Mini tubbing, springs and backspacing

-

DQ81

'73 Dart
Reaction score
A much discussed topic yet I couldn't find the answer to my problem.

I've got 8.5J wheels mounted with 255/60/15's , they are too wide on the outside and will require me to alter the outside of my rear quarters. The offset/backspacing is aprox 3.5"

This means there is about 1" between the rubber and the rear leaf spring, so I could fit this wheel/tire combo with a different wheel with a different backspacing.

If I were to mini-tub where do I put my leaf springs? I can't see the point without relocating them.

What's the ideal backspacing and how close can I put the tire to the leaf spring safely so it doesn't rub with travel etc.?

TIA
David

If you do the mini tub, you will put the leaf spring in to the rear frame rails. As for your backspacing and wheel size that will be left to you and the length of your rear end.

P1004766.jpg

Just get the right size rims.I have 15x7(i think)ralleys,there custom made by somebody,small bolt pattern.Anyway,i have 255/70/15s on them,and i have 1/2 inch clearance from the wheel lip and a good 1 inch clearance between the springs and the tire.I havent measured the rims,because the tires were already mounted when i got them.

dart wheels 008.jpg

dart wheels 010.jpg

dart wheels 017.jpg

dart wheels 020.jpg

dart wheels 022.jpg

On my Demon I relocated the springs and mini-tubbed it. I've got 15"X10" Weld wheels with 6-1/2" backspace and 295-50 X 15" tires on it with about an inch of clearance from the springs.

HPIM0690.jpg

HPIM0689.jpg

dang!Once you mini tub an abody,sure makes 10 inch rims and 295s look small!I never realized it.I minutubbed a 70 340 dart,and fit 15/9.5 centerlines under the rear,with 7 inch backspace,29/12.50/15 micheythompson et streets.It was a tight fit,but a fairly cheap adjustable panhardbar kept the rear from moving side to side,so there were no side to side clearance issues.It also had the 3 inch spring relocation,drag shocks with 3 inch iron drop blocks,superstock rear springs

70 swinger 340.jpg

spring relocation kits are fairly cheap too. check out jegs or summit for them

Got the Dodge and the grinder to meet today.

I'm redoing my rear quarters in a style inspired by a Hemi Dart...

It's simple, rugged, mean and badass imo.

I'll post some pics of the process when I'm done.

One of the reasons I"m doing this is that shipping origional quartes would cost me an arm and a leg to here in Holland and that my outwer wheel wells are rotten and I really like the look. Later I'll do a mini-tub and then it will be madness in tire size!! Although it's probably not even going to be necessary for street use...

Will post when it's done with as many step by steps.

David

-
Back