Mini tubs????

-

snoreen40

Reaction score
I'm toying with the idea of mini tubs. Anyone? How hard are they? I've herd you don't have to touch the out side of The quarter panel. Yes? --- new paint, can't touch that. Do you have to move the springs? I need bigger tires in back. Any Ideas on this would be great. athanks

I'm toying with the idea of mini tubs. Anyone? How hard are they? I've herd you don't have to touch the out side of The quarter panel. Yes? --- new paint, can't touch that. Do you have to move the springs? I need bigger tires in back. Any Ideas on this would be great. athanks

Outter wheel house untouched . Look up U.S. Cartool. They have a nice kit

You might get away with just relocating your springs with a kit. It moves them inline with the frame rail.

That would give you a tad more room.

I would suggest moving the outter house as well but it depends on what your goals are and what car your mini tubbing.

Mini tubs without spring relocation doesn't gain you a whole lot- you move the metal flush with the frame rail, but the leaf spring is still sitting 2 1/2" away from the edge of the frame rail. Once you do the mini tubs, doing the spring relo is the easy part, IMO.

I have done this to a couple of cars. You don't touch the outer wheel well or quarter. All your doing is moving the inner over against the frame. I would get the spring relocation kit & move the springs. This will give you an extra 3 in. On a dart that I had, with all that done I had 15x10 wheels w/ 5 in. back spacing. 325x50x15 tires. Looked really good. I can give you an idea of what you gonna need to do if you wish. PS. you are gonna have to cut the spot welds on the trunk bracket.

I have done this to a couple of cars. You don't touch the outer wheel well or quarter. All your doing is moving the inner over against the frame. I would get the spring relocation kit & move the springs. This will give you an extra 3 in. On a dart that I had, with all that done I had 15x10 wheels w/ 5 in. back spacing. 325x50x15 tires. Looked really good. I can give you an idea of what you gonna need to do if you wish. PS. you are gonna have to cut the spot welds on the trunk bracket.

But.... If you want the car really low or you want to run a 12" wheel then you should cut the outer house and square it to the quarter, you can just seem seal it or bond it. You do not have to weld to the quarter panel.

If you are interested in not doing any sheetmetal work but want more room look into the offset kit. A 10.50 will fit and it's nearly a bolt on deal other than the spring perches which are a breeze,.

The first point of interference is not the wheelwell, it's the leaf spring.

Move the leaf over and you'll get another 1/2" and pretty close to the existing inner well.

Doing a mini tub and not moving the spring is a worthless endeavor.

I agree with CRACKEDBACK. If you don't do both the spring relocation and the mini-tub you haven't gained anything much really.

I just did both on my 71 Dart this winter.
It was the first time I ever did it. Saying that it took me a long time to do each project and I did them both seperately rather than trying to do them at the same time that some may be able to do.
It took me approx. 4 days each to complete them, and I feel like I did an excellent job.
I did plan it out and get my parts first then completed it during the winter so I had lots of time.
I did the spring movement first and the mini-tub second.
It wasn't that difficult, but I had a couple friends to talk to whenever I had questions.
If you are a decient welder or have someone who can that makes it easier too.

My biggest tip would be don't rush it, and if you start to get frustrated step back and think of a solution rather than push forward and worry about it later. Oh ya mesure 2 or 3 times before you start cutting.

Good luck.

Thanks guys. I'll keep in touch with everyone with questions as I go. I've got some things to sort-out first

-
Back