Mopar Nats in Columbus

-

65Racer

Reaction score
After quite a few years it looks like I will finally be able to go to the nats in columbus. Its a pretty good haul from Texas and was wondering what to expect. Is it as big as they advertise ? Do a lot of vendors show up ? Do they really have a car count around 2000 ? Just attended this year's Mega Action event here at the Texas motorplex. As usual the show car count was very small but lots of racecars. I am not knocking it and am very glad to have something at all here in Chevyland. I would just hate to travel that far and spend that much to be dissapointed. Any info on what to expect would be greatly appreciated.

Attendance was was down last year over other years! Used to be about 8 rows of vendors, last year maybe 4! The swap is still big, and the car count is always up there! The car corral was packed with cars last year, and was busy as heck! The night cruising is still really heavy in Heath, dead on Brice Rd. now!! I think the Reynoldsburg police finally succeeded in chasing everyone away!! I would go, its worth the trip at least once from that far away! Geof

My first time coming up this year as well, I'm also hoping its everything I hear it is. We have a 5000mile round trip to to attend, also hitting Moparfest the following weekend in Ontario. Canada's largest mopar show, never been to it either. Also planning to go cruise Woodward ave in Detroit in between, with the Dreamcruise coming up the next weekend I heard cars start showing up early in the week.
This will probably be a once every 5-10yr thing for us.

Yes, it's worth it. I thought last year looked bigger then it had been in a long time...at least on the east side of the track. The show car field on the west side has been shrinking year after year.

The vender area has been smaller the last few years. BE&A doesn't go to any shows any more. His tent was pretty big.

The night life sucks compared to how it was back in the early 2000's. It will never be that way again. Heath has become the place to go at night but I hear Brice was really good last year on Saturday. I think people might start going back there.

I stayed at the red roof inn on Brice last year. Things really kicked off around 11 in a parking lot down the street. This may sound weird but Brice was more wild. Probably more Burnouts at Heath but Brice felt more like a party on Friday night where I was. I have been to countless car shows of all types. The mopar nationals is by far my favorite. The car count isn't like the Nsra shows but I love the racing and the swap meet. When I move across the country you better believe I will still be catching a plane for the nationals.

Well thanks Doogie, now I feel like I need to go. Never been before!

Hell yeah you should go! I've made the trek to two Spring Flings. Nice swap parts, beautiful cars, nice weather, but....lots more to experience at the Nats.

I've been to almost every Nats since 1983 at Milan. Could've gone to the first in 81 at the Chrysler Proving Grounds in a buddy's 68 Charger but for some reason didn't. Also did not go the 2 years or so they moved it to Indy as a silent protest. National Trail is certainly not the best track in Ohio but at least there is racing on the grounds.

If I only go one day it's Saturday. It's about 2 hours away so that is usually a 6 AM to Midnight day for me. The bad thing is I spend virtually the whole day in the Swap and Car Corral area and typically don't see a whole lot of the racing and show cars. Two years ago I went twice. Took my van Friday to pick up a pair of AMD quarters for the 68. (saved shipping and got show prices) Then took the 68 down Saturday to be with my son and his Dakota R/T/ You need more than one day to go through the swaps, race car pits, show grounds on both sides of the track, etc.

The big name vendors are in the paved areas but the swap meet is off on the grass (or mud) be prepared for hot and humid weather, not dry like you TX guys are used to.

My favorite races are the Nostalgic S/S cars. I try to count them when they are in the staging lanes and typically there are over 40. I'm usually near the starting line standing just to the side under the bridge. Nothing like high compression big blocks and Hemis to shake your bones along with the fiberglass fenders. (except fuel cars)

It's not as awesome as it used to be, maybe the economy, but it's definitely worth seeing at least once.

It's not as big as say 2005, but still a great car show, we've been going since 1984, here's a pix

Attachments

• DSC04788.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 263
  • DSC04789.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC04783.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 251
Welp I'm in. Is there some kind of meetup for FABO guys? Discounted hotel rates for groups or anything like that?

Is there an event Calendar I can look at to plan the trip?

Sounds like a freakin blast! I hope I can get the Cuda driveable before it hits!

couple more to show the scope of things

Attachments

• DSC04775.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 275
  • DSC04782.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC04781.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 274
There has been a fabo area the last couple years at least. Last years location was tits n grits.

and finally

Attachments

• DSC04772.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC04802.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC04807.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 280
There has been a fabo area the last couple years at least. Last years location was tits n grits.

Oh I'm sure my wife will love that...

And I'm hoping to bring my 66 but it won't look anything like those pictures. Some beautiful stuff there.

I have been staying on the west side of Columbus for years. It's only a half hour from the track and is around $50 a night. I don't want to pay the ridiculously inflated rates near the track.

used to be way TOoooo noisy at motels on Brice road. your right, smart thing to do is get motel on west side of town and spend day at track , then hit the brice motels for s--- shooting, or go watch em cruis at where ever its at now. the brice rd cops were lenient till it started getting crowded and someone chiped their tires!!! LOL havn't been since about 2003 or 4. went every year starting bout '88.
all day ride from s w Missouri. hoping st Louis will have mopar thing this year.
indy, don't even get me started......

I'd go to it, always a fun time and there is sometimes FABO parking in the show area. I hope to have my Scamp half way decent looking to bring over. Srixon4406 its the first weekend in Aug if I remember right.

http://www.moparnats.org/

Ive gone for the last 10 years, and yes its a long drive. I am from Little Rock ar. and its a 8 hr. drive. I drove my 66 Dart twice no A/c, 410 gears 4 speed what a blast. The FABO tent and cars was amazing.
The car corral was I though bigger last year.
ITS A GREAT SHOW.

I went two years ago, amazing, bring good walking shoes and some sort of hydration source such as a camelbak. Met some cool people and the racing is bad ***, all mopar, all day, hundreds of cars.

This will be my first time. I'm only going for Friday and Sat. Looking forward to it!!!

I had been a regular race entry participant at the "NATS" up until 2007 - 08.

The "NATS" used to be the best event on the east side of the US. The attendance was good in 2004-05 but has steadily gone down since. It may very well still be a premier event for all I know..........

I'm told vendors are squeezed by the promoter on an annual basis, which has reduced their numbers drastically. The economy has helped too.

Car counts for the drag racing portion have diminished due to the economy and payouts not keeping up with costs to race. And yes, the economy has had a major effect too.

The promoter used to get the MOPAR Pro Teams to attend but that soon went away.

I can't speak for the show car attendance numbers because I have of no interest in that area.

The car coral has always kept pace. Prices get a little stupid though.

The swap meet vendors have dwindled but not to badly. Good parts are plentiful.

I miss this event but don't have the time or a burning desire to attend this year. Maybe next year.

If you've never been to the "MOPAR NATS" I suggest you go. It has it's bright spots.

My $0.02

-
Back