Mopar electronic ignition wiring schematic question

-
^^I doubt you have a 5 pin ECU. You cannot tell by looking. Many especially aftermarket (that is one) ECU have 5 PHYSICAL pins but the 5th is unconnected. Without ohms test to the rest of the pins you cannot tell. But that is a "newer looking aftermarket" and I'd bet it is a 4. Running a 4 pin ballast won't hurt, it simply doesn't use the other section

How to tell for sure? Easy. After you get it all wired up and running. Measure all 4 pins with the engine running. The two which are jumpered together will measure "same as battery" that is whatever the running V is (13.8--14.2) If the other two are both used, they will measure somewhat LESS than that showing that current is dropping voltage through them. If one is unused, it will be same as the supply pins

Well son of a gun. I just learned something else. Lol.

Thank you very much sir.

I guess it's fine to run the four pin ballast.

The two pin would have been cleaner is all.

I suppose I can now run any ECU I find. Lol.

Thank you again for all of your help 67dart273, we couldn't have done this without you and all the other members that took the time to help us.

Now……hopefully it runs and I wired it right. Lol. I'll be pleasantly surprised. Lol

I bought an under hood wiring harness from year one for my 69 that was already wired for electronic ignition and the electronic voltage regulator. That made it very easy. It was only about $115 with a discount.

You are welcome. Another way to check if you are using separate flag terminals on the resistor......is simply disconnect the one leading to the ECU. Obviously if it still runs, it's a 4 pin box

That's another thing we're doing. I went to terminal supply and picked up a crap ton of "packard 56" style connectors and housings.

This ***** gonna look factory when I'm done. Lol.

All four ballast posts

Both field connectors

Correct regulator plug

It's going to look awsome!

I posted this in our restoration thread, but I also wanted to update everyone in this thread who took the time to help us.

Thank you again.

Me and Jason had to work today, so grandpa went it alone.

He refinished the coil bracket and distributor hold down.

Finished wiring the ballast with our packard 56 connectors, mounted the oil pressure switches, coil, bracket, and distributor hold down.

Enjoy. And thank you again for all the help.

Thanks. Eric, Ed, and Jason.

IMG_4830.JPG
IMG_4831.JPG
IMG_4832.JPG
IMG_4833.JPG
IMG_4834.JPG
IMG_4835.JPG

Sure looks nice. I've never been that fussy. I'll be lucky if I get mine together enough to drive before I'm too old or dead. "Reality".

Sure looks nice. I've never been that fussy. I'll be lucky if I get mine together enough to drive before I'm too old or dead. "Reality".

I've always been fussy when it comes to wiring.

If not for looks, but for durability and protection usually.

But I'll openly admit I'm a little OCD and I've passed it on to jason. Lol

Awesome job! Simply beautiful.
Sorry, gotta ask, why did you go with 4 pin ballast?

Thank you for the compliment.

Yes, as 67 dart stated, my box is 5 pin. But it's a newer replacement so internally it's probably a 4 pin.

Baby steps. Lol. We just keep "plugging" away at it. Lol

We also got the under dash auxiliary 10 fuse box, firewall insulation, and drivers side cold air box mounted, but after standing on our heads we didn't feel like taking pictures.

IMG_4843.JPG

-
Back