MoparChase rear cam shaft seal

-

MoparChase

Reaction score
Hi new to the site bought a 73 340 duster clone in December 1 time out broke down found a camshaft rear seal had taken out my starter came to a grinding stop. Replace starter car starts right up sounds good ran for 10 minutes have not had any visible leaks since this happened could it have been a leftover cam seal fell in my trans housing can’t figure out why it wouldn’t be leaking if it’s missing

At the rear of the block, the cam does not have a seal. There is a metal expansion plug there. Pictures of what you pulled out would be helpful.

Took it to my friends hot rod shop couldn’t restart the engine so had it towed haven’t seen the part he pulled out of there yet. He may have been wrong but did tell me it was a Cam seal or plug and that my car should’ve been leaking oil if it came out but there wasn’t a trace of oil after the car ran for 10 minutes. Had us both scratching our heads because he said the only way to replace it is to pull the trans away to get at it. Can see if I can get a picture of whatever it was he pulled out of there. He’s a pretty honest guy and didn’t want to put all that labor into it if that turns out that wasn’t the problem.

Took it to my friends hot rod shop couldn’t restart the engine so had it towed haven’t seen the part he pulled out of there yet. He may have been wrong but did tell me it was a Cam seal or plug and that my car should’ve been leaking oil if it came out but there wasn’t a trace of oil after the car ran for 10 minutes. Had us both scratching our heads because he said the only way to replace it is to pull the trans away to get at it. Can see if I can get a picture of whatever it was he pulled out of there. He’s a pretty honest guy and didn’t want to put all that labor into it if that turns out that wasn’t the problem.

Is it possible somebody could’ve put a second cap over it thinking it would help hold it in better. Or should I just bite the bullet and make sure there’s one actually in there

9855B9EF-F1C5-467C-8555-08A51BCA1C27.jpeg

Of there was no cam plug, pressurized oil would be spraying out.

Could there have been two?
I suppose it’s possible....... and why one of them fell out.

Try and get you some pics today. Do I dare drive it even though there’s no visible leaks anywhere

Whoever built the engine didn't know how to install and set the rear cam plug. Just sayin'

-
Back