Mopar 340 intake gasket replacement

-
Dulcich was correct about not using silcon on cork gaskets. I don't use the end corks though. Not since probably 1986ish.

There is one exception and that was with W-5 heads. Even with the spacers that come with them, without cork there would be way too much silicon to fill that gap.

Dulcich was correct about not using silcon on cork gaskets. I don't use the end corks though. Not since probably 1986ish.

There is one exception and that was with W-5 heads. Even with the spacers that come with them, without cork there would be way too much silicon to fill that gap.
I had a girlfriend that used too much silicone...

Here's the guys (David Freiburger and Steve Dulcich) from Roadkill garage installing an intake. An if you haven't seen it, they have a whole series on how to build your 1st engine.

Years ago I exchanged a bunch of PM's with Furburger on the HAMB... really a pretty good guy it seems. Dulcich is about as low key as you can find... both guys are MOPAR guys which ain't bad.

Thanks for all the info guys. I have a few more questions. First my heads have the hole for the exhaust cross over but my after market intake does not have a hole for it. So do I have to block it off or is the intake not having the hole enough. Also do the pins on the china rails have to be taken out if your using the corked gasket. The intake is the edelbrock 7576 aluminum.

Take the dowels out. When you tighten the intake down, you could crack the intake (don't ask how I know). Don't worry about the exhaust crossover, although it may cause the intake to discolor in that area. I'm not sure if you can or if it makes a difference, but the gasket sets usually comes with a block off for that area, just not sure if you can use them on an aftermarket intake.

Take the dowels out. When you tighten the intake down, you could crack the intake (don't ask how I know). Don't worry about the exhaust crossover, although it may cause the intake to discolor in that area. I'm not sure if you can or if it makes a difference, but the gasket sets usually comes with a block off for that area, just not sure if you can use them on an aftermarket intake.

I ended up ordering two different gaskets. One with the hole for the cross over and one without. The one without does not have the cut out for the u-shape hole. Which should I use? And what are the four round pieces in the picture with the gasket with the hole?

C5AF5941-D730-4871-B2B5-7730148DDF2E.png

36115C61-FB74-407E-A5C5-DECA40256DD4.png

In the middle? That's just a blind hole. It doesn't do anything or go anywhere.
Yes. I read somewhere that they need to left open because it is a barrier to keep the heat from the cross over from adversely affecting the adjacent x ports. It also says they need to be open for air to circulate. Thoughts?

Yes. I read somewhere that they need to left open because it is a barrier to keep the heat from the cross over from adversely affecting the adjacent x ports. It also says they need to be open for air to circulate. Thoughts?
That is the best explanation I have heard to date. Makes sense.

Ok I think I figured it out. The intake I bought ( edelbrock air ram dual plane) doesn’t have the heat cross over. I should be able to just put the intake on without blocking them off. Does this sound right?

409F3584-59F3-4641-BC55-1E2A72A13740.png

-
Back