Missing motors

-

oldpunko77

72 Dusta
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
As the finding out all the details so back the day in 70s and 80s I find many hippies mopar racers find many 340s, hemi pulling out the cars so no wonder where all those missing motors coming from.

I was a kid in the 70s but the story I heard about 340s was they didn't last long, a 340 for instance in a 70 swinger 340 may have been blown up and done by 1975 or 1977 and replaced by a junkyard 318. people did junkyard engine swaps instead of rebuilds especially guys just driving these cheap used cars to work. also keep oin mind the 70s gas crunch peopel would also just throw a 318 2 barrel in also and swap the rear to 2 76s for economy.

Yeah that one of things does happens since I bought this 72 340 duster missing lot of parts such as motor and trans and interiors bucket seat that was born with so it my guess some one who doesn't like bench seats on his car decide to take it all from this car to another and left this car for the dead so car isn't wreck or any other way so it part of clue why it that way .

Can you buy a couple of period’s and comma’s.
1674666006770.jpeg
:lol:

I was a kid in the 70s but the story I heard about 340s was they didn't last long, a 340 for instance in a 70 swinger 340 may have been blown up and done by 1975 or 1977 and replaced by a junkyard 318. people did junkyard engine swaps instead of rebuilds especially guys just driving these cheap used cars to work. also keep oin mind the 70s gas crunch peopel would also just throw a 318 2 barrel in also and swap the rear to 2 76s for economy.
One of my cousins had an AAR Cuda, and he went through close to half a dozen 340s before he sold it. Damn fast car that was! He lived a couple of blocks from a Chrysler dealer in those days, I'm sure they welcomed him and gladly took his money.

Back in the late 70's or early 80's I bought a1971 340 4 speed duster for the drivetrain to put in my 66 Barracuda race car. I sold the body and 4 speed to a buddy and he installed a 318 and drove it daily.

LOL..........I had a buddy pull a 340 from a rust free numbers matching '70 B5 340 4 speed Swinger and put it in a Cordoba. He wanted a sleeper.......Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Can any of you other guys figure out what he’s trying to say? Obviously I need a translator.

Or some of us, pulled 340's and stuck a 360 in the car to sell it. I still have three 340's in the basement.
I have two myself , but they came with my car. One was ready to assemble the other I had to do some work to. But this shows how valued they were back in the day. I don't think some people get it now.

Can any of you other guys figure out what he’s trying to say? Obviously I need a translator.
I am assuming he is from California possibly hispanic dsoesn't write English well, and I have no problem with that i cant speak or write Spainish. But I can understand what he's saying. He's saying his car was missing the original engine, and interior pieces etc. He's also asking not to be piled on, he's a FABO Gold member.

Well lol you guys are funny haha well in case one of your motor could be Belong to my duster in case you wondering VS29H2B208646 perhaps .

I am NOT making fun of you. I am NOT disrespecting you.

If I was, I’d blow you off. I just don’t understand what you are trying to tell me. I think its important.

Yes but never know what happen to it back then so I figured it out base on how and why it went missing since the car been off the road in between 1984 to 1987 , so I bought this car March 2019 barely nothing as a roller it was pretty good shape but don't understand why taken bunch of parts even though it is real 340 car and left it for the dead at that time.

Reminds me of a story/joke: an old man calls the dealership and says " you'll have to come and get my car, the motor is missin'..." the service writer says" thats ok sir just drive it in if you can and well tune it up for ya...' old man says "I cant the motors missin', it ain't there..." :) hearkens back to the days when people stole your engine in the middle of the night LOL!

Last edited:
Yeah I was told duster consider as a throw away muscle car so it seems that way.

Yeah I was told duster consider as a throw away muscle car so it seems that way.
Yeah they were up until about maybe 20-25 years ago. The 340 was hot but big block Mopar was the cream of the crop. in the 80s-90s 340 was just a small block to some, even thoug hit is the best factory small block LOL!

-
Back