Mopar 590 camshaft

-

Timmy's Toy

Reaction score
I have acquired a Mopar Performance camshaft. .590 lift, 312 duration. This cam has been around for a long time and once was very popular with the Mopar bracket race crowd. Does anyone have any info on this? I've heard that it works really well installed 4 degrees retarded. Anyone tried this or anything like it? It will be going into my race dart at the season break this summer. (I live in Arizona, we break in the middle of summer; too hot!) The engine is going to be freshened and I'm upgrading the cam from a Mopar Performance .557 lift, 296 duration mechanical. Engine has mildly ported W2 heads and an Indy intake. It's a 360. Best so far is 11.08 at 120 mph.

Then, when time and money allows, 1.6 rockers on a fully ported head.

Where's your compression? You need that info first before you just go stabbin the cam in anywhere.

compression is 12.0 to 1. Flat top Diamond pistons with very small chambered W2's (53cc; rare heads). I've got plenty of compression for this cam. I personally would install it 4 degrees advanced as well. I just was wondering if anyone had ever heard or tried the 4 degree retarded.

If your compression is really nailed down at 12:1, I'll be damned if I wouldn't stab it in straight up. JMO.

got one in a 360 with w2 heads ...it is 4 degrees advanced...

Thanks Tony, I wanted to see if anyone was using the cam and the results. Your times in Vegas are fairly close to us in Phoenix (if we had a track). Right now we have to tow to Tucson to race since both Phoenix tracks are now closed. Can you believe it? Anyway Tucson is a couple of .10 slower than Phoenix since it's at 3300'. I'll spec the motor out on rebuild and will give you guys the results. Thanks to all who commented.

Tim

I ran this cam with 11.5 compression 4degrees advanced with 1.6 ratio rockers and 915 ported heads and it ran great.

-
Back