Mopar msd?

-

cmac64dart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm kicking the tires so to speak on which ignition set up I'm going to use on my 360 . It has a Mild street cam+ Ld4b manifold and an afb 625 carb. this mopar msd ignition set up looks cool but it might be racing only. Please let me know if I'm being silly or is it worth my investment. I have been going back and forth on to stay mopar or go gm set up which a lot of people seem to like.

s-l1600.jpg

Yes thanks, and I agree but does anyone have any info on this control box?
I used one on a drag car back in the late seventies and it was "state of the art" at that time. Typical MSD type performance and the big advantage was we did away with the "warm up" plugs that all of us ran back then.

Yours has to be 30 years old at the very least and it wasn't meant to be a street piece. I happen to like the MSD ignitions, but I wouldn't waste too much time with it. There might be some guys restoring old race cars that might be interested in it.

Thanks . It isn't mine I just saw this for sale on ebay and was curious about it. I have the mopar ignition stuff available. I just wouldn't mind going with a better option. Thanks for your input.

Just to let you know I'm selling a cd ignition.
[FOR SALE] CD-1 Daytona Sensors Ignition System

Ted

I think that was an msd 7A or 7C....something like that. It was a race only digital box iirc. Fairly pricy back in the day.

Correct that is an old 7a unit. I would not run it on a street car.

It's an analog box.

I get it , not for a street car. Whats the difference in performance gain with a gm conversion vs say a total msd6 set on a mild cam almost stock motor? Is the msd worth the extra coin?

Ive been very pleased with the MSD Streetfire ignition on my 360LA with cam, heads and EFI. This also has an adjustable rev limiter. Will work with mag pickup or points. $162 at Summit.

I get it , not for a street car. Whats the difference in performance gain with a gm conversion vs say a total msd6 set on a mild cam almost stock motor? Is the msd worth the extra coin?

HEI conversion is the best way if money is an issue and even if its not.

HEI conversion is the best way if money is an issue and even if its not.
I have run MSD 6`s on 4 diff. hotrods, all have performed excellently. One was a hemi race car, the others street n strip. I`m running one now on a 505" wedge and very pleased w/ it .

Has anyone had a look inside he streetfire? I looked at that originally but then I saw a thread that the pm took apart and showed the inside of several ignition boxes but not that one. the procomp was pretty weak with one little circuit board and some kind of gew sealent. I know the streetfire has msd on it but is does the quality reflect its lesser price? I would love to see in that one.

I have run MSD 6`s on 4 diff. hotrods, all have performed excellently. One was a hemi race car, the others street n strip. I`m running one now on a 505" wedge and very pleased w/ it .

No argument there.

I run HEI on my classic and MSD my race car. Because I run both I can tell you performance wise there is no difference but a HEI setup lacks the adjustability you get with the MSD.

The other difference is dealing with the box mounting and wiring of the MSD.

Last edited:
-
Back