Missing motors

-
So you are looking for your original 340 motor for your duster? Correct?

Yes any 340 car is worth restoring to original, but you have to be careful with the money you put into it as they tend to not command a high price and are not deemed highly collectible.

But thats the crowd that never owned or have driven one, especially back in the day. Guaranteed they won’t tell you how they got their doors blown off by one. I smoked so many big block corvettes its hilarious.

I also am looking for the original engine to my 69 swinger. Good luck with your search.

Yes I was looking it would be nice to re united back to the car but other choice use warranty block drop in as correct match the date for the car it not easy to do this.

Reminds me of a story/joke: an old man calls the dealership and says " you'll have to come and get my car, the motor is missin'..." the service writer says" thats ok sir just drive it in if you can and well tune it up for ya...' old man says "I cant the motors missin', it ain't there..."  hearkens back to the days when people stole your engine in the middle of the night LOL!

I bought up as many as I could back then . Todd and I stripped more 340 cars then you could imagine . Where do you all think I got all the parts. I have been selling for a long time and I still have pretty much. To think a couple years ago I offere everyything to a member for $10,000. He stood me up.

Since that time I made over 50,000 on the parts and built some cars with them. The 340's were puled from A-bodies and sold to the people building E-bodies. They had the money. I had my share of E-bodies , I never like the way you sat in them or the ride. I would take a 60-70 b-body first.

My favorites I've owned in order was 69 corronet R/T, Air grabber 70 Road Runner, Air grabber 71 Road runner, 68 Charger R/T. All were 4 spd. Dana cars. Then I bought a 340 4 spd 69 swinger. That is when the 340's grew on me. That little car was like a over powered Go-cart . I owned it the longest and couldn't kill it. And believe me I tried It was the bar room bouncer on weekends

69%204spd%20dart[1].jpg

Oldmanmopar well sound about right how 340s does that when I push it hard.

Well lol you guys are funny haha well in case one of your motor could be Belong to my duster in case you wondering VS29H2B208646 perhaps .
Don't let them bother you. Some of us understand what your are saying and get your concern. This site is great just watch what you say to some no name calling or calling his friends out. The man with the tools always has their back. Your from out west so you should be OK.

I bought up as many as I could back then . Todd and I stripped more 340 cars then you could imagine . Where do you all think I got all the parts. I have been selling for a long time and I still have pretty much. To think a couple years ago I offere everyything to a member for $10,000. He stood me up.

Since that time I made over 50,000 on the parts and built some cars with them. The 340's were puled from A-bodies and sold to the people building E-bodies. They had the money. I had my share of E-bodies , I never like the way you sat in them or the ride. I would take a 60-70 b-body first.

My favorites I've owned in order was 69 corronet R/T, Air grabber 70 Road Runner, Air grabber 71 Road runner, 68 Charger R/T. All were 4 spd. Dana cars. Then I bought a 340 4 spd 69 swinger. That is when the 340's grew on me. That little car was like a over powered Go-cart . I owned it the longest and couldn't kill it. And believe me I tried It was the bar room bouncer on weekends

View attachment 1716039531
Nice "look at me" sales pitch you got going for about the ten millionth time on here, but piss off already

Here's a statistic that has no answer - how many cars are out there now, with missing numbers motor that had rods through the block and are gone - trashed block, swapped to a 318 or 383 2bbl if a big block? You buy a nice body with a missing motor - the motor got scrapped 3 owners ago, that fact lost to time.

Here's a statistic that has no answer - how many cars are out there now, with missing numbers motor that had rods through the block and are gone - trashed block, swapped to a 318 or 383 2bbl if a big block? You buy a nice body with a missing motor - the motor got scrapped 3 owners ago, that fact lost to time.
I am sure many of those.

In 1980 I bought a complete 50,000 mile 340 drivetrain from a 71 Demon for $50. Gas had just hit $1 a gallon and people were freaking out. The guy replaced the 340 with a 6 cyl.

A kind of related story. My 70 340 Swinger I bought it with a 318 2 barrel in it. I went to get the "spare parts" in the parts trailer was a 30 over non numbers matching engine, a crank that was also machined and a set of J heads and a set of x heads. The machines stuff was ready to go togeteher so I built it originally in the mid 90s with what was there the block crank and x heads with a cast iron TQ intake and TRW 30 over pistons with the dome,and a Crane SSH 320 cam. It was a bit too radical for what I wanted to do so I tore it down in 2008 installed a lower comp KB 243 piston and a milder SUM K 6901 cam. I also in the deal got the numbers matching block and a set of J hads. I am now assembling a "stock style" 340 with standard bore pistons , J heads and I am thinking of having that SSH 320 reground and throwing it in, seeing what it would do . i alsi have a lakewood bellhousing that came with the car. Someone started putting race parts on this Dart in the 80s I suspect. When I got it it had a 318 a 2.76 rear and the 4 spoeed and the guy was using it as a daily driver work car.i have since started putting it back with the 340 4 speed 3.91s etc. I keep going back and forth between resto and race so I have too make up my mind but what I have is parts to make it a racer, the lakewood bell, a single plane intake, dual plane intakes various carbs from 600 edelbrock to 600 and 750 Holleys etc. that Crane cam, its all vintage stuff at this point but thats kind of the fun of it really...put parts on that would have been used in the late 70s. Nostalgia LOL!

I use to make them in 70 71. Designed for life span of 50k miles and 3 years. Throw away, buy again. Remember that no one would finance past 3 years too.

The Dart Swing was the body of choice, for me.
Bought one new in 70, after wrecking my 68 Hemi RR, that I also purchased new in the winter of 1968.

When I wrecked the RR, the insurance company totaled the car. The insurance adjuster came to my house, looked at the car, it had rolled and did a nice slide on it's roof.
It took them about 8 days to sens a truck to pick it up. In that time we were able to pull the Hemi, the 833 4 speed, and the Dana 60. The car was just 3 years old.

About a year before that I purchased a 69 GTX from my neighbor. The car was a year old with 1600 (hundred) miles on it. He sold it to me for the remaining payments. About 16 months at at $86 a month ( about $1400). It was a 440/4Bbl, 833, and a Dana 60. My goal was to put the Hemi into the GTX, and the 440 into my 340 Dart.

The 70 340 was rated at about 275 HP. with a few changes you could see 300+ out of them without spending a ton of money. Remember, this was during a time when you could by a factory replacement engine, like a stock 383 rated at 335HP, with no mods.

I sold the 340 to a friend for enough money to by what i needed (some used, some new) to put the 440 into the Dart, and abot 8 months or so later we started converting the GTX to take the hemi.

That's my only "340 story". I was never a big fan of the 340, just seemed to be more hype than not. By 73 they were down to 240HP, and you could buy a junk yard 318 from a few years earlier that would have had a 230HP rating with a 2 Bbl carb! The 318 in my 76 B200 van with an Edlebrock "Streetmaster 318" Manifold, a Carter 625 cfm AFB, a set of cheap 1-5/8" primary headers, and a couple of "Hush-Thrush" mufflers, and an RV cam from Crane, up grade was making ("corrected") 315HP, and similar torque, and in 77 when I did that up grade I had a total investment of $600. Drove the van into the garage on Saturday morning and it was back on the street Late Sunday afternoon.

The fact was that 340 have always been a premium, and the money saved building a 318, or a 360 amounted to as much, or more bang for the buck.

-
Back