Mopar Motor Pop Quiz

-
I don't wanna know. There's no reason to know and I'll tell you something else. There is no solid answer. The same bearing (whichever one you think it is) will not fail every single time oil pressure is lost. So any "one" could theoretically be the "first" since they'll fail when the fail and not before.
thank you for your interest in this thread. You have the most posts besides the OP
:thumbsup:

I consider myself nothing close, but my first reaction was "who gives a chit?"
RRR 4.jpg

Case.jpg

I double-down think it's funny when somebody shows up in a thread to announce they have no interest in it. :D :D That's about like me going into Bath & Body Works on my own free will to tell them "hey, I don't have any interest in any of your product". LOL. Wouldn't their reaction be "why are you here then" ? :D

I double-down think it's funny when somebody shows up in a thread to announce they have no interest in it. :D :D That's about like me going into Bath & Body Works on my own free will to tell them "hey, I don't have any interest in any of your product". LOL. Wouldn't their reaction be "why are you here then" ? :D
My interest is purely in WHY you are interested in something you have zero control over, or think you know the answer to, because you don't. You cannot point to ONE bearing in an engine that will fail every single time oil starvation happens, because it ain't gonna happen the same every time.

1. IF your engine runs out of oil, or the oil pump quits working..... which is the first bearing to be starved of oil ?
  2. If you add oil, which is the last bearing to get oil ?
:thumbsup:

IF your engine runs out of oil, or the oil pump quits working..... which is the first bearing to be starved of oil ?

The rear main...

If you add oil, which is the last bearing to get oil ?

The front cam bearing....

Of the cam bearings, the front cam bearing is going to be the first to fail. It is the farthest away from the oil pump and has the most pressure on it with the cam chain driving it there.

Once the main bearings loose their oil and oil pressure there is nothing left to feed the cam bearings.

20200719_194721.jpg

Last edited:
My question is who is going to donate a motor to purposely grenade by disabling the oil pump and running it until it’s smoked so we can get some scientific data?

I had a cracked cylinder in my 273, got water in the oil and smoked the #3 main so bad it broke the forged crank completely in half. I was going 70 down the highway when this happened.

So my guess is the #3 main.

66654E63-86E4-4562-B980-55F6D7CE4B4E.jpeg

D4D9C075-5003-4CC8-A008-FB937FD6312E.jpeg

22E87C65-34D7-404F-8B4E-D4257C6D7FF8.jpeg

My interest is purely in WHY you are interested in something you have zero control over, or think you know the answer to, because you don't. You cannot point to ONE bearing in an engine that will fail every single time oil starvation happens, because it ain't gonna happen the same every time.
If an engine was to loose oil pressure and a guy shut it off immediately, if he wanted to see if the engine suffered any bearing damage is there a specific bearing that he could check without looking at them all? Lets say a certain rod or main bearing that would be the first to starve, and if that looks good then throw the pan back on, fix the oil pump, slap the pan back on and keep a mov'n ??

Those that are saying "the furthest from the oil pump" .... let me add, this doesn't mean it's the last to get oil. First place the oil goes is to the filter. Then the lifters, and keep following. Then, where does it enter the crank, and follow it through the crank. etc. etc.

yellowrose would have made quick work out of this quiz. IF not him, Rat Bastid would have quickly summed it up !

Those that are saying "the furthest from the oil pump" .... let me add, this doesn't mean it's the last to get oil. First place the oil goes is to the filter. Then the lifters, and keep following. Then, where does it enter the crank, and follow it through the crank. etc. etc.

yellowrose would have made quick work out of this quiz. IF not him, Rat Bastid would have quickly summed it up !
"First place the oil goes is to the filter"

You see!!! That's why I posted (post #9) that the oil filter bearing would fail first!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I tried to find a good diagram of the oiling but no go so far. Still looking.

SBCOilingnew.png

If it wasn't those two before them it would have been mad scientists who would have you gotten into his stack of hot rod magazines or Google and giving you the answer... LOL..

-
Back