Missy Shows You How--DiY Camber Gauge Tool

-
Is that a harbor freight "free" tape measure?

I think instead of measuring the bolts she should measure from the end of the bolt to the surface of the angle iron where the digital gauge will be set on. I know, a very minor detail and probably would work out the same. Well, just the same, thank you very much Missy for the tutorial.

My unit is now complete and tested. The angle iron is a trimmed 17.5" scrap piece a welder/neighbor had on the floor of his shop that I offered to pay for, but he said "take it, it's yours." Painted Rust-Oleum rattle-can bright yellow. The two stainless steel screws/nuts are 2" long and just barely clear the 215/70R-14 tires. They are drilled exactly 15" apart and fit just inside the factory 14" steel rim. For another size/style rim, I can simply drill another hole further apart/closer together.

The alignment tech said my camber measured 0 degrees right and left--I drove 5 miles home from the shop and my gauge measures the same. The right rear tire measured 0 degrees as well but the left rear (driver) tire measured .30 degrees.

Tools:
hack saw
drill & 3/6" drill bit (cutting oil)
couple of combination wrenches

Investment:
angle iron: free after a little brown-nosing
paint: not much
a pair of 3/16" screws/nuts 0.84
Digital Angle Gauge $31.95 (made in communist China)
shipping to Mexico via Amazon $4.28 (arrived in 8 days)
Total: $ 37.07

Now to find/fabricate an easy on-the-road toe-in gauge!

DSC06234.JPG

DSC06233.JPG

Last edited:
you could slot one of the holes and make it adjustable for different size rims and for a tight fit.

-
Back