Mopar, non a body question

-

rp23g7

Reaction score
Hey Guys, you may recall i pos.ted about buying a 84 Ram Charger about 6 months ago. I had to replace the heads and just dragged my feet, and finally got it running again.

I have a question about how it starts.

Its not stock, it has a 360 with a Edlebrock Performer, Hooker Headers and a Carter AFB.

I did replace the Cap, Rotor, plugs, wires when i put it togther. It started right up after i had it all together.

But it seems to start only after you release the key after craking it. either hot or cold.

Anyone know why it would do this? I drove it 10 miles or so today, seemed good, no leaks or anything.

Check that you are getting voltage to the ignition during "start"

The ignition switch is actually SEVERAL separate switches all in one "can."

One separate switch is hot ONLY in start, goes from the switch, through the bulkhead connector, to the coil + side of the coil. Mopar shows this as "IGN 2" on some diagrams, and this wire is the "bypass" circuit for the coil resistor during start

The "ignition run" (IGN1) is hot ONLY in "run" but NOT in start, so the bypass circuit must be working to get starting juice.

So hook your meter to the coil + terminal and watch the display while cranking the engine. You should see "same as battery," and in no case less than 10.5 volts

Thanks, do you have a wiring diagram for that truck, and does anyone make new harnesses? Seems like a a A Body or a FMJ car with a V8 Harness would work if the bulkhead connector is the same since the realy and other items are pretty much in the same spot

Same thing happened to me when I first started my 65 Dart after making a custom engine harness. I am not using a ballast and ASSumed the IGN1 wire gets power both in "run" and "crank" positions on the key switch. Not true. I had to jumper the IGN2 terminal to IGN1 to get spark while cranking.

I think an FMJ V-8 is your best choice for wire harness. Your year probably has the "spark control computer" and electronic feedback carburetor, which is all much different than our cars.

I think an FMJ V-8 is your best choice for wire harness. Your year probably has the "spark control computer" and electronic feedback carburetor, which is all much different than our cars.

Its been converted, its got a Carter carb and a edelbrock preformer manifold with headers on it now.

I think I saw some docs on one of the truck forums, but don't remember which one. The one I saw you have to register to get access to the documents

I think I saw some docs on one of the truck forums, but don't remember which one. The one I saw you have to register to get access to the documents

i have been to the truck forum here and RamChargercentral, but cant find any other really good mopar truck forums.

-
Back