Miss and carb tuning troubleshooting

-
Well I'll be damned, that flippin horse puckey PCV routing was my afr issue, curb idle also dropped down to 850 and still 650 in gear. Re-routed the pcv and threw the orange springs in before I left work, and holy hell the carb is pretty much spot on now, 14-15s cruising 40-70, some small hops to 16 if I am barely touching the gas at speed below 40, 13s when I ease on the gas to accelerate a bit and 12.5-12.8s flooring it. Hell, it doesn't miss as bad at speed either. God damn. Still pops, but most likely a header leak as stated. I am pretty darn happy right now, had a giant grin on my face driving home the whole time and wasted quite a bit of gas while I was at it lol..... hey AJ, I noticed my trans seems over filled when warm, could that cause the rpm gap when going from park to drive? Many thanks.

*edit* Still 950 curb idle, hopefully I'll get to the bottom of this.

Last edited:
Update, found not one, but two exhaust leaks. Was checking my choke adjustment before I left work, fast idle at 1500 and I cold hear this tiny noise, stuck my finger around the flanges and low and behold I found hot exhaust gas hittin my finger, leaking past the header flange onto the primaries on cylinder 5 and 6. Is this a common issue on dougs? sorta odd it's on adjacent cylinders. The car had the miss as soon as I fired her up after I first put them on, so i don't think they blew out, and I put a good amount of high temp silicon around the sealing areas. Thinking the gaskets could possibly be off a tad bit? Pics below show where it's leaking. I'll pull em off tomorrow to see whats really going on. Things are coming together!

Another update, no compression numbers yet, had a very limited time to work on the car outside Sunday, was able to rebuild the carb, was pretty nasty..floats not set that great either. T-port sync was pretty dead on when I removed it, just barely a tad under square.. Verified tdc, mark is spot on on the balancer. Reset base timing to 15* btdc, had best vacuum, rpm, then set idle mixture. Verified my vac gauge, it's good. Warmed up, curb idle in neutral at 800 rpm, 650 in gear with the brake applied. 1/2 in wood spacer seems to have helped everything over all too. Ordered some Remflex exhaust manifold gaskets, seems like they are my ticket to get rid of my leak. Carb is almost dialed, ordered 7047 and 7147 metering rods to get the cruise afr where I want it, the 7347 rods in it right now are so damn close, and fixing the leak will probably get rid of my last afr woes. Spark plugs also look very nice.

-
Back