Mod top/No mod top?

-

1BADGTS

Reaction score
Here is the car as it sits today:

If you were to fully restore it to original, would you put this top on it?

IMG_3203 (Medium).JPG

Can't bring up the mod-top image. There was a Road Runner from Utah at Mopars At The Strip that looked like it had a Mod Top. Talking with the owners found it was a 'wrap' they had made locally. Looked kinda cool. Certainly different.

If you were to fully restore it to original, would you put this top on it?

It wouldn't be a "full restore" if you didn't...
C

When I decoded the fender tag it, here's what it said the options were:
In that case would you put the Mod Top on it or leave the white one on it?

Dart Options r1.jpg

mod-material-dart-200.jpg

WOW 1BADGTS....That's a tough one....:-k

It sure looks great w/ the white top, but seems to be a nicely optioned big block / 4speed. Tough call, but I can't remember the last time I've seen a mod-top in person. It will definately draw attention :shock:

Go For It.......Original & Different 8)

Your Car.....Your Call...albeit a tough one :?: :scratch:

Ya know, I just can't see it, a black car with a black interior, having a red stripe across the back and red lined tires, with a green floral vinyl top. To me it seems to be just butt ugly. I believe the guy who ordered this car back in 69 must have been stoned out of his mind when he ordered it... I mean who would order a car like this without a Sure Grip?

Anyway, it is highly unlikely that I can ever find that top. I saw somewhere that Legendary wouldn't make that top because there was no market for it.

I agree that it would be different, kinda goes back to the stoner theory, if I saw that car at a show, I would just think that somebody messed up due to drugs.

Well now that you mention Butt Ugly......lol

Truly have never seen that top in person....conversation piece for sure..

70's....:@:

Are you building it for you or for some super rich collector that just wants to add it to his collection and never drive it? The car looks great with the white top and anybody would look good driving it. On the other hand,with the mod top,I can only picture some wannabe hippy driving it. Just my humble opinion.

Was the car originally black? If not can you see any of the original color anywhere in the trunk, under the hood, behind door panels etc? With the X9 paint code I wonder if it was a special order? The only pictures of mod-top darts I've seen are with a bright green metallic which looked real nice. Can't imagine that a red stripe would have looked good though.

Please go with the white lol. If when you decide to sell the car its in almost new condition then go for the floral green and be sure to sell it at Mecum

I always thought that mod-tops came with the interior package that included seat inserts too but that could have been for Plymouth only? I`ve read that mod-tops were only grouped with certain body and interior colors but I think that with Chrysler if you wanted something, were willing to pay, and could wait long enough it was yours. Your car looks great like it is and in AZ. the white top is probably the right color to have. If you ever decide to sell the car as original then you might put the original top back on, that is if you can find it.

With a black interior, if the body is cherry I would consider a black vinyl. Triple black works for me when it's clean and straight...
C

Do you have a broadcast sheet too? Might have been a typo on the fender tag considering the rest of the colors and options.

Yup, the broadcast sheet calls out the V1H code. Also, the door jams, and engine compartment, etc all are black. Here are some pics of the engine and interior.

IMG_3149 (Medium).JPG

IMG_3128.JPG

IMG_3207.JPG

Wow! I thought I was the only one to have had an LSD inspired special order Mopar. The combo of your GTS is definatly unique. And I love unique. But I could not do it seeing the simulation picture above! UGH and Ick. I would buy the Top and Stripe.... Keep them in the boxes for the day (if ever) that you sell her. Just my 2 cents worth!

Later,
Bruce B.

PS: My LSD inspired Mopar? 1971 GTX, Red, White Vinyl Top, Black with Orange Inserts Seat Covers, Column Shift, A/C. I know, Not as weird as yours but wierd enough. Note: Since I sold this GTX in 1974 I Have not seen or heard of it again.

I'd put the top on... Mod tops are cool. You could always buy the top, lay it on the car and see what you think. If you you don't like it, put it back in the box until you deside to do a by the numbers resto.
My '68 is red w/ a red strip and maroon interior.... I don't care for red cars ( no offense to anyone that does). My car is going back all stock when I'm done with it though. The factory red w/ red kind of "ghost" stripe will look cool though.

