Mopar 557 cam

-

aaronk785

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with this cam in a 340. Engine is 9.85 to1 comp. ported j heads 2.02 intake valves. eddy street tunnel ram to small avs carbs. Car is 68 dart about 3300 lbs. 3.91 gears and 26 in. tall drag radials. I will order a custom converter once I decide on the cam. Probably ptc. The other cam I was considering is a howards 254 at .050 int. 260 ex. .550 in. .555 ex. on a 108. Howards calls for street strip. 10 to 1 comp and 3500 converter and gears. Is this to much cam. Want a healthy sound but not at the cost of power. Not that concerned about streetability not a lot of freeway driving.

That purple camnisnin and he old speed tips section stating it is good for a 11 second engine when properly equipped. They recommended ported heads. They listed there own head which would be a ported factory head they used to offer.
The Purple cam I think is on a 110 designed to be installed at 108.

The 2 cams, rpm wise should be about the same in there rpm spread, beginning and end.

Ether way, I myself would run a 1.6 rocker.

How well do the heads flow and there percentages between intake and exhaust ports?

That purple camnisnin and he old speed tips section stating it is good for a 11 second engine when properly equipped. They recommended ported heads. They listed there own head which would be a ported factory head they used to offer.
The Purple cam I think is on a 110 designed to be installed at 108.

The 2 cams, rpm wise should be about the same in there rpm spread, beginning and end.

Ether way, I myself would run a 1.6 rocker.

How well do the heads flow and there percentages between intake and exhaust port
This...A similar 340 combination,I watched (11.7 compression,254-26-ish at .050" rollers,WELL PREPPED. Manning Brady heads...ran 11:70's@ 116 with an idiot "for a driver"..I would personally look at something in the 240-245 @ .050 duration range intake..248-252 @ .050 duration on exhaust.. You found the best streetable intake tunnel ram ever,for a drivable small block mopar(my opine,just amazingly ,driveable..) The carbs are nice,expect some minor issues,with the off idle,transision,& power circuits.. Witch is why,I asked for a cam size or two ,down....

Sorry..Getting used fo the new forum format..Apologies...(dammit!...)

Last edited:
Home ported heads. Don't know flow but picked up 3/10s in 1/4 mile over stock heads with 2.02 valves. My guess 240 intake 160-170 ex. Followed head porting from mopar muscle article and figured I was under what they got to be honest. I am by no means a pro head porter so I always figure I am shy of what they get. Mp cam and lifters is about 100.00 cheaper than howards which I will pay if you think its worth it.

Opinions on cams will vary greatly and the exact performance opinion is just as wide. Your statement of lack of low end performance is understood. The cams you listed are a heavy street cam with not to much below there rated rpm range.
Not knowing the cam you have now...
Try a look at this cam instead. It is slightly smaller and will give more torque than the other cam. It has pretty good lift to take advantage of the ported heads.
Voodoo Solid Flat Tappet Cam - Chrysler 273-360 272/280 - Lunati Power

Thanks Rumble that looks like a good street grind. I might just try the cam that's in the car its a hughes 237in 242ex at .050 538 542 lift on a 107 lsa and just add the tunnel ram and 3.91s. Car now has 3.55s and 2400 vert. Has run 12.94 at 106 Will this work ok with the tunnel ram. I just love it when I see and hear a car with nasty cam. Just thought more cam and converter would help the tunnel ram. I would love 12.50s

Opinions on cams will vary greatly and the exact performance opinion is just as wide. Your statement of lack of low end performance is understood. The cams you listed are a heavy street cam with not to much below there rated rpm range.
Not knowing the cam you have now...
Try a look at this cam instead. It is slightly smaller and will give more torque than the other cam. It has pretty good lift to take advantage of the ported heads.
Voodoo Solid Flat Tappet Cam - Chrysler 273-360 272/280 - Lunati Power
Tight lash solid flat tappet,I like.... Maximize what those heads,have to offer...That Eddy Street tunnel,makes gobs of mid range torque..(personally witnessed...) It's a shame ,it was discontinued ...... Should be a nice combination....

I say give it a go. It's not a combo I'd try, not say it won't or can't work. 3.55's isn't a whole lotta gear, your stall seems low for the intake & cam. I hope the tires are not to tall.

Everything will be how well you tune your carbs. And the 12:50 ET is pretty slow for a tunnel ram. But this is about cool looks now ain't it?!?!

LMAO! Yea.... I thought so myself.
Someday, soon I hope, I'll get there myself....

IMG_0091.JPG

Last edited:
This Picture attaching is a pain in the *** sometimes!!!!!

