Minimum 904 Endplay Problem?

-

Creedmoor

Recovering Fordaholic
Reaction score
I may have a clearance issue. Suspended the trans and and got a max endplay of .044, which is acceptably in the middle of the range (.022 - .091). Could definitely hear the "clunks" on the up and down stops. Good so far.

With the dial indicator still zeroed on the input shaft, I then proceeded to put the weight of the trans on the tailshaft. As I did so the dial indicator moved up to .033. This didn't seem right. I next re-zeroed the indicator and took an endplay reading. Lifting the input shaft seemed to require a noticeably harder pull and the needle did move a little. I got .013. But it really did seem like it took more effort to get. No "clunks" either.

Since putting the trans weight on the tailshaft moved the needle, I think I have essentially 0.0" for minimum clearance. What do you think fellas? Am I going to have to take it apart again?

ETA: After sleeping on this I think I'm OK.When the trans is suspended the input shaft is sitting very close to, if not touching, the output shaft. When I put upward pressure (with a small bottle jack) on the output shaft it would have lifted it and the gear train along with the clutch packs and input shaft until all the slack was taken out. By leaving the indicator zeroed I know how far the whole assembly moved - .033". Rezeroing at this point and lifting the input shaft gave me the minimum endplay of .013". Adding those two numbers together nets a total of .046", which is really close (within .002") to my total measured endplay of .044". What say you?

Attachments

• IMG_0609.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 209
I always measure with the output shaft pushed in so as to take the minimum reading and .013" is pretty tight but you should be ok. If you have a thinner input to output shaft thrust washer that'd loosen it up a little it would probably be better

Thanks Fishy. My washer kit was apparently not for this tranny, so I don't have a thinner one handy. I know the downside of too much clearance, but what happens when things are a skosh too tight? More heat, accelerated wear?

Speaking of washers, those big ones with the tabs that locate them on the planetaries, the new ones in my kit only had three tabs on them. The ones that came out (and went back in) all had four tabs. Is that a three vs four pinion thing?

those thrust washer kits changed somewhere around 1974....I had to order the 4 tang washers separate ...

Thrust washers are different for 3 & 4 pinion planetarys & also different for steel & aluminium planetarys.

Thanks Fishy. My washer kit was apparently not for this tranny, so I don't have a thinner one handy. I know the downside of too much clearance, but what happens when things are a skosh too tight? More heat, accelerated wear?

Speaking of washers, those big ones with the tabs that locate them on the planetaries, the new ones in my kit only had three tabs on them. The ones that came out (and went back in) all had four tabs. Is that a three vs four pinion thing?

Sorry I didn't get back any sooner. Busy week. As mentioned by the others there are several different planetary washers depending on what planetary gearsets you have. Yes too tight can overheat things but your fine where you are.

-
Back