Modern radio or the original AM radio?

-

Ken71Twister

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm fixing up my 71 Twister that I've had since new. Many many years ago I butchered dash to replace the original AM radio with a AM/FM cassett player. The car is now in the hands of a guy who is taking care of all body rust, etc and will be paining it soon. I've considered asking him to professionally repair my dash so I could re-install the original radio. Just wondering whether the average Mopar owner cares about the original radio look vs installing a modern system. I don't intend for this to be a show car - but I want it to look good for my own enjoyment.

For the record, I've already made a significant compromise on the original look by choosing a non-original exterior color (Redline Pearl coat paint that the 2011 Chargers offers in place of the original Tor Red).

Opinions on the radio?

I would use the stock am if it was my ride. Add an FM converter if you want, or hide a new am/fm under the seat, or even hanging under the dash. At least the dash will look restored to match the rest of the car.

George

about 10 years ago when I was driving my '65, I bought a modern shaft mount radio/cassette and trimmed my radio plate to accept the rectangle face of the new radio, the old chrome knobs fit right on the new radio, looks OK.

for me and my 68 dart GT we stayed with the original radio.(AM roller dials) because you can't beat the original look. I don't drive the car to lessen to the radio I drive the car for the ride.

Thanks for the suggestions and the info on sources to have my old radio upgraded. I'll probably make a retangular piece of sheet metal that accepts my old radio and have my body guy cut the dash and weld that piece into my dash to restore the original look.

I took that old radio out 38 years ago. Why in the heck do I still have it? I must be sick.

When I got my 67 Dart in 08, the previous owner had a “Modern digital” remote control radio hanging from under the ashtray. Its “Modern” early 2000’s blinking to the tunes blue lights looked like out of date crap that hadn’t age well, clashing with the late sixties dash…

I sent the original Am Music Master radio out for reconditioning costing about 100 bucks, and was offered addition of FM, satellite, MP3 whatever for total of 200 maybe 300 bucks. Cheap me, and car’s too loud exhaust, stuck with the 100 dollar job...

For the extra money to convert original to modern guts it is still cheaper than installing a second set hidden somewhere while maintaining original for looks. And, it is a lot easier to reach the center of dash for station change than digging in glove box to access radio, or looking for its remote to operate a unit hidden in the cockpit somewhere while putt-putting down the road.

I had an AM/FM/8-Track in my '74 Duster for a few years :glasses7: Before that, I had an old Alpine AM/FM/Cassette in the car (one that my dad bought in the mid-late 70's. I think he said he paid $600 or so for it when he bought it new)

With a 10 Disc CD Changer under the dash, a few amps, EQ's and 12 Channels :shock: Just enough stereo to drown out the 340 :D

Swapped out the 8-Track for an old Pioneer "Super Tuner" Cassette player so I could hook up my MP3 player. Minimal trimming on the Rallye Cluster ('67 Cuda cluster) to fit the AM/FM/Cassette.

Still have my original AM Radio (along with a bunch of other A-Body, B-Body & E-Body AM and AM/FM radios) in boxes

There is yet another alternative for a rallye dash.
See the link in my sig below

I'm using the original thumbwheel in my Valiant I sent it out and had all updated with modern electronics.

I had an AM/FM/8-Track in my '74 Duster for a few years :glasses7: Before that, I had an old Alpine AM/FM/Cassette in the car (one that my dad bought in the mid-late 70's. I think he said he paid $600 or so for it when he bought it new)

With a 10 Disc CD Changer under the dash, a few amps, EQ's and 12 Channels :shock: Just enough stereo to drown out the 340 :D

Swapped out the 8-Track for an old Pioneer "Super Tuner" Cassette player so I could hook up my MP3 player. Minimal trimming on the Rallye Cluster ('67 Cuda cluster) to fit the AM/FM/Cassette.

Still have my original AM Radio (along with a bunch of other A-Body, B-Body & E-Body AM and AM/FM radios) in boxes
would you have an AM/FM thumbwheel for a 69 dart you would sell? thanks

-
Back