Missing Dash VIN

-

four_gear

Reaction score
I purchased a 1972 340 Duster with a four speed a number of years ago and it has been my project ever since. I am in a dilema at the moment. It is missing the Vin tag on the dash. I have the vin number in the door jamb and the fender tag. The stamping on the rad support and the package tray are correct. I am not doubting that the car is a factory four speed 340, but i don't know what to do about the missing dash tag. It is really bothering me. I have looked into having one reproduced but have had no luck. If anyone has any suggestions as to what i should do i would greatly appreciate it. I just dont like the fact that anyone and everyone will be able to see that it is missing.

part it out i dont think its road legal to drive without the vin plate.

well you might be able to have mopar make one if you can document the car but i may be wrong...

if you can at least get the info from mopar about that car have one made that is correct...

i think if you have the title in your name you can probably go to the dmv and get a replacement vin plate. Ive seen cars that had that done before. It will probably hurt the value of the car a whole bunch though.

Im not about to part it out. I can have one issued from the insurance company, but it wont be the right number or be put on a steel vin tag.

What happens in the states don't have anything to do with Elrose, SK. You would need to contact your local DMV and see what the process is where you live.

go buy another vin plate for it and rivet it on and get a title for it. You can buy them on ebay or find one from a donor car (junk-yard). I'm not sure its legal to do this but it works as long as your not doing this to conceal a stolen vehicle.

here is the problem. you know ti is a 340 -4- speed car. but to the rest of the world, it will become a 72 duster, and not be able to tell the engine size.

you have to go through dmv as stated, and they will inspect and issue a new vin tag for the car, but will not be the same that is on the car now!.

also, just so you know, if you hand that title in or tell them the situation, they will make you surrender that title to be destroyed. so, if/when you do go through with it, just know that by law, a car with no vin tag present is against the law, and say you go there and then decide not to do it the way they want you to, they will have a sherrif come to your house for you to give up the title. friend had that happen

ya thats my dilema. i can get one made up from my insurance company, but its gonna have a number like "SASK0123456789" and all of a sudden it just looks like a made up car. I do have another 1972 slant 6 duster with a dash vin, but its just not the same.

i would go with the insurance number, as if you hold the title to the actual car, and the rad is numbered with the title, engine and trans. so, if you ever sold, you could prove it is real, but dash tag was missing, rather than turning it into a 6 cyl car

I ran into this issue with a Challenger.I talked to Galen Govier about it.Here is what he told me.If you can prove what the car is I will not make you one myself but I know someone who will.You have all the right stuff to prove what the car is,although a buildsheet will also help a great deal.

Jim

I know in my state you can apply to the state and get a salvage title and vin plate this way at least it will be legal.If you have the title you can trace the history you need to tell the state that the vin plate rusted away.they will ask for other numbers on the car as like the ones you have mentioned.This is something i have done in the past once my self and couple of times with friends.Now that being said every state handles these thing very differently.Hey worst case sell me the car ill get a vin for it and sell it back to you you know for huge mark up as now it would be legal.Na just kidding but would help if i could.Good luck.

I REMEMBER someone on here had a reproduction vin tag made. but he also keeps the rusty original in the glove box just in case.
i cant find the thread/ or remember were he got it. but it can be done.
i think datatags.com can do it they dont advertise it you have to call them.
thats the best i can do with my google-fu.

As long as all the #s from the title and the ones stamped into the car are the same your ok. If the authorities questions why the vin is missing just say the original dash was damaged and replaced but the tag got lost in the process, there's nothing illegal about not having a vin tag on the dash so long as its elsewhere on the car. Now riviting a different vin plate to the dash with a # that doesn't belong to that vehical is a felony if you get caught. The value of you car is probably about the same as a 318 or slant six car without the vin plate on the dash and it will deminish even farther if you get a new vin assigned to it.

Here in Ilinois you MUST have a tag a vin tag.If you are caught without one the State may impound your car.If everthing checks out the State will issue a State vin plate with the original vin #...I would not even think about driving that car without a missing vin tag.Do yourself a favor and contact your State Police and atleast have a State tag issued.

Jim

-
Back