ModMan intake Oil filler / PCV port?

-

Rat Patrol

Reaction score
It would seem the oil filler is integrated into the EFI manifold on the 6.1

The ModMan intake appears to offer no such feature.

Add to this the fact that the factory valve covers have coil packs laying along the length of the covers .......and it seems there's a problem.

Indy gets around it by "upselling" $700 rocker covers you can punch breathers into......

But has anyone got any bright ideas on where to plumb an oil filler pipe and/or a PCV port with the ModMan? :)

(I've seen the thread on the LX intake - but I plan on using the ModMan so hoping someone has already killed this little bird stone dead........:violent1:)

I sort of have, but let me tell you, your arm will be tired by the time you dump 6-7 quarts into the engine, lol. I just screwed a 1/4" NPT pipe into those tiny little ports that are right next to the #1 and #8 cylinder. I put a piece of hose on the top of one and put a PCV valve on top of that that then runs to my air cleaner. On the other I have a little fresh air breather filter that I got when I bought the car to start with. I can try to grab some pictures later to give you a better idea what I mean. The reason I say your arm will be tired is that dumping 6 quarts through a straw doesn't exactly go that fast. It's even worse if you are trying to hold one of the big 5 quart jugs out in front of you over the engine while you try to pour it slowly, lol.

OK - so the intake IS fitted with two ports..but from what you say they are small yes?

I guess removing the rocker cover is an option ........pretty cr@ppy option though......

I have another question - the EFI factory 6.1 doesn't seem to run an oil breather - is this correct?

Pics would be cool too - thanks mate

Caution; Imagination at work...
If there isn't a good place for a larger opening along the top of the rocker covers, couldn't you 45 or 90 degree through the side or end of the cover ?

I think the breather might be integral to the intake in some fashion. There's a lot of stuff going on in the stock intakes when I was looking at the 5.7 car one I sold. I don't know that's there's a fresh air intake for a PCV system in any noticeable location, but that would be a question for a Chrysler engineer, lol.

I tried running my system with no PCV (bad idea) and it blew the oil pan gasket. Ran it with just PCV and no breather and it was really dumping what seemed to be a lot of oil on the air filter. Ran it as just an open breather that wasn't plumbed to the air cleaner and it just made a mess on the intake around it with a bunch of oil. Finally put in a fresh air filter on one port and PCV on the other and the air filter appears to be running cleaner after a few hundred miles, time will tell. It may have had to do with my old cracked oil pan as well.

As for drilling the rocker covers, they're pretty shallow covers (like dang near flat), so it would be a little harder to drill into the side/end. You can just pop a cover off whenever you want the change the oil though. Would be a faster way to pour it in and you wouldn't have to do it all that often. Plus they're O ring gaskets, so they can be reused pretty easy.

Ok - so oil filling can be done by popping a cover.

The question that's bugging me is how does the factory EFI set up manage the crankcase pressures? Is it handled by the EFI intake manifold?

I think it's built into the oil fill port on the intake since it's all one big plastic casting. I assumed there was probably just a channel cast into the plastic that feeds into the plenum or something. Not sure how they might valve it though...

The factory 6.1 manifold has a pcv valve screwed in to the right front of the manifold. It vents in to the intake just behind the throttle body
photo5.jpg

I can try to grab some pictures later to give you a better idea what I mean.

Map63Vette - I'd be very interested in pics of what you did if you can find the time?

I came across this pic in Popular Hotrodding - it seems XV motorsports had access to this type of filler tube - I've got a message posted on Ebay to see if it comes with the intake.

0803phr_08_z+57_hemi_engine_build+.jpg

yes it comes in the xv kit,That is how i fill oil into the motor,But with the new stroker motor and the higher compression i will have i'm going to turn that into a breather port so i will have a breather on both sides of the intake--Steve

Sorry it's so hard to see stuff, the fuel rails really get in the way and my L bracket mounts are a lot bigger than the stud style stuff that Indy does, but here's my setup. Evidently it doesn't work quite as nicely as I had hoped. The breather side is started to get pretty oily again like it used to, even though there's a PCV on the other side. I don't think it's as bad as it used to be at least, but it's still not clean like I'd like it to be. You might be able to make it out, but I have a 1/4" NPT (or whatever size the port is) brass tube I just got from the hardware store threaded in to the port to move the location up away from the fuel rail mounts so I could actually put stuff on it. On the passenger side I just have the little air cleaner, on the drivers side I just got a generic PCV valve and used some hose to connect it all. I think the PCV was from a 50's Caddy or something, I did some looking about what people recommend for a valve on any kind of retrofit engine and someone suggested this one.

To put oil in it I can just pop either the PCV or the breather off and pour it down the little tube. Like I said, it takes a while, but you shouldn't have to do it too often, so it's not terrible. I just got really tired of it because when my oil pan cracked I changed the oil on my car about 3 times in a week or two, so it got pretty old, lol.

Attachments

• IMAG0102.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 528
  • IMAG0103.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 932
  • IMAG0104 (1).jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 888
Thanks mate - that gives me an idea on where the ports are as well.

I noticed a sensor tapped into the rear most passenger side runner - what does that do?

That's my intake/manifold air temp (IAT) for my fuel injection. I'm running a Megasquirt setup and needed to put one in since I don't have one built into the throttle body. I'm using a speed-density tuning setup instead of mass air flow. Alternatively, I think that port might be intended as a vacuum source for stuff like power brakes, but since I have manual brakes I used it for the IAT probe.

You guys ever think about just drilling a hole in your valve cover and installing a push in oil plug cap? It would be a good option.

Posted Map63Vette - 21-6-2012 -
As for drilling the rocker covers, they're pretty shallow covers (like dang near flat), so it would be a little harder to drill into the side/end.

Not that I've got one handy to check - but its likely they'd not be thick enough to accept a tapped thread either.

Anything protruding towards the inside is also likely to foul the rockers.

It might be possible to epoxy a fitting in or use a grommet - but there's an absence of flat surface to use a grommet effectively.

The intakes seem to have enough ports to accomodate a small filler - that would be enough to suit most applications with a new engine.

-
Back