Mopar novice seeking help!!

-

Garage Homer

Reaction score
I am buying a roller 1970 340 duster that was a 4 speed.
I am wanting to change it over to a 727, don't ask why, you'll think I am a wussy.
Wondering what cross member I can use for trans, I assume 4 speed C/M will not work.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks ahead of time!!
I am sure I will be back to bug you many more times.

This is a pretty expensive swap, as swaps go. And marrying the engine to the tranny with an appropriate TC is sometimes a bit of a challenge.
FWIW, automatics often like one smaller rear gear ratio; Or should I say, can make do with. They also sometimes like a different cam. And then there is the shifter mounting issue.....and the radiator cooler, and the KD mechanism, Marrying the governor to the rear gear, etc.... But I suppose you've thought about those things.

Sorry, gotta ask.... why?

FWIW, if the case is you don't know how to drive a 4spd, manual trans car, now is a great time to learn! It's all part of the adventure!

An auto trans install would be easier for sure.

If you are just going to a salvage yard to pick up engine/trans, there are a couple of years where a 318/360 out of a Dakota would work well. Simple efi and overdrive transmission. Not sure of the years, maybe some one else can chime in.

I like that idea. IMO, I'd look for a Magnum 5.9 w/trans from a 2wd vehicle. Raid it all, everything! Even the rear if possible. The 8-1/4 will could have 3.55's like mine does. Rear disc brakes are possible as well.

-
Back