "to the bottom" of it.

Hell, I've got 3 or 4 original style starters. It just ticks me off this thing gave up so quick.

and...................I'm out the door to "get dirty."

Is it spinning and not catching or not turning at all?
If its spinning then the bendix is out and not letting it engage the converter gears.
If its not spinning then its wore out or check the relay on the fender(cross the bolts with a screwdriver).Or maybe the key switch.
My knowledge of starters is also several years old as I haven't had to replace one in awhile so I could be a little mixed up on this.

It's not gear alignment. The over-run clutch is slipping. I'll get it off today and get "to the bottom" of it.

Hell, I've got 3 or 4 original style starters. It just ticks me off this thing gave up so quick.

and...................I'm out the door to "get dirty."
10-4 Just wishful thinking. DaRn rains got mine stuck in the garage.

It's not a cheby...you don't shim a MOPAR!!!!.....unless your using adapters or aftermarket pieces.

I hope it wasn't the $47 "rebuilt in USA w/ pride" ones you see on ebay from a SoCal shop, since I bought two. I recall SSD or another said "avoid those". Too bad you don't have a slant. Changing the starter is so easy. My early A SB was a mega-b** until I put in the mini.

.............came in for lunch............

No this was a NAPA, I forget if it was new, lifetime, etc, have to try n find the receipt

The drive engages, but does not turn the converter. IF you "lay on it" the pitch of the "slip" whine goes down, like it's heating up, and it finally will turn.

.................back out, grease n all..................

It's not a cheby...you don't shim a MOPAR!!!!.....unless your using adapters or aftermarket pieces.
Not to argue but....I once pulled a starter out of a stock Mopar with a 4 speed and It had shims. Anyway, it sounds like the problem is something else but I have a buddy that had to shim a mini to get it not to "spin"

My bracket racer starters have done this 3 times. It's a very high compression 360 and I've been using parts store starters, none of which has held up. I'm running a powerglide with a J.W. Wheel and I thought there were alignment issues, but after much checking, I found it's definitely the starters slipping. I am going to go with an aftermarket high torque starter.

UPDATE She's fixed. I just bought and paid for another. If I find the receipt, it's got a 3 year warrantee and I can take the first one back for credit.

What DOES tick me off is NAPA does not show a starter drive for this motor. I may look around, O'Really, etc, and see if I can get a drive. If so, I may just keep it as a spare.

-
Back