Mopar Posi rear axle

-
Before the Suregrip, for just a few years Mopar used the Dana Power Lock as a positraction differential. Its manner of operation is different from the Suregrip's. I found an NOS 8-3/4" 3.73 Power Lock just by accident and put it in my Valiant. So since technically Mopar used more than one kind of positraction diff, maybe it is correct to refer to them generally and not just as Suregrip.

He must have found the LSD I lost in high school. LOL
Ired at a compressor package manufacturing company a few years ago. A friend from Cuba came up to me with one of the fire crackers about 3/16" in diameter to ask what it was. I guess Cuba did not allow fire crackers for fear of starting a revolution. Anyway he did not believe me on what it was. I was holding it just on the end and another guy came by with a cigarette. I asked to get a light from it so I could toss it harmlessly off the side. It had been on a shelf behind some other stuff for possibly 3 years. That dry fuse went real quick. I did not have time to turn a bit and toss before it went off. Finger tips a bit tender for a couple of hours. The Cuban's eyes big as saucers for about the same time.
A few years earlier a smartass had brought them in and would toss one in a pipe a welder was welding. As it rolled on a power roller the red hot would get to the firecracker and light it. Going off in a 10" or 12" pipe was light firing a tank gun. Fill the welder's shorts!

Maybe they were thinking about the other LSD. Kim

judging by the mopar adds from the 70s, yep

df191d259ce7d74434ee956e7f7301ad--psychedelic-the-late.jpg

Before the Suregrip, for just a few years Mopar used the Dana Power Lock as a positraction differential. Its manner of operation is different from the Suregrip's. I found an NOS 8-3/4" 3.73 Power Lock just by accident and put it in my Valiant. So since technically Mopar used more than one kind of positraction diff, maybe it is correct to refer to them generally and not just as Suregrip.
OR Suregrip is Suregrip, Power lock is power lock..less confusion that way :)

Think of it like this you walk into the parts house say to the counter guy "I need rebuild clutches for a Posi..."that guy is looking in Chevy parts catalogs...

I once had a 1990 Ranger. I went in said "I need a thermostat for a nineteen ninety ford ranger, the guy gives me parts for a 94 ranger...it pays to be specific..." :) The ranger story is true by the way... i started saying "ninety ranger" after that episode.:)

OR Suregrip is Suregrip, Power lock is power lock..less confusion that way :)

Think of it like this you walk into the parts house say to the counter guy "I need rebuild clutches for a Posi..."that guy is looking in Chevy parts catalogs...

I once had a 1990 Ranger. I went in said "I need a thermostat for a nineteen ninety ford ranger, the guy gives me parts for a 94 ranger...it pays to be specific..." :) The ranger story is true by the way... i started saying "ninety ranger" after that episode.:)
Like saying I have a 1970 340 4speed Duster. Say it fast it sounds like 1973.

Did you ever smoke ear? Its when you take a hit of a joint and pass it on while holding your hit. You say "Ear"instead of here.

Did you ever smoke ear? Its when you take a hit of a joint and pass it on while holding your hit. You say "Ear"instead of here.

not sure what you would call it, but we had this habit we did
one person would take a hit, inhale it and turn to the next person
as the first person exhales, the second person inhaled their exhale

almost like mouth to mouth

i seem to remember we ONLY did it that when there were as many girls, or more, as boys

i seem to remember we ONLY did it that when there were as many girls, or more, as boys
Who would want that? :rolleyes: back in the day it was the shotgun. joint in mouth backwards blow into other persons mouth.:thumbsup:

What was the topic again? oh yeah, Hey man that thing got a Posi?:p

Yeah a variation of the shotgun.

How is that exactly? The Dana Power Lock is simply a clutch type sure grip. The Auburn style was the cone type sure grip. Although they do work differently, each is still a sure grip limited slip differential, so I don't know what you're trying to say. Mopar never used the term "Positraction". That's a GM marketing name, much like Sure Grip is Mopar's. Hep me out here. lol Are you saying the cone type had another name besides "Sure Grip"? I must admit, that seems kinda a vague memory to me.....but I cannot remember what it was. Maybe "No Spin"? I think someone else had the "Anti Spin" name.

How is that exactly? The Dana Power Lock is simply a clutch type sure grip. The Auburn style was the cone type sure grip. Although they do work differently, each is still a sure grip limited slip differential, so I don't know what you're trying to say. Mopar never used the term "Positraction". That's a GM marketing name, much like Sure Grip is Mopar's. Hep me out here. lol Are you saying the cone type had another name besides "Sure Grip"? I must admit, that seems kinda a vague memory to me.....but I cannot remember what it was. Maybe "No Spin"? I think someone else had the "Anti Spin" name.
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/chrysler-8-3-4-inches-rearends

"Vehicles built from 1969-'74 used a spring-loaded cone arrangement called a Borg-Warner Spin-Resistant assembly to provide the locking ability of the differential. Both the Dana Power-Lok and the B-W Spin-Resistant limited-slip units are commonly referred to as Sure-Grip."

My window sicker for my dodge clearly has written on it "Anti-spin differential"

Yeah. I knew there was another name besides Sure Grip. Which differential did that come with? The cone or clutch type? I wonder if "Anti Spin" was the marketing term and "Sure Grip" was more technical. Because the old Chrysler training videos call it "Sire Grip" as well as the FSM.

-
Back