MoparGirl's 73 Dart Sport

-

MoparGirl

Reaction score
In the beginning....

There was a hide and seek paint job. "They" hid the rust/bondo and I'm now seeking it. These are a few pics of the long, continuous process of stripping all the old paint, primer, filler, glazing etc. off the Dart. This is as far as we got this past weekend, which was my "birthday weekend" and therefore I could do whatever I wanted. Well, this was how I chose to spend my weekend. The older gentleman is my neighbor whom I didn't even have to recruit for the fun...he volunteered! What a guy! O:)

The 340 was dropped off at the machine shop last Wednesday for new "stuff" and hopefully by the time they are finished with it, I'll be finished with the body work.

body work.JPG

body work 2.JPG

body work 3.JPG

Looks great, but I'm bias when it comes to orange and black :)

Are you gonna repaint it the same or do a color change?

Old guys love old cars :)

Looking good MoparGirl!
And a late happy birthday to you. :smilebox:
Looks like you have a great neighbor.
Keep us updated on your Dart !
That is a fine looking mopar.Congradulations :thumbup:

I have a real good feeling that thing is going to look awesome when finished!!!
A big thumbs up on the Cooper tires also... I hope you keep them, I build them for a living!!! :salute:

Man you have all the luck!!!! Nice car, cool project going on, and help from a willing volunteer.

Ain't stripping that paint fun?! Make sure you rinse everything REALLY well after your done stripping, don't ask me how I know that. That is going to be a fun car.

Cooool Mopargirl!!Congratulations ,you've got a sweetride and a nice neighbor.
Good luck with your project and Happy Birthday! :thumbup:

The Dart -Nº1,2.jpg

I did'nt mean to cut out the young guys 1966 dart wagon, I actually like it better when a younger guy asks me about my car. I try to sway them from the dark side of imports :)

Great job, please keep the pictures coming. Are you planning on keeping it stock, or are you modifying? What are you planning for the under the hood, us guys are curious about things like that :)....

Nice work :)

Tacfire11 said:
Great job, please keep the pictures coming. Are you planning on keeping it stock, or are you modifying? What are you planning for the under the hood, us guys are curious about things like that :)....

Nice work :)

It will be pretty much stock with only minor modifications. I'm still working out the details of what will be going into the engine. My brother has been providing valuable suggestions periodically and I've been keeping pretty good notes. The majority of stuff he's told me to order comes directly from Mopar Performance. A few items will not be stock, like the pistons. I'm looking at KB pistons and I've also considered Diamond but they are considerably more expensive. The cylinders will be .30 over. The carb I'm looking into is the Holly 750 cfm. I just want to be real sure that every different part is conducive to achieving optimal performance and works together.

Sorry, but I'm not keeping the orange/black combo which goes against my grain because orange is my favorite color. However, I live in the South and what I've run into is Daisy Duke/General Lee comments that just make me insane. Totally different car, but I just don't like being referred to as having a General Lee.

It will be a non-Mopar, non-stock color when it is finished. I have an entire theme for this car that I've dreamed up. It will be basecoated black and then I plan to flake it with Midnight Fire Red micro flakes. The hood may stay black, I haven't decided on that just yet. The interior will be redone with black leather seats and I have drawn a huge pseudo-black widow spider that I want embossed on the seat. The red hourglass that usually is on a black widow will be a red Chrysler Pentastar and in her web all nice and wrapped up will be a Chevy Bowtie.

I'll post more pics as we progress. A tip to all who may be starting the stripping/scraping/sanding process. IF you use Aircraft Stripper (which is excellent stuff and I would have no problem recommending it), please make sure you do not let it touch ANY exposed skin. That crap burns something fierce and I mean it burns RIGHT NOW! Also, it will EAT through the puny latex gloves that you buy either for medical purposes or dishwashing. If any of you have seen The Rock with Nicholas Cage, think of the scene in the chamber with the gas eating their suits. Buy knit gloves that have been dipped in rubber coating. Well worth the extra couple of bucks!

Just wanted to say that I LOVE the idea you have for your custom seats.. any way you could post your drawing so we could see the design? Keep up the good work, and buy your neighbor a nice dinner!!

Here's what an all black one looks like but a couple words of caution, it's an SOB to keep clean and the black will show every sheet metal flaw on the entire car. Other than that go for it.

terry :burnout:

109.JPG

that paint looks great it will look ausome. :thumbup: but if your into orange those bike gas tanks orange would also look great on a car.

when it comes to pearl coats one of the best that i have seen was on an alpine tiger in victoria. it was a white car with blue stripes, and then covered in a blue and purple small fleck clear coat. it had an incredable colouring (coloring for you guys in thr u.s.) in the sun light.

The Dart will be traveling to the sandblaster this Saturday. I've stripped nearly everything off the car with the exception of the wiring harness. The fenders, doors, deck lid, hood, and nose piece are all in my garage and primed; just waiting for the remaining body work. The new 340 is nearly finished and should be ready for pick up sometime in the next week or two.

I can't believe how much time/energy/money it takes to get these cars to just the point I'm at now. I don't think I'm even half way finished. :sad1:

Anyway here are a couple updated pics.

dart front bare.JPG

new seats & guides.jpg

Don't get discouraged, and try not to do everything in a weekend. These cars are a thing of passion and determination. I'm only 25, I've had my Duster since I was 18 and next year I'm finally putting the engine in. I was blessed with a beautiful body though(the car, not so much me).

Wow That sounds great THE BLACK WIDOW.:thumbup:
You sound like an artistic girl and I like your ideas.:headbang:
Cant wait to see it come back from the sand blasters.
Make sure you have the primer sealer ready when you get it back.
Keep up the good work MoparGirl. You sould be very proud.:)

Hi Mopargirl, Your car has come along way so far. Just think it's getting closer and closer every week to being
back out on the roads and you having a grand time, windows downn & hair blowing in the breeze as your
Mopar rumblers down the highway ! Look out little
Chevys and Stangs, run & hide !

Enjoy the journey. :thumbup:

Just got these from the engine shop. Everything is done except the few remaining items needed to start it up like distributor & carb. Since the body's not quite ready yet, they are holding up on priming the engine until I'm ready to drop it in the car.

These really made my otherwise crappy day!

340 fresh.jpg

340 fresh II.jpg

340 fresh IV.jpg

I can't believe how much time/energy/money it takes to get these cars to just the point I'm at now. I don't think I'm even half way finished. :sad1:[/QUOTE said:
Oh believe me ... it will seem to go on forever (but that's what I like about projects like this). Great pics & a belated Happy Birthday to you!

good work so far. you will be happy once you start the clean reassembly. i like when machine shops paint the engine before the freeze plugs. maybe im just strange like that.

-
Back