MLS or FEL PRO gaskets

-

345man2

Reaction score
getting ready to put my small block together and wondering which head gaskets everyone recommends mls of fel pro:D

I'm no expert but, if I was building a forced induction engine or needed a specific gasket thickness or bore size I might consider a MLS gasket.

I personally have never had a problem with any felpro gasket on a normally aspirated engine and they are less expensive than a MLS.

What's your combo? What do you want? Asking this question,without specs,is like setting solid lifter lash,with a warped roof shingle..........

Warmed over performance engine, Fel-Pro should be fine. I run Cometic MLS head gaskets on my turbo (I've had a turbo Caravan, T-bird, and Spirit) and supercharged vehicles, ARP fasteners.

My Buick L67 runs 4-layer MLS gaskets (compression upped .25-.5), ARP head studs. Supercharger is ported, polished, intercoooled, and runs a 3.2" pulley normally- but can easily go lower w/o a problem. With traction control and a LS differential in the transaxle, it still has enough power to bounce off the rev limiter if you just mash the pedal to the floor

416 ported eddies solid roller 10.5 to 1 and a cheater system to if I need it but don't think I will but who knows:blob:

I have heard that around 11:1 is where an MLS gasket is a real good idea.
Artificially enhancing cylinder pressure with spray should be a factor.
I'd say you are pretty close to where it makes sense.

Unless the heads and block were machined for the MLS (Edelbrocks are close but not quite smooth enough ootb) I'd just run the 1008s like Edelbrock recommends.

victor reinz or feld pro beast to see what your builder likes to use unless its you flip a quarter

Unless the heads and block were machined for the MLS (Edelbrocks are close but not quite smooth enough ootb) I'd just run the 1008s like Edelbrock recommends.

Great point.....if you aren't gonna be decking the block and surfacing the heads , the finish is probably not smooth enough for MLS.
Cometics have a spec listed for surface finish , and my understanding is that it is very smooth.

IMO your getting right at the edge of what the Fel-pro can handle if you spray it. If you think you might spray it I'd have things surfaced to MLS spec (I think it's 50RA but not positive, you can verify it with the gasket maker) and go MLS so you know it won't ever be a problem.

-
Back