Best Street able small block Mopar tunnel,period..Of course,"Mistress's of Metal 's" work, never hurts...(love the Alien Silver,Rob....)

Phone is slow in responding. Seems to stop loading. So I click again, wait forever, click again, find multiples of the same Picture... delete multiple times only to see it remain.

Grrrrrrrrr

That's 10 more degrees of duration. 2 less degrees or LSA than I run in my 440. In addition it has less gear and the same stall. I think it's a bit much and not the right combo.

I'd be looking at this . Still a hot cam but I think you'll be much happier with the end results, especially in a street car.

Crane 691191

I think I will give it a go with the current cam. But thanks to all who replied. Yes. Its somewhat about looks. I have always wanted a tunnel ram. Not hard to make a street tunnel for 340. I just bought a tr5 for 50.00 and bought a small block chevy top part no.7032 got it from summit for 135.00 less than half the size of the tr5 top. Fit perfectly. I will go with the 3.91s. If not enough ill get the voodoo cam and up the converter to match.

For surely go with the 3.91's and a large cam.

Edit; That Crane listed by Rocco would also don real well.

Last edited:
For surely go with the 3.91's and a large cam.

Edit; That Crane listed by Rocco would also don real well.
I have a 66 dart gt with 360 flat top srp pistons and unported edelbrock heads with mopar 557 cam lash set .26 cold into and ex 1.5 rockers. Only 145 cranking comp. 4.1 gear with 28 tall drag radial.weighs 3360 with me in it. Went 7.22 in eighth and 11.55 in quarter with 1.55 60 ft with 10 inch tight 4K flash.If you put against brakes at line 2200rpm it will push.Carb is 750 dp 70 in front with pa and 75 in back with out.I think cam does better than it should.Love it.32 degree timing.
I know your talking about 340 but figure might help you.
Ps intake mI single plane. Good luck Rick

image.jpeg
340 six pack. J heads as well. 904 tranny with 2.75 first gear. 3500 stall tci. 28" x 9" cheater slick. Only 3.23s with locker in the rear. Rockers 1.6 solid lifter. Fully dressed 67 fb barracuda. Do I like this cam. YES. Do I drive on street. YES. Highway no. 12 flats in quarter. Never dipped 11's. But this car wasn't built for the purpose of dragging. Accept stop light to stop light.

Wow. Two nice running combos. I'm starting to respect that 557 cam. Sound more streetable than one would think. Thanks for the replies.

Lil mope, that's what that cam is supposed to do according to the old "Speed Tips" section from MoPar.
Your doing good.

Last edited:
Lil mope, that's what that came is supposed to do according to the old "Speed Tips" section from MoPar.
Your doing good.[/QUOTE
Thank you. With 27 degrees timing and small hit of spray wife went 10.71 @126 not bad for 40 year old tech cam.

Just hit the reply button and you'll be quoted above like this post.
And yes, the 40 YO grind is old but effective. Not a dang thing wrong with it though I'm sure there will be a long line of talkers.

They are old grinds, no doubt about it. They are not bad grinds. None of them. They will still get the job done.

Not a small block, but I had a .557 in a untouched smog motor 440 back in the day. Fresh 452 heads, Holley SD intake and played with several different carbs. 10" B&M conveter, 3.91 SG with L60 McReary dirt tires. In a STOCK 72 Duster, all steel, orig interior, etc.

Drove it EVERY DAY for 2 years before I sold it. Made over 100 runs, TnT-ing, an occasional bracket race and late night acceleration contest.

Moral of the story? 11.80's (Best of 11.71 @ 116 in mine shaft air) @ 115 ALWAYS through the muffs to the axle. GREAT cam, good power and very streetable.

I ran the next stage up from that 557, the DC .590 in my '71 Cuda street/strip car, it had stock 2.02 heads, stock block with .039 fel-pro's so not far off your CR, a Holley SD intake, 850dp, 1.75" hdrs, TA 4200 verter, 4.30 gears, 10x28's...pulling 6200 trap. I ran this on the street as well once in a while and apart from the highway cruise rpm being deadly it behaved itself really well in traffic etc., you wouldn't really know you had a healthy cam in it, plenty of torque, 2" open spacer made it better....there may be better cams now, but that cam rocked and will today, the car ran 12.3's@108 at 3500lbs+ with me.

My mate ran that .590 in a race 440 dart at 10.1's@131...

Last edited:
I ran that cam in my 340 in my '70 Cuda, had a 850 Holley, 11.3 compression, home ported 2.02 heads, Strip Dominator intake,1 3/4" header, 4.56 gear,28" tire, way too tight convertor, ran bottom 12"s, sounded nasty, had Flowmaster out the back with the Cuda tips.

-
Back