[SOLD] Mopar w2 heads

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brand new Mopar w2 heads. P4532693 open chamber heads. $1200 plus shipping and PayPal fees.
To me, they look like 48* heads with the pushrod clearance trench on the back side of the intake side of the mating point.

This is what I have found;

For use with 48 Degree lifter blocks. Features flat-machined rocker pads that require the use of T&D race rocker arms and long valves. Heads must be oiled through the tappets and hollow pushrods. Older style rocker stands and rocker systems do not work with these heads. 62cc chamber 2.02" Intake, 1.60" Exhaust 47cc Chamber Tall Stands - Dual pattern exhaust -open chamber Cast # P4532693

I do believe I read a few times these can be used on a 59* block but I do not personally know for a fact if this is true or something that can be done.

It’s still a kick *** head.

Most of the closed-chamber W2s are the 65cc chamber. 55cc-chamber heads also exist; they're hen's teeth. The heads offered in this ad have a 70cc open chamber.

48° or 59° involves the tappet (lifter) angle in the block. 48° are, to my knowledge, R1/R3 only (no production version). The difference in the head is primarily pushrod clearance, which is difficult to pick out simply by eye without one of each style next to one another. 48° heads can be ground to clear the pushrods on a 59° block.

As far as oiling goes, if they oil through the head they'll have the opening circled in red below. That's the oil feed hole. It travels at an angle to the head bolt hole next to it, as does the feed hole in the rocker stand. It can be drilled by a machinist who knows his stuff if it's missing. I've yet to see a head with the indicated hole that wasn't machined at the rocker stand as well, and I've got some truly oddball W2s.

__W2__.jpeg

To me, they look like 48* heads with the pushrod clearance trench on the back side of the intake side of the mating point.
I'm not sure. Mine had the deep grinding like Streetwise's head. Either way, grinding them to clear the pushrods for a 59° block is relatively easy; I did this with a set of 48° heads for my 340.

For use with 48 Degree lifter blocks. Features flat-machined rocker pads that require the use of T&D race rocker arms and long valves. Heads must be oiled through the tappets and hollow pushrods. Older style rocker stands and rocker systems do not work with these heads. 62cc chamber 2.02" Intake, 1.60" Exhaust 47cc Chamber Tall Stands - Dual pattern exhaust -open chamber Cast # P4532693
OK, here's what I believe to be the case on this, having all these caveats on my 15° heads... and yet they're fine on my production 340 block.

They're designed for the 48° block, so right off the bat they won't work with older-style rockers because of the pushrod-hole locations. But, if you grind the pushrod holes for clearance, all's well with good ol' W2 rockers and stands, aluminum or ductile. I did the work on a throwaway 318 block with a .680" solid roller to check, which is way bigger than what's in my engine. When everything cleared with that monster, I was golden. FYI, the grinding required mostly moves away from the intake port, if memory serves. It's been awhile.

They say the heads must be oiled through the tappets/pushrods, but the oil passage is present on my heads, both in the deck and at the stand. Both are open to the head-bolt hole (easily checked with a piece wire). I'm not sure if the R blocks don't have the oil passage to feed that hole or what, but I've got no issue with oil to the stand on either side. The pushrod-oiling thing confuses me, because happens with a solid roller? My block has blocked galleys--no oil available for the pushrods. I would think you'd need spray bars.

When they say "long" valves, I think they mean the later definition of long valves... in the 5.4-5.5" neighborhood (I can't recall at the moment). I think the '70s/'80s "long" valves were about .250" longer than OE 340; these heads need 'em even longer (mine did).

Regardless, with a little thinking beyond the normal and some love from the die grinder, I've little doubt these will work with a production block, the right valves, and standard-pattern W2 rockers of one's choosing.

I’m have NO doubt as in zero issue that they will work with a 59* block. I just have not done it myself.

I’ve heard of it being done.

But since I have not done it….

I can certainly appreciate your stance. I take it myself often.

I have done it. I'm neither a mechanic nor a machinist. I simply had a decent amount of money tied up in a set of heads that I realized weren't as advertised. I decided to mock 'em up and see whether it could be done. Now I've got 48° closed-chamber 15° heads with 65cc chambers and 2.06"/1.65" valves ready to go on a production block... with the shaft oiling and standard W2 rocker gear MP said I couldn't use.

Can I see a picture of the intake side of the heads for sale. Thanks

Last edited:
More than enough tech info on this sale thread. Let's get the heads sold for the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back