Mopars can bring out the worst in people :)

-
Man you guys sure have alot of nice Novas. One of these days I'll buy me one of those fancy cars.

69BronzeT5, can I take that sweet old dart of yours for a ride? Pretty please?

This one isn't a stupid comment, just stupid parenting. This is about 12 years ago. A 72 Duster drag car that I went to buy; the owner wasn't controlling his kid. I had already paid him for the car and my best friend and I were fixing the brakes so we could just tow it home with a strap. While we are working on it, his kid grabs a small chain saw, makes a vroom noise, smacks the sharktooth grill and cracks it. When I said something, the guy acted like it was no big deal. I got such a smoking deal on the car I let it go, but I was pissed.

I was driving by these kids on the sidewalk in my Duster when I hear one of them say, "Look at that thing!".

I was thinking??? "Thing"???

Last week I was out working on one of the 64 Barracudas and a guy walked up and asked what kind of a car it was. I told him ,"It's a 1964 Barracuda." He says," Oh, I was walking by and saw it and thought it was something cool like a Mustang so I thought I'd come take a look. This is what Plymouth tried to copy the Mustang with isn't it? It's pretty good for it's age though.... kind of ugly though...what engine does it have?" I told him it was a 273. He says, "Well, those sixes always got good gas mileage. I had a friend in school that ordered one of these brand new with a 427 Hemi." I mentioned that it must have been a later year because the big block wasn't even available until 67. He says,"No. It was a 64 Barracuda just like this with the 427 Hemi. It still wasn't as fast as my Mustang though. I had a 289 GT built up with headers and a Holley and a 3/4 cam. It even had a positrac transmission. No one had anything that could run with it. Well, I've gotta get moving. Maybe when you get it all fixed up you can sell it and get a California Special or some cool Mustang or a Camaro. Or stick a V-8 in it and make it a hot rod...."

Sure was sorry to see that rocket scientist walking down the driveway......

I'm glad to see i'm not the only one who gets these awkward situations. Down the street is a Bar/Mexican restaurant that gets frequented by these local lowrider clubs. I live right above the Mexican Border in California and old-school Mexican lowriders are still a common sight. I went down to check them out with my daughter. These things are serious works of art. Unbelievable detail and care goes into them. I was telling my daughter not to touch anything and to be careful. These guy's old school prison tattoos were enough to make me be careful around their rides. While one guy was talking to us about his car, a chick walked by on her cellphone and enormous handbag under her arm. I watched in slow motion as her bag caught on a piece the trim, and without skipping a beat she just yanked it free and continued blabbing on her phone. I thought this guy was going to pop! He just shook his head in disbelief. I guess it's not just Mopars that bring out the worst in people.

Last week I was out working on one of the 64 Barracudas and a guy walked up and asked what kind of a car it was. I told him ,"It's a 1964 Barracuda." He says," Oh, I was walking by and saw it and thought it was something cool like a Mustang so I thought I'd come take a look. This is what Plymouth tried to copy the Mustang with isn't it? It's pretty good for it's age though.... kind of ugly though...what engine does it have?" I told him it was a 273. He says, "Well, those sixes always got good gas mileage. I had a friend in school that ordered one of these brand new with a 427 Hemi." I mentioned that it must have been a later year because the big block wasn't even available until 67. He says,"No. It was a 64 Barracuda just like this with the 427 Hemi. It still wasn't as fast as my Mustang though. I had a 289 GT built up with headers and a Holley and a 3/4 cam. It even had a positrac transmission. No one had anything that could run with it. Well, I've gotta get moving. Maybe when you get it all fixed up you can sell it and get a California Special or some cool Mustang or a Camaro. Or stick a V-8 in it and make it a hot rod...."

Sure was sorry to see that rocket scientist walking down the driveway......

I think I would have had to ask this nice man to leave after a few of those nice comments!!! or I might have gone looking for my 3/4" breaker bar!

I remember I used to get it all the time in my mustang (forgive me guys!)

I was at a self serve car wash and this nuts woman starts talking to me about cars and tells me how her nickname in high school was chrome, cause it wipes clean every time. O_o

I'm going uh huh you wacko in my head when I open the trunk, I had forgotten I left prop guns in my car and panicked slamming the trunk shut. She looked at me and kept talking about since her husband was paralyzed he was useless and no fun and how I should date her daughter cause she would love my car.

