Mopar's best engines. Your opinion and why.

-
My vote goes to the plain old every day 383. It was the lil brother to alot of high performance motors during its stint as middle child. But with a little work it could be built to blast and was designed to last. Never had one that did not have some git up and go. But I have to admit the new Gen 3 hemi is a WONDERFUL motor. And talk about heads!!!

Got to be the 340. 10.5 to 1 compression ratio my 69 dart had a 340 535 horse 10 second car about right. But if I mess up the 340 I have a 440 big block next to the dart can't complain

When I started at looking for a motor for my car, I was looking at first for a 340 and then I asked a racing mechanic and he told me this: if you race the 340 is better because of it`s high rev capability-it is rare and the price tag is usually high. Then if you look at the 360 it is much cheaper because of the availability, it has more torque than the 340 but does not rev as high. If you do not race, a mild 360 can outperform a 340 on the street. It will set you back in the seat harder than a 340, so now I have a 360.

x2

I hear hat they are finicky as well...

383/343 HP...... w/300-J Cylinder Heads

Won just about every Stock Eliminator Event in upstate New York {NED 1}
from 1965 thru 1971.

urd7.jpg

Love all the different responses. That's a serious slant you have there Bill. (and Tom and Ryan)

Mike, our engine is a bald-faced copy of Tom's and Ryan's engines.... Tom told us what to buy and where... without his advice and expertise, we'd still be in the dark ages!

He and Ryan have actually DONE this... we are just the wannabee's trying to copy his success...

Wish us luck; we are almost ready to do some test and tune runs on the strip with a measley 10 pounds of boost.... that's about 350 horsepower, on this engine.

Talk's cheap.... we'll see! :blob:

Thanks for the kind words...

BTW, I lived in Des Moines from 1964 'til may of 1980.... so, I was the tech guy at Des Moines Dragway 'til it closed in about 1970.... knew a ton of racers... We might know some of the same people. Ever know Charlie Malyuke back then? Here are a couple of pics of his cars. Some taken at Cedar Falls, some at Eddyville, some at Cordova, I think...

Attachments

• image11.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 214
  • image0-2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 223
  • image01.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 222
383/343 HP...... w/300-J Cylinder Heads

Won just about every Stock Eliminator Event in upstate New York {NED 1}
from 1965 thru 1971.

urd7.jpg

Jerry Bennett runs one of those cars currently in D/SA on the East Coast and qualifies well with it... Formidable combination!!!! Always was...

If you're talking durability, /6 hands down. I know in my younger years I did my share of trying to blow em up and never did. I broke everything else in the drivetrain though. :D

I'm with Bad Sport ... they're not powerful or sexy, but the 225 Slant-6 "Leaning Tower of Power" was uber-reliable and dependable. My Dad got hundreds-of-thousands of miles out of them. His Darts, and later Dusters, would literally turn into rusted out "Flintstone-mobiles" around him. When he could no longer fix the body, he would find a new "donor" body for him to transplant his Slant-6 into. That "Leaning Tower of Power" was virtually indestructable!

Funny side note. In '88 or '89 my folks were shopping for a new car and they stopped by the Dodge Dealer as my Mom liked the look of the Dynasty. As they're working on making a deal my Dad tells the salesman that he wants the Dynasty but with the Slant-6 because "it's the best engine ever made." The salesman looks at him and tells him the Slant-6 hasn't been made since '78. Shocked, my Dad tells him "deals off! Lets get out of here and find ourselves a nice used Duster!"

1. Durability: Slant six, and because it is what we have. Something different from a v8.

2. Street: 340, I want a 340 one day, and I love high winding small blocks.

3. Cool Factor (and wicked performance): 426 Hemi.

For 'Street Performance' {Reliability, Durability and Ease of Operation}

1974 and earlier

#1..... 340 4-Barrel
#2..... 440 4-Barrel
#3..... 360 4-Barrel
#4..... 383 4-Barrel
#5..... 273 4-Barrel
#6..... 440 3 x 2 Barrel
#7..... 340 3 x 2 Barrel
#8..... 361 4-Barrel
#9..... 383 2 x 4 Barrel
#10... 426 2 x 4 Barrel 'Max-Wedge'
#11... 413 2 x 4 Barrel 'Super Stock / Ramcharger'
#12... 426 'Street Hemi'........'The biggest pain-in-the-*** to keep tuned.'

