Mopar stock steel rims....

-

MAPS

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
As usual I get most of the answers in looking for here.
My question is why are certain dog dish hub cap rims on steel rims have slots (4 or 5 openings around the lip, on the inside) while others are complete steel solid rims ?

The rain I'm asking all these questions is in getting ready to put dog dish rims on my car and want to know as much as I can to make them look original, stock wheels that came with the car on said yr of it's manufacture. My case being '69.
Again I thank all the greats here with their knowledge, wisdom and know how....

Maps

P.S. This is what the car looked like when I got it, (17 in rims) going back to 15 and beautiful.

DBCD2803-D580-4E54-BDEA-833098D92B3F.jpeg

511DA860-FA67-4158-9DF6-FB62CBEEEA34.jpeg

AED52477-CFD6-4380-9B6A-641832DEBCBE.jpeg

The slotted steel wheels are 80's Diplomat police car wheels

Picture 4799.jpg

If you want original looking then no slots and they get painted body color.

The slotted wheels are police wheels. Slots were for brake cooling if I remember correctly. Lots of later diplomats used those wheels even behind their hubcaps.

I have seen Mopar rims with 3 tabs and 4 tabs . I have seen Mopar rims without any tabs (Superbees) . The tabs are there to grab the hub cap . Cop wheels , diplomat rims and Ramcharger/Ram 15" have tabs for dog dishes even though full wheel covers were employed . Putting wheel covers on slotted rims kinda 'defeats t he purpose of the slots . To answer your question : tabs are to grab the hub cap . The number of tabs really doesn't matter . Caution : 14" and 15" dog dishes look similar but are not interchangeable . Hope this helps , Tom

Yes, the rims are called COP wheels, the dog caps that came on those cop wheels have the little holes along the edge. Cop wheels were used on some f bodies know as super coups, etc. Those wheels were actually 15 x 8 not 7 wide.
Correct dog cap for 69 ply has "Plymouth" also the edge. Use what you like, a regular steel wheel will look correct. Like Scampman explains, the steel wheel can vary somewhat as far as the tabs etc, most of us go after the dia. and width wheel we want unless trying for the "show poodle' affect.
The dog dish comes in two sizes, the early and later styles. The center of the wheel determines which cap it will fit. If the center is the same , the later cap will fit both 14 and 15 in wheels. Say a steel wheel made in 69, the 68 up (or was it 67?) cap will fit both the 14 and 15 in wheel. Confused yet!!???? ha

Does your car still have the original small bolt pattern, or has it been changed to the big bolt pattern ? This is going to be important when choosing rims.

steel rims have slots (4 or 5 openings around the lip, on the inside)

Original steel 14" wheels from the era did have 4 slots around the edge, this one is from my 1970 Valiant.

1970 wheel.JPG

while others are complete steel solid rims ?

Rims with solid centers with no gaps on the inner edge are for heavy duty applications, like some station wagons & B & C bodies with the A35 - Trailer towing package. These are all 15" rims & A-bodies were never available from the factory with 15s.

Here is one from my 1970 Fury III with A35;

A35 wheel.JPG

Does your car still have the original small bolt pattern, or has it been changed to the big bolt pattern ? This is going to be important when choosing rims.

I have discs now in the front with drums in the back and I now have 4.6 big bolt pattern.

Original steel 14" wheels from the era did have 4 slots around the edge, this one is from my 1970 Valiant.

View attachment 1715127596

These are the rims I have right now, but 15 inch.
Just looking to get the proper dish for them,
Along with the dog dish rims there a set of Billet street lites will be available, depending where I will be that day/wk end (track) I will play with the rims but mostly during the summer nights the dog dishes will be on the car.

Here’s mine with the cop wheels, but body color for a stock appearance. They are the 15x8 variety with 235/60 fronts and 275/60 rears. They, quite literally, barely fit, especially the rears but they are there. I do need to trim the rears some as they touch under heavy bumps.
D1B960B4-2AB1-4EFC-9143-C41BC4BEB817.jpeg

Niiice..... Awesome look.
What I like also is the hood. (Yes Plymouth,look)
Wicked looking car.

MAPS

Yes, the rims are called COP wheels, the dog caps that came on those cop wheels have the little holes along the edge. Cop wheels were used on some f bodies know as super coups, etc. Those wheels were actually 15 x 8 not 7 wide.
Correct dog cap for 69 ply has "Plymouth" also the edge. Use what you like, a regular steel wheel will look correct. Like Scampman explains, the steel wheel can vary somewhat as far as the tabs etc, most of us go after the dia. and width wheel we want unless trying for the "show poodle' affect.
The dog dish comes in two sizes, the early and later styles. The center of the wheel determines which cap it will fit. If the center is the same , the later cap will fit both 14 and 15 in wheels. Say a steel wheel made in 69, the 68 up (or was it 67?) cap will fit both the 14 and 15 in wheel. Confused yet!!???? ha

Confused ? More like, Dazed and Confused. Fortunately. I'm starting to understand a little better. Eventually I'll be able to confuse others just as good.
Thanks.
MAPS

-
Back