Mopar 4.5" Crank

-

440dartsport

Reaction score
Does anybody know who was making the Mopar Performance Billet cranks in the late 90's early 2000's? I just bought a used 540" motor for the top end and when I opened it up I saw all the Mopar rotating assembly. The part number on the crank is P4876011. If anyone has any info on this crank, I would like to hear it.

in my 2001 MP catalog just says 4340 Billet... 4.5 stoke "RB" (balanced)

Maybe someone that has been around MP for while would know. Like at Mancini or Matt at Glendora Dodge MP.

ns1rm21 is Troy Bray from the old Westoaks Mopar Performance. Good chance he would know/remember. PM him.

I was thinking about turning the rod journals down to 2.2" and running the crank but I would like to find out how good of a piece it is before doing so. I guess my question is, will this crank handle 1,000 N/A horsepower? I would think it would being billet but just checking other opinions.

Never used one, but what little I know of them I think it would be ok. I wouldn't go too much further though and I'd have it inspected carefully to make sure cutting it down doesn't hurt it.

I'm sure going down to 2.2" would be fine. I'd have them nitride it again though.

my 540/400 uses a 4.5 crank,but its a ohio crank piece and lighten,even uses stock main caps with no girdle,no problems

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm trying to decide which way to go with this motor so I have a few more questions. At what hp level is it recommended to step up the rotating assembly to better parts such as Callie's, Crower, Oliver etc? And how much power can K1 crank and rods handle in N/A. This will be in an aftermarket block on pump gas.

I've seen billets from Moldex, might want to give them a call. Also seen claims that KBRE(Keith Black) was supplying Mopar billet cranks. Not feeling comfortable about the reliability of that info, but it's possible.

Regardless, I'm not aware that there have been any crap manufacturer billet cranks, so you're probably good w/the Mopar part. Assuming it checks out for straightness, magnaflux and so forth. S/F....Ken M

Addendum: Even with good heads like B1's, a pump gas motor isn't going to exceed the strength of decent parts, assuming you don't try to push the "pump gas" thing too far. Detonation will kill even pro-mod level parts. If you're set on a certain power level, I'd run E85 on the street.

We went with the Mopar Billet crank. My motor builder thinks it's either a Bryant or Kellog crank. We sent it out to get the rod journals turned down to 2.2" and re nitrided. Thanks for the info everyone.

I thought the older MP cranks were Callies. I have a MP 4.15 in a Megablock and remember being told it was a Callies.

-
Back