mopar performance plug wires

-

pjc360

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting new plug wires, i'm currnetly running stock replacement borg warner select 7mm plug wires and i want to get some 8mm wires. i'm running the 300hp crate 360 magnum engine and the mopar ecu ignition. I Have been looking at the mopar performance plug wires from summit, they are 8mm and 55 buccks.
I dont know anything about the mopar performnce wires, does anyone know how many resistance per foot they have? and how would they stack up against the Taylor Thundervolt 8.2mm plug wires? because i am also looking at them as an option, i have also been looking at the mallory pro sidewinders the yellow wires. I would consider the msd wires but they only have them in red for my small block and i hate red.
Just thought i'd ask how well the mopar wires are because i figured at the very least a few people here are running them. Also though bout the crane cams fire wie but cant find any for my application. So as of now i am pretty much debating between the mopar wires the taylor thundervolts nd the mallory sidewinders. Please let me know how the mopars stack p against the mallorys and the taylors are they better or not as good? I'd really like to know what the resistance per foot is on the mopar wires, they look to be well built, i just dont know the resisitance per foot on them.

IDK about the Ohm's per foot, but the MP wires are made by Taylor. You should not worry about the Ohm's per foot. That issue is a rose pedal on the mountain.

I thought the less ohm's per foot was better? Thought thr less ohms per foot meant the more fire going to thr plugs? Are the mopar performance wires spiro core desighn? i would think so if they are made y taylor. How do you know taylor makes the mp wires?

would going to an 8mm wire or an 8.5mm wire from a 7mm wire even going to be noticeable?I'm running the mopar performance vaccum advance distributer with the 4 pin ecu made by wells and a borg warner select ignition coil.
I know i need to get a better coil and ignition module, i just dont know what to get, i was thinking the mopar chrome ecu and the mopar blaster coil. Or the mopar chrome ecu and a canister coil made by taylor, or a canister coil from mallory or crane cams.
I just dont like these borg warner select plug wires, i dont like anything made by borg warner, i think its garbage. At least there ignition products. I just wanna know if i would even benefit from an 8mm or 8.5mm wire. And i have my spark pluggs gapped at .035 should i re-gap them at .040? what is going to burn the fuel better .035 or .040? Say somone was running lean at an idle, would it help them to re-gap there spark plugs to .040 from .035 or would it just make it even more lean because there was a larger flame coming from the plug?

Your over thinking this in a huge way. The Mp chrome box and coil is all you'll need. Just go from there.

Your over thinking this in a huge way. The Mp chrome box and coil is all you'll need. Just go from there.

wrjjol.jpg

There were millions of Chrysler products ran just fine before 8mm, and larger wires were ever thought up.

I bought a set of the orange Mopar wires for my Duster and they are to short. Im going with Firecore next time. Ive also had good luck with the MSD 8.5s and the accell 8.8s and both come in black. buy the crimp tool and get the universal sets if you cant find the pre made sets..

i was just thinking the mopar performance 8mm wires would be cool because they would match my mopar performance valve covers. I decided on getting a crane cams hi-6 cd ignition so i know what i'm going to run with ignition and the crane box is going to be firing alot more juice thru the plug wires to the plugs so i figured the lowest ohm per foot of resistance i could find in a wire would be the best for the hottest spark possible.
How far will i be able to open up my spark plug gap once i install the crane hi-6 ignition box? i'm running them at .035 gap right now i was thinking i could at least open it up to .045.
As far as wires i'm looking at the mopar performance 8mm wires and the taylor thundervolt 8.2mm wires and the crane cams fire wire wich is an 8.5mm wire. The mopar wires would be the chepiest then the crane wires and then the taylors being the most expensive. I will be running the crane cams hi-6 cd ignition and the crane cams lx91 e style coil.

Sounds like you want to spend a lot of money. For CMB's like me, next time at the junkyard grab the wires off a Magnum V-8 engine (trucks, Grand Cherokee). They are good quality, designed for a more powerful ignition than your chrome box, and each wire is numbered. The distributor side is for a male terminal cap, so you would have to change those for the original cap. For those with many after-market distributors like "ready-to-run" HEI distributor (ebay), the wires should be a direct fit.

no, i dont want to spend alot of money. I just want a good ignition, figued a cd ignition would be the way to go? I havent bought anything yet, i did however wire up the crane cams lx91 coil to my ecu and ditched the canister coil.... The crane coil i mounted on my firewall and now my dual snorkel air cleaner wont fit anymore lol. i was pissed all the drilling to the firewall just to find out if i wanna run the crane coil i gotta lost the dual snorkel air cleaner. I have a round 14 inch edelbrock air cleaner ssembly, if i can find it i will just run it so i can run the crane lx91 coil for awhile and see how i like it.
I'ts otta be a better coil then the stock replacement borg warner select canister coil i was using. And the igntion box i have is a 4 prong box made by Wells. And my ballast resistor is a 1.2ohm made by Wells. I dont know how well the Wells ignition modules are, but i gotta imagine they are just as good as the standard ignition and napa echlin modules wich are decent.

Wow , and to think my car has been running well with the orange box , regular coil and Mopar wires . Buzzes right up to 7,000 rpm without missing a beat .
Marketing , really does work

Magnecore wires...never a problem in 14 years on my modded SC Buick. Or my dad's 310K mile Jeep.

wrjjol.jpg

There were millions of Chrysler products ran just fine before 8mm, and larger wires were ever thought up.
yep.......you are putting way to much thought into this. they are plug wires on a mild car........

-
Back