MOPAR things I learned the hard way..

-
LH threaded lug nuts.
You have to use your key to lock your real Mopar.
You can lock your keys in the car when Mopar decided to copy Chevy.
1964 Dodge Polara 500 bucket seats do not have a latch to anchor the back rest under panic stops.
Getting rear brake drums off of keyed axles can be a trial in patience and funding for the swear jar.
Ball and truion drive shaft removal. --
The front vents in my Duster don't really let in "fresh air", they let in "Dusty-leafy-and-god-knows-what-else" air.

Or you buy a used E-body, the car has 3 tires held on with RH studs, and the last one remaining is LH.

Don't take out a 904 and bolt in a 727 without changing the flex plate.

Never assume anything with a Mopar, they liked to switch stuff around mid-year.

Always make sure when going to your local parts store to have already researched the parts you want and give the parts clerk the part numbers you want because the kid ( I am in my fifties so that means anyone under 35 ) will not know what Duster is and if they do they will say "what engine...a 350?"
Someone not knowing what a Duster is these days is understandable. However, the experience I had a few weeks ago at an O'reillys was down right ridiculous!! I walked up to the kid at the counter and said "I need a water pump for an 02 Cummins" so he starts punching in stuff on the computer and asks "is that a 6.0 or a 6.3?" I looked at him strange and said "it's a 5.9" and he looks at the screen and doesn't see a 5.9 listed then he says "a cummins is a Chevy, right?" :wtf: I SHOULD'VE turned around and walked out but I said "no, it's a Dodge" "oh, I always get Dodge and Chevy mixed up. I know Powerstroke is a ford but I forget the others" :BangHead:

oh, I always get Dodge and Chevy mixed up. I know Powerstroke is a ford but I forget the others" :BangHead:

I dont mind that, if the kid is a Ford guy, why would be bother figuring out the rest?

I couldn't tell a Biscayne from a galaxy, and I don't care too, but I can tell a valiant from a dart

I dont mind that, if the kid is a Ford guy, why would be bother figuring out the rest?

I couldn't tell a Biscayne from a galaxy, and I don't care too, but I can tell a valiant from a dart
That's true too but anybody who knows anything about modern pickups should easily know what brand a cummins, powerstroke and duramax belong to.

1 if your not good with electrical systems,..you soon will be! 2 cant just wire choke open on mopar and expect it to still crank like a chevy 3. drive line angles mopar gets theres side to side rest world goes up n down 4. a mopar will live,run with conditions that kill a chevy in 2 blocks 5. gotta know exactly what part you need and difference from every part thats close cause ant a part man alive thats got a clue on mopars,...evidently i got more to learn...

If you are a Mopar guy.... You fall under S.O.B. with everyone else !!!!!!!
The other thing I have learned... Chevy and Ford guy's cant build Mopars.... but... Mopar Guys can Build Chevys and Ford..lol>>>> We got Talent.. :)
Oh... And you ask What is S.O.B. (Super Odd Ball)....
L8ER Y'all... :)

That little round thing that bolts onto the front of the cam is there for a reason. After my first 340 build I couldn't figure out why the fuel pump wasn't working. Who would have guessed that the little round thing was an eccentric that operated the fuel pump. LOL.

Switching from a 904 behind a slant 6 to a 904 behind a small block in a '70 Dart results in shortening the driveshaft.

A 489 third member almost always is a larger 7290 yoke... NEAPCO conversion u joints help.

Mopars tend to have noisier valvetrains than Chevy and Ford. Don't freak out when your Bowtie/Blue Oval friends say your lash is way off... They are just unaware.

LH threaded lug nuts is a huge one.

Quote:
Don't take out a 904 and bolt in a 727 without changing the flex plate.

I thought flex plates were the same?

No the 727 has a larger bolt pattern, at least one person has learned something from this thread.
I already had the trans, headers and starter bolted up when I figured this out.
I was about 19 at the time, lesson learned.

No the 727 has a larger bolt pattern, at least one person has learned something from this thread.
I already had the trans, headers and starter bolted up when I figured this out.
I was about 19 at the time, lesson learned.
That is what this is all about, learning something new! :thumbsup:

I think the flex plate issue depends on the size of the convertor and not whether the tranny is 727 or 904. 1972 factory information:
stall.png

Working up under the dash of a Mopar is like blindly shoving your hands in a box of kitchen knives.

Working up under the dash of a Mopar is like blindly shoving your hands in a box of kitchen knives.
I just redid the whole face of my dash and did some wiring behind it and it wasn't near as bad as I was afraid it'd be. Maybe I was more careful? Or maybe I don't have soft girly hands like "some people"... :poke: :D

833's are heavy, and get heavier when your laying on your back. Brass shift forks don't like to be power shifted too long. Cheapo B body headers will fit in an A body with manual steering and minor massaging. 90 degree oil filter adapters can be a pain sometime. 10 inch AMC front drums will slide right on and give you big bolt pattern. We all learned new cuss words putting our first set of parts store headers on our A-bodies.

Last edited:
If you are decent with cars, but not the amateur "expert" on Mopars with decades of experience, you will do more reading and research than one does on a Masters or Doctorate dissertation. Lol

Last edited:
I just redid the whole face of my dash and did some wiring behind it and it wasn't near as bad as I was afraid it'd be. Maybe I was more careful? Or maybe I don't have soft girly hands like "some people"... :poke: :D

DOH :D
Well, I definitely don't have girly hands but I do have old man hands.
I sure get bruised and bloodier than I used too when I was younger, and most of the time I don't even realize it happened until it's running down my arm.

Did I miss the mention of always ALWAYS carry a spare ballast resistor.
People always mispronounce Dart. It always sounds like they say Nova.

Don't ever buy a parts house reman power steering gear box and expect it to be any less sloppy than the one you are replacing.

Rust comes from within.

Just go ahead and buy the 'Problem Solver' UCA bushings the first time around.

Never trust a bulkhead connector, or an ammeter.

Your eyes can decieve you! 184-365-72...

Last edited:
-
Back