Mopar Marine Pick

-

RAT ROD AL

MOPAR ARCHAEOLOGIST - one parts hoard at a time!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Last week Theresa and I was on a road trip and I got board sitting , so I got on the local craigslist and found an add for a bunch of Chrysler Marine engines for sale at a reasonable price.

Resized_20220817_145225.jpeg

Resized_20220823_145858.jpeg

6874.jpg

Not sure what I got myself into , but mostly scrap, and some nice pieces for sure. Hopefully I can recoup the cash.
One 318 is total scrap , one other 318 was complete , has the floating wrist pins some decent heads . Would need bored on a rebuild.
Has truck bell housing and flywheel. With hydraulic slave cylinder.
20220914_141740.jpg

and this one for a velvet drive .

This 360 is kind of interesting. 8 qt aluminum oil pan,
20220913_130255.jpg

20220913_141901.jpg

Got some 3671587 heads 340/360
and some nice shape 4343646 318 heads .

20220914_140522.jpg

20220914_140549.jpg

I think I better stick to pickin car parts !

20220914_141651.jpg

Isn't there something about marine engines and rotation???

Do they turn opposite of cars???

Only some. I don't know who or why . But 1 of these has a reverse cam in it, At least that's what the guy told me.

Take note of the orientation of the pistons in the 360, notch facing rearwards. That would be a reverse rotation engine clue. The crank seal surface will have it's directional surface pattern going the opposite way also. Should have an opposite to normal drive direction on the intermediate shaft/ camshaft department.

The 360 is a CCW engine. Note the balancer timing tape and the windage tray slots. The crank looks weird too.

seems like it would be easier to just put a left hand prop on it.

They use CW and CCW engines to counter act the engine torque going on into the water. Similar to a trunk mounted battery on the right side of the trunk.

Legend has it, if you use certain marine crank shafts in a vehicle engine, the knurled rear seal area will "push out oil" as it counter- rotates, opposite the way it did in a boat.
:drama:

Legend has it, if you use certain marine crank shafts in a vehicle engine, the knurled rear seal area will "push out oil" as it counter- rotates, opposite the way it did in a boat.
:drama:
It ain't legend. It's stone cold fact. The hash marks on the seal surface on the marine crankshafts are cut the opposite direction from car stuff, so it will pump oil right past the seal going clockwise.

The 360 is a CCW engine. Note the balancer timing tape and the windage tray slots. The crank looks weird too.
Well crap, I was sold on this stuff when I saw the windage tray. Would it still work in a car engine ?

Quicky comparison on your intermediate shafts will also tell you how many right and left rotation units you have. Here's a 440 reverse rotation (left pic) and a regular 440.
20220915_175124.jpg

Just turn them around, swap the fan & the clutch & you are good to go! Wouldn’t it be nice to have the distributor up front!

Well crap, I was sold on this stuff when I saw the windage tray. Would it still work in a car engine ?
Yes sir. In theory everything will I think except the distributor, crankshaft and camshaft. Pistons and rods can be swapped around, since the rods would likely be resized anyway. If the pistons are good usable, they can clean up, swap around and go. I think everything else is a go. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. None of the stuff is worthless.....it's just different. And that's ONLY IF it's reverse rotation. Some of them may not be.

Yep.
With a Twin engine boat.
1 engine may have rotated opposite the other, to prevent prop walk and keep the vessel.tracking straight.
Depends on which engine you have.

Check also some marine pistons actually protrude out of the hole slightly to give a slight effect of zero deck height. Our engine builder showed me that trick years ago. Had worked well on some 318s we have built over the years

318 marine stuff goes for good money. Did you get any distributors? Cranks can be made to work by polishing the grooves out, and they are usually premium shot peened forgings. The 360 should be a premium casting. The 4 barrel intakes also work well and are sought after. Were they run in salt water?

318 marine stuff goes for good money. Did you get any distributors? Cranks can be made to work by polishing the grooves out, and they are usually premium shot peened forgings. The 360 should be a premium casting. The 4 barrel intakes also work well and are sought after. Were they run in salt water?
Look pretty clean , I would suspect fresh water, All these came from the St Louis area. Unfortunately the 360 block needs at least one cylinder sleeved.

Last edited:
-
Back