Mike, our engine is a bald-faced copy of Tom's and Ryan's engines.... Tom told us what to buy and where... without his advice and expertise, we'd still be in the dark ages!

He and Ryan have actually DONE this... we are just the wannabee's trying to copy his success...

Wish us luck; we are almost ready to do some test and tune runs on the strip with a measley 10 pounds of boost.... that's about 350 horsepower, on this engine.

Talk's cheap.... we'll see! :blob:

Thanks for the kind words...

BTW, I lived in Des Moines from 1964 'til may of 1980.... so, I was the tech guy at Des Moines Dragway 'til it closed in about 1970.... knew a ton of racers... We might know some of the same people. Ever know Charlie Malyuke back then? Here are a couple of pics of his cars. Some taken at Cedar Falls, some at Eddyville, some at Cordova, I think...

Sure nuff! Charlie was always impressive no matter what he drove. He had a 383 Hemi If I remember correctly.

Attachments

• image0-2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 211
  • image0-3.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 217
  • image1-1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 194
from personal experince I like the 360, father has a stock 78 volare that has rolled over 9x on the odometer (in KM's) with little done to the engine just the basic tuneups and oil changes, fuel pumps and water pumps

Idk what you're talkin about RzeroB, if slants are anything they're sexy!!! Now the brute sexiness of a 426 or something but a unique sexiness that no other engine has! :cheers:

I'd say a slant would be one of the best but I wouldn't know as the only 2 mopars I had were both slants.

Idk what you're talkin about RzeroB, if slants are anything they're sexy!!! Now the brute sexiness of a 426 or something but a unique sexiness that no other engine has! :cheers:

I'd say a slant would be one of the best but I wouldn't know as the only 2 mopars I had were both slants.

What do you think of this??? [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QzUfV8iTpQ"]Turbo Slant Six 10.74 @ 127 mph 7-19-10 - YouTube[/ame]

I'm with Bad Sport ... they're not powerful or sexy,

Normally-aspirated, true... but, everything changes when you bolt a hairdryer onto one... lol! Five HUNDRED horsepower is suddenly within reach...

and, that's pretty exciting, I think... :cheers:

Sure nuff! Charlie was always impressive no matter what he drove. He had a 383 Hemi If I remember correctly.

Yes, he built the modified 383/400 block that was in John Hagen's car when he set the NHRA Pro Stock record in about 1981.

Lymphoma got him in about 1996... Too bad!!! He and I were close friends.

The 426 Hemi.

How quickly it was designed and put into production.

The great out of the gate performance winning immediately in NASCAR.

Forcing the other two to come up with complete new engine designs just to keep up.

Then when they pushed, Chrysler came up with the "Doomsday Hemi" which made them rethink all the rules about allowable engine design.

I can't think of another engine design that has had such an impact on the industry.

My vote goes to the yet unmentioned V-10 in the Viper platform. Sixteen years of hard spirited driving and nothing but regular oil changes required. (Well.......new tires too) That's durability.

360 magnum for 1 and viper for 2. I can't believe the viper engine wasn't mentioned sooner?
Mine idles smooth, runs great with AC and fuel injection plus puts 433hp to the ground stock.

thought it was the same one transplanted into the RAM....you are telling me that ma Chrysler developed 2 different V-10s ?

thought it was the same one transplanted into the RAM....you are telling me that ma Chrysler developed 2 different V-10s ?

Yes, there is the truck v10 and then the viper v10. They are completely different engines.

They did use the viper v10 in the ram srt-10 but other these that, all trucks have truck engines.

-
Back