Misc. 440 questions.

-

Vamisk

Reaction score
So i've been robbing parts from my 383 and i had a couple of questions regarding the 440.

1. Do any head bolts require sealant? I've been dunking them in ATF before i spin some down just to test fit but I've heard from unreliable sources that a few head bolts thread into water passages.

2. I want to use the points distributor from the 383 while i refresh the wiring in the car. the distributor drive shaft is about an inch too short. Can it be modified to function on the 440 somehow? If not has anyone had any experience with Proform brand distributors?

3. Finally i bought a C body HP (not sure if it really is a legitimate HP) manifold. Has anyone had any experience getting an RV passenger manifold to fit in an A body? I don't care about performance right now so much as having a running engine.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

So i've been robbing parts from my 383 and i had a couple of questions regarding the 440.

1. Do any head bolts require sealant? I've been dunking them in ATF before i spin some down just to test fit but I've heard from unreliable sources that a few head bolts thread into water passages.

Not that I know of.

2. I want to use the points distributor from the 383 while i refresh the wiring in the car. the distributor drive shaft is about an inch too short. Can it be modified to function on the 440 somehow? If not has anyone had any experience with Proform brand distributors?

You need the RB (Raised Block...413, 426W or 440) distributor shaft. You can put a 440 dizzy in a 383 (with adapter), but not the other way.

3. Finally i bought a C body HP (not sure if it really is a legitimate HP) manifold. Has anyone had any experience getting an RV passenger manifold to fit in an A body? I don't care about performance right now so much as having a running engine.

I personally haven't tried. I did a set of old log-style ones to fit way back in time.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Not that I know of.

You need the RB (Raised Block...413, 426W or 440) distributor shaft. You can put a 440 dizzy in a 383 (with adapter), but not the other way. Check with @halifaxhops ...he may have a cheap RB dizzy you can buy.

I personally haven't tried. I did get a set of old log-style ones to fit way back in time.

Post a photo of your C-body manifolds, casting numbers too. I have some available in PA that may give you another choice if the ones you have are not workable in your car.

I only bought the drivers side manifold as I've been trying to find deals. I cant afford to spend $600 on a pair

The casting numbers are damaged, I'll try to get a clean picture of them.
20181007_163051.jpg

So it's not a HP manifold? I'm not really bothered as long as it fits.

The 4-bbl applications are HP. The 2-bbl application is not, but it is the same casting.

I have some RB distributorss that will work or a shaft you can put in that housing if needed. Shoot me a PM if interested prob easier to talk.

20181007_133436.jpg
Nice, thanks Kim and Alaskan. That's a load off my back.

Why did RV motors come with six pack rods when they only had like 7.5:1 compression? Mine is so equipped however the rods actually look fairly small.

Last edited:
No head bolts into coolant, but the four end exhaust manifold bolts do go to coolant.

-
Back