Oh man, I can't believe anyone would order a Dart like that! I wonder if it was a typo on the salesman's order sheet... V1H and V1W look pretty close when scribbled by hand.

Just say no to the ModTop. ;)

not to seal the thread, I was thinking of doing a halo mod top on the Demon, I think it would look sharp with the GY# Citron yellow, can someone photoshop a citron yellow 71 demon with the greenish mod top on it?
By the way, not my car pic, but close to what it'll look like.

b4f0_1.jpg

If that is all correct for the color combo I think it would absolutly be a 1 of 1. I seem to recall that the green floral pattern top was only availiable with the green exterior color. Having a Mod Top without the Mod interior is not to unusual.Again according to the registry there were only 16 GTS built with the Mod Top so I totally think you should install the Mod Top. What about changing the stripe from red to a green to go with the Mod Top matterial? Check out the green body on this Superbee.Also Laysons lists material.

http://www.laysons.com/catalog.cfm?&nGroupID=385&nModelID=33&nModelYear=1969&startrow=51

modtop-bee-opt.jpg

O.K. I found some more interesting stuff here that says that your interior / exterior colors are likely original and quite rare (maybe you should post this in the rarest A-body options post) I still think you should put the Mod Top on & change the stripe to green.Just my opinion though.

DARTS, SUPERBEES and CORONETS (green and gold/blue floral, fender tag = V1H for the vinyl top)
Note: Darts, SuperBees and Coronets had standard color seats without floral inserts.

For 1969 Dart, SuperBee and Coronet owners (Fender tag: V1H), I believe that only repro green/gold material is available (therefore, no NOS). Layson's Restorations claims to sell reproduction Dart/SuperBee/Coronet material, but I've heard from some Mod Top owners that Layson's won't repro the Dart/SuperBee/Coronet material because of low demand. Also, and I'm not positive, but it seems that Darts, SuperBees and Coronets came with the Mod Top only and the mod interior was not available (they had standard color solid seats).

Interesting new information for the 1970 Dart and CHALLENGER models! According to Brian Ridley, Connect & Development Director at Legendary Interiors,
"The 1969 [Dodge] album says nothing about green mod anywhere. The 1970 album at first glance does not mention green mod anywhere also, but after looking real hard I found a clue. Dodge made corrections in the dealer albums by putting a piece of white tape over information that was either incorrect or discontinued. After taking a razor blade to one of these pieces of tape in the 70 Dodge vinyl top section I found the V1H vinyl top code. I have attached the entire 70 Dodge vinyl top page [...] along with a close up on the V1H section that I carefully uncovered."​
1970 Dodge Color and Trim Book:
70%20Dodge%20Vinyl%20Top%20codes-rev1.jpg

(Closeup of the V1H section that was uncovered):

70%20Green%20Mod%20Vinyl%20top%20code-contrast.jpg

Thus, at one point, Ma MoPar was thinking about offering the V1H ModTop on the 1970 Challengers and Darts! Wonder what changed their minds? Could have been Extra Hemi Groovy!

"Paisley" material

A side note on the term "Paisley" as opposed to "Mod" or "Floral"; I consider the flowery vinyl tops of 1969 and 1970 on Plymouths and Dodges as "Mod" and the paisley pattern that came on some 1970 Plymouths and 1971 Imperial LeBarons as "Paisley" and do not intermix the two terms. However, some do mix those terms and it can get confusing when one talks of the wild vinyl tops offered by MoPar!

By the way, Legendary Interiors has (7) (yes, seven) 1971 4 door Chrysler Imperial Lebaron "paisley" or "Brown Mod" tops available. Check them out here (scroll down to the bottom of the page).

Also, Van Dyke Dodge in Detroit offered their own version of the ModTop as evidenced in this article

And, check out these Product Information Bulletins (PIBs) from Hamtramck Historical regarding the ModTops.

-
Back