Mopars can bring out the worst in people :)

-
So im 24 and whenever im showing someone my car or telling someone about it they always say "I went to school with someone that had a dart like that, man was it ugly, and it had this nasty green color all over it" I usually say "well thanks, so you think my car is ugly?" that ends the conversation really fast.

when i worked at my last job there was an exxon gas station i'd stop by and get gas and acouple brewskis when i was walking back out to the dart to fill it up acouple good ole boys [ in there teens] were arguing over my car one swore up and down that it was a torino cause it had the scooped hood the other said it was a 66 nova and the idiot owner had a dodge scoop on it they clammed up when i got to my dart and started filling it up and the a-hole that called me an idoit asked me what it was i told him it was 70 swinger340 puzzled by that he said ive never heard of that kind of car , i said yeah most of you geniric motors owners never really get too close to see one up close if you hang on im only putting ten bucks in and when i leave you can look at the rear of my car maybe then it'll dawn on you ,.... i guess they seen it before he rolled back up his window mumbled something and left

my friend Derek has a '74 Duster in B5 blue with inaccurate white racing stripes (trust me, i constantly bust his nuts about it) and my other buddy, Kristoff, has an F6 green '73 Satellite with a white vinyl top and som nice cragars and ive know them both for years so Ive heard some people say some really dumb things to both of them.

In the Duster, Ive heard , "Nice Nova/Mustang" "Wtf is that car?" "Is that a GREMLIN?!" that guy just needed a large heavy object smacked into his head. Then once a very rude hispanic asked my friend "Hey man, where'd u get the rust bucket? is it an import or something. its really ugly. u shulda bought a mustang instead"

Then in Kristoff's Satellite, the only one ive been there for was when we were riding to get some food, so we stop at this lil restaurant in town across from the police station and we go inside and eat and we come back out and there 3 cops standing by my friends car, walking it all around and we were standing there watching them for a solid minute before they notice either one of us and ask whose car it is, we both ask why and the cop nearest to us puts his hands on the hood of the car and leans on it to say, "Well, what kind of car is this? Is it a Mach 1 Mustang? Its the nicest one Ive seen" Kristoff just looked at him and smiled and said thank you as we got in the car to leave.

I went to get gas one day in the Coronet, a old timer came up to me and said "nice Charger" Oh, thanks its a Coronet. "I had a 68 in my youth, i kept it stock for the look" Really, neat

"Sweet hood scoop" Do you have the Ramchager thingy for it" No, to expensive for me.

"Man I remember on my Charger i had the six pack with the hood scoop" Hmmm never saw a charger with a stock hood scoop before.

"When i pulled that lever on the dash going down the freeway, it would push me back in the seat, let me tell you" UH, Huh. Well gotta go

I actually tested the air grabber/ramcharger effect once. A friend had me go to a swap meet and pick up a sixpack underhood set up. I always figured that all that stuff was just for show.

I stuffed a towel in my hood for the drive down the freeway going there. All i noticed was i couldnt hear my carb sucking air as well.

Got there and bought the underhood stuff, had stuff in my trunk, and didnt want it inside, so i put it on my hood.

It was a six pack setup, so it really didnt have a great fit around my aircleaner, but i drove back and noticed nothing at all.

About a week later, i went to get gas again same dude was there, must work there, "Sweet Charger" sigh

A good friend of mine was over my garage the other day and said " This is going to be the nicest ugly car around " So I said, " Ya but at least I will be the only 63 Dart around unlike your car " He is building a glass 37 ford kit car with a chevy motor, which there are at least 5 of them at every show you go too...

Haven't shown my 67 Dart for a few years, but would always get a kid (early 20's)craning their neck to look under the air cleaner and then hear them say,"Oh, it's a 318, thought maybe it was a 340" I just sit back and laugh to myself. Have overheard some comments "it only has one headrest(drivers seat), he must have added that" I just let it go.
Always love the stories how someone had a Dart in the family and the drove it forever and couldn't kill it. I don't know how there are any 340 Darts left around to restore as at every car show I hear at least one story about a friend that had a 340 Dart that got wrapped around a tree/pole.

-
Back