MOPAR things I learned the hard way..

-
a jumper cable will get you home if you have electronic ignition...better replace the ballast resistor with points though.
Jumper will get you home with points, too.
I've just seen too many fail at odd times so I always carry a spare.

Jumper will get you home with points, too.
I've just seen too many fail at odd times so I always carry a spare.

maybe i shouldn't have posted that because i don't know for sure...i did read that you don't need a ballast resistor with electronic ignition but you should keep the applied voltage at 9 volts or so when using original points....i have never tried it and i carry a jumper just in case...and a spare ignition box.

the ballast resistor from the ignition and wipers interchange...when in a pinch

The 62 to 65 727 pushbutton Torqueflite has a rear pump which allows the car to be push started.

Mopar used the same starter for all /6 and V8 engines from the 60's to the 80's

The hardest to reach bolt will also be the longest.

Drum brake adjusters are L and R specific, don't mix them up or they will adjust loose.

Mopar stuck with the stupid ammeter into the 80's

Upper ball joints are threaded into the upper control arm.

When raising the back of a 57 Plymouth really high to change the the rear end always put jackstands under the front first. There's very little room under the car when one of the torsion bars snaps.

Make sure and put the oil filter back in after changing a clutch on a small block......because you had to take the oil filter off to get to a bell housing bolt.

One time i forgot to put the filter back and .........yea.

Do not buy a Mopar just because it's cheap and available, it will become your most treasured car.

And make sure that bell housing bolt is tight, had one back out and rub a hole in an oil filter.

Sorry, I'm gonna hafta disagree here..........I think IHC is "more odd" than Ma ever was, and even they don't top AMC
AMC did some wierd stuff, but hey they are All Most Chrysler.

I think AMC engineers were still still stuck in the 50's using 2 piece axles in the 80's.

-
Back