I had more trouble with people in a mustang than i did in my barracuda.

In the 70 Dart I get ..

- Nice Chevelle!
- Is it a Hemi car?
- It's rusty (pointing at the quarter sized rust hole in the fender)
- Too bad it's not a Swinger (it's a 2 door Custom..)
- How much do you want for it? I've been looking for a car to cut up and make into a drag car
- Can I trade you my dirt bike for it?

One lady even was convinced that her and her husband had sex in it years back, saying it was the exact same car, even had the surface rust on the quarters. Too bad that surface rust only appeared 3 years ago.

In the 65 Valiant..

- Too bad its not a slant 6. Those were the best engines Chrysler ever made. The 273 was junk.
- A 273? That's a pretty small straight 6 isn't it?
- My brother/cousin/uncle/dog/sister had one of these with a factory 340.

- Nice Volvo

my buddy was at a car show last weekend and in came 73-74 dart sport. he walked up to the guy and started talking to him, and the guy told him it was a 74 dodge demon it says so on the title, although to my knowledge dodge never titled a demon especially not in 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingbutdarts
I think I would have had to ask this nice man to leave after a few of those nice comments!!! or I might have gone looking for my 3/4" breaker bar!

3/4" Breaker Bar?? Guys like that have soft, mushy heads. All you need is a small ball peen hammer.

It bacame pretty obvious that there was nothing inside the soft mushy head that would be affected by application of a breaker bar or ball pein!

Went to a local cruize in this saturday.

Pretty much everyone was walking around except for these two guys who stood next to their four door 70 something Nova with pissed off looks on their faces like they were on a mission guarding the most highly sought after car in the joint.

It was a pretty nice looking car for what it was and I WAS gonna compliment the car until I saw what nut- dweebs these guys were so I kept walking by.
I was tempted to say "Nice mustang" but figured it would have been way too much fun to handle.

people usually suck....

there are so many of us in one area at a time [greater populous-people living longer and more able to reproduce and have more kids than they can afford time to sculpt into 'decent' 'moral' 'honest' 'just' 'compassionate' 'respectful' human beings] everywhere across the world that we get to really experience more of lifes personalities ...and man do they vary.. from sweet to ****.

I was sitting at a stop light in town and a older guy and his wife are in a 1999 buick and he pulls up beside me his wife rolls down the window and he says to me if he had his street rod he would race me. if i had to guess he was probably 65 white hair and his wife is sitting there smiling the whole time. i thought the older generation were suppose to be more responsible. lol. the older cars sure get the attention where ever they go you can bet on it. Bradley

IMG_0284.JPG

Ya gotta watch those old white headed guys......saw one cruising a 33 Plymouth with a blown 440 last summer!! He might have bought the coupe new and upped the power just recently!!

Then there was the guy who I showed under the hood on the 340 and he says "To bad you don't have the rest of the air induction". I guess he never looked under the hood of a 340 Swinger.

I had a guy try and tell me that my air grabber set up was missing too. I tryed to tell him tht a Dart never had that set up but he did not beleve me.

Then there are the people that ask what motor does it have and I tell them a 340 and they say "O you have the small motor."

I was sitting at a stop light in town and a older guy and his wife are in a 1999 buick and he pulls up beside me his wife rolls down the window and he says to me if he had his street rod he would race me. if i had to guess he was probably 65 white hair and his wife is sitting there smiling the whole time. i thought the older generation were suppose to be more responsible. lol. the older cars sure get the attention where ever they go you can bet on it. Bradley

Speaking of responsible people, I had two deputies in a marked patrol car following me for a bit. They pulled up next to me at a stop light. The passenger cop asked me what year mine was and said he has an old Camaro. We were all alone at the light and he joked "Is it fast?' his partner and him laughed but I half took them serious. I laughed and told him he would probably win anyway. I thought how funny it would be to tree these cops and what a cool story it would be to race them. But I decided against it and when the light turned green they rocketed out and in front of me. About 50 yards up ahead a car was making a right onto the street and the cops barely missed the lady who slammed on her brakes half out into the lane. I came up beside them at the next light and they just ignored me like they were embarrassed. It was awkward.

people usually suck....

there are so many of us in one area at a time [greater populous-people living longer and more able to reproduce and have more kids than they can afford time to sculpt into 'decent' 'moral' 'honest' 'just' 'compassionate