Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looks like some really good prices too!

:burnout:

Attachments

• Ill take the Superbird and GTX_zpsrrnwolmf.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 491
The thing is, that was a lot of money in 1970. Still seems impossible they were that cheap when new and not flying out of there. MT

Typo in the Superbird VIN, the plant code is actually A not E.

Typo in the Superbird VIN, the plant code is actually A not E.

Does the superbird still exist or any of the other cars?

Many superbirds survived. Much higher survival rate than other similar motored Mopars.

Looks like some really good prices too!

:burnout:

Drive by there about once a week. Grew up sorta nearby little less than 2.5 miles away. But too young to remember that place.

Strangely spec'd Road Runner there...4 speed coupe with F70x14 RWL tires and wire wheel covers???...weird...

Another interesting thing is the title of the ad: "Muscle Car Sale". The debate over when that term was commonly used can now be dated to at least 1970. IMO the media and ad people start using a colloquial term years after it's already become mainstream...so I'd say it had been around since at least the early mid sixties.

with the VIN #'s given in the original ad, it would be cool if someone spotted their car in the ad and posted a current pic of it..... or at least a story of their time owning it.

I think even with inflation that superbird is still like twenty grand.

Back then my wage was $1 per hour working 10 hours a day.

well, looks like I paid more for a 40 plus year old car then what it cost new :banghead:

I think even with inflation that superbird is still like twenty grand.

I plugged it into a bunch of inflation calculators and got just under $25K.

Which IMHO is wrong. $25K car today might be comparable to that 70 340 Cuda.

A comparable car to that $4095 superbird would be over $30K. And the list price of that Superbird is $4927 which might be like a $40K car.

Coupe De Ville was around $5900 in 1970. Maybe comparable to a Cadillac ELR today at $55K.

I went to the local library and went through the 1969-72 news papers and took pics of any Mopar ads I found! :D my avatar was one of the ads!

Here's a cool one I found! Mentions the Hemi 'Cuda

View attachment image.jpg

-
Back