MOPAR things I learned the hard way..

-
why is it that the only "mopar mechanic" you can trust is a guy walking with a cane, in a wheelchair, riding a "rascal" scooter in a grocery store parking lot, or getting his bushy grey hair cut at a barber shop?

Mopars run good when they run, some times they inexplicably shut down, then start after sitting for 10 minutes. You can guess what you did to fix it, but you are never quite sure.

why is it that the only "mopar mechanic" you can trust is a guy walking with a cane, in a wheelchair, riding a "rascal" scooter in a grocery store parking lot, or getting his bushy grey hair cut at a barber shop?
Ya know, if I could get out of this chair, I would beat you with my cane. Dang kids........

you know, sometimes when i have my 68 Barracuda sitting in my driveway, the kids in the neighborhood come over to look at it and i have to yell at them to "get off my grass..."

funny, im the except opposite

i told one of the kids from down the road to let me know when he takes his road exam for his drivers license and ill meet him at the DMV to let him take it in the duster

I just turned 69, and while I'm a HELL of a lot slower than I used to be, that doesn't describe me quite yet!! (except for the bushy gray hair, and at least I still HAVE that!!)

img_0271cs-jpg.jpg

Don't place a torn apart engine in the living room. The wife knows the kids didn't make that mess.

When the wife looks for her box of oven cleaner that she got on sale at sams, remember how dirty that engine was, and walk away......for hours preferably.

Always make sure that when buying new parts for your mopar, the kids aren't with you. They tell on you. And hide the receipts.

Lastly, when a kid in a Honda revs his engine at the stop light, make sure you pretend that your gonna race him. When the light turns green and they tear off like they done something impressive, ease off slowly while the cop two cars back has a conniption fit trying to get the kid in the Honda.

Make sure and put the oil filter back in after changing a clutch on a small block......because you had to take the oil filter off to get to a bell housing bolt.

One time i forgot to put the filter back and .........yea.

Do not buy a Mopar just because it's cheap and available, it will become your most treasured car.

Last edited:
Mopars run good when they run, some times they inexplicably shut down, then start after sitting for 10 minutes. You can guess what you did to fix it, but you are never quite sure.

Mine does this. I can run 10 errands in a day. Car will fire up first time before the key is even turned all the way. High idle on. Choke closed. And it will fire up every other time almost before you hear the starter. But then there is that ONE time. It will not fire for the life of it. No matter how much you pump the pedal. How much you turn the key. How much you dicker with the carb. Just won't. It could sit for 5 minutes. 10 minutes. Half an hour. It's different every time. No rhyme or reason. Just doesn't wanna fire. Then you leave it alone for a few minutes. And it it fires right up, once again before you can even turn the key all the way.

The biggest I learned the hard way is how many and much people are misinformed about our vehicles. I've always been a mopar guy so I'm used to our vehicles. Turns out not so many are. Get used to saying "nope, actually it's" A LOT.

Oh. And expect other car guys to call you "weird" for being sticklers about things like block colour. Engine bay colour. Original equipment. And just about anything else the other guys seem to give us "****" about.

you know, sometimes when i have my 68 Barracuda sitting in my driveway, the kids in the neighborhood come over to look at it and i have to yell at them to "get off my grass..."
Why is your car parked in the grass?

Sorry, that was off topic.
Things I've learned.
Mopars are way more expensive to work on, but worth it.

When i was a teen i Should have called a tow truck when the poly 318 started knocking.

When a squirrel runs out in front of your big block dart with the the dinky drum brakes and bad ball joints, things are going to get scary. Put those big disk brakes on! And fix the suspension!

I should have bought the yellow 340 4spd demon when I was 20. Kick myself for not getting it.

Letting the Ex wifes complaining about my buddy's duster get to me. He was done with it and said he was going to call the junk yard to pick it up. It was in my garage with the title for quite a while. Was set up for a big block, new painless wiring. New quaters on it. Found out later Apparently he left it there for me, but the nagging got the best of me.
She also kept trying to get me to get rid of my 71 road runner. I still have it.

I learned the hard way that the 318 is damn near bullet proof.

When I was 16 years old, I was in the mountains riding around in my 318 Duster. I noticed the temperature gauge start climbing so I headed home. About 15-20 minutes later I pull into my driveway, turn the key off and the thing kept running! So I go in the house and grab my father. He pops the hood and grabs a broom handle to stick in the fan to stop the motor. The thing was HOT!!!

The next morning I go out and fill the radiator with water and it runs out the back the of the head. Freeze plug has rusted through. So I buy one of those rubber expandable plugs, put it in, fill it with water, and it starts right up!!!!!!!! No head warp, nothing!!

I drove that thing for a couple more years!!! Bullet proof!!

Was it "Slick 50?" They used a Mopar smallblock, cut the rad hose and drained the oil, then?? poured dirt in?...................

Here we go..........Pro_Long..............

I just turned 69, and while I'm a HELL of a lot slower than I used to be, that doesn't describe me quite yet!! (except for the bushy gray hair, and at least I still HAVE that!!)

View attachment 1715060120

see... now you've just made my point!! if i were "roaming around" at a "Chrysler" dealership in the service dept. and had a question about my how to set the duel points on the 340 of my 68 Barracuda, i would "run" over to you ... i would NOT go to the "twenty-something" looking at his "laptop" that was "plugged in" to the Hellcat he was working on....

SOooooo, where does the younger crowd get their hair cut?????

i agree E bodies are the most valuable and glamorous but fall short in every other area.

Did I miss the mention of always ALWAYS carry a spare ballast resistor.
People always mispronounce Dart. It always sounds like they say Nova.

a jumper cable will get you home if you have electronic ignition...better replace the ballast resistor with points though.

-
Back