Mini Starters on a Slant Six

-
25 mm 9 tooth starter pinion also used on australian hemi 6 146 tooth ringear and australian 318 when used with an australian bellhousing

plumb crazy will sell loads of them all day long, and usually sucessfully .

if you want the chrysler starter sound just get an austrlain original bosch starter for a hemi 6 with 148 tooth ring gear its huge its 50 years old but it will work.
25 mm 9 tooth
or 27 mm 10 tooth (which has its pinion offset out from crank centre by 1 mm, but the same mounting pattern
both do the same job

for converting a common or garden denso mini

WOSP https://www.wosperformance.co.uk/spares
have 9 tooth 25 mm thin skirt with lead, and fat skirt with no lead pinions,
The former is not listed you'd have to ask the owner nicely, he had a batch made and had no demand so they sit in his warehouse until sombody asks, the latter involves shiming the starter back
if you look at the exmaples here it should be obvious why :)
Hi Torque Starter Motors > Denso Spare Pinions - 9T 25mm Diameter Pinion Kit - Auto Electric Supplies Website

nice teeth shame about the skirt
lmpk0925l-ccw_orig.jpg

Castle Auto Electonics In Australia sell a 9 tooth 25 mm denso pinion as well
but they would rather you buy a whole starter.
www.caeperformanceproducts.com.au - EFI Conversions

noitce how their's is a bit crap. look at the flat front to the pinion teeth. thats gonna bounce off the ring gear half the time isn't it.. I know becasue i had one
cae-110a.jpg

The australians and South Africans and Canadians all used a 25mm 9 tooth pinion starter at some point. the Austrlians for at least 11 years on most of the cars they sold.

so did the GenII street hemi in the US for the first run of cars

this makes it a rare combination in the USA but it is common in those other places.

This causes utmost confusion in markets that imported lots of second hand US mopars to a place where Australian/SA/Canadian/1960 slant 6 mopars were also sold. everyone forgets the Aussie stuff was different.

plumbcrazy are buying pinion-less densos from denso or Other US based Mopar parts supplier and are adding the type of pinion Slant 6 dan pointed out

if the starter doesn't disengage, i suspect another issue, it was on crooked with the snout end hung up and not seated in the hole in the bottom of the well in the bell housing or some how you got a pinion designed to rotate the engine the oposite way.

plumbcrazy are selling a standard fitment upgrade starter denso off a dakota 5.2 with a 9 tooth pinion

Tnx Slant 6 dan i will get a spare pinion

Dave

Fer sher, fer sher!
Hey SlantSixDan,

Thought I'd share some pics of the finished product from IMI that they sent me! Can't wait to get it and bolt her on! all quality parts - no china junk.
Chris got me to give him a few more measurements and pics of the original starter and custom built me a starter that will work.

Thanks again!

IMG_2735.jpeg

IMG_2732.jpeg

IMG_2734.jpeg

IMG_2733.jpeg

H'mmm. This is not the starter I would pick; I would go with the standard Chrysler mini starter retrofitted with a 9-tooth pinion. Reason: the Chrysler mini starter has a nose cone which fits into a recess in the bellhousing fix the location of starter relative to the ring gear, much more precisely than just the bolts holding on this no-nose starter.

Also, my way would be a lot less expensive.

On the other hand, it looks like this starter will accept the "seal" (shim plate) from your original direct-drive starter, so there's that.

He gains with the clock-able mount which may be useful if combo of engine trans and headers doesn't play nice i.e the starter above would be very useful if it was being installed on an early 383 or 440 which has a big boss in the side that serves no use when installed but was presumably of use when the engine was on the production line. it tends to spoil a standard mini starter install on just some big blocks. usual process is to grind it off. with a clock-able stater you can move the body away from the block/boss and the electrical connection access is easier.

but as you say not necessary on the slant. or indeed as i have found on a hemi 6

Dave

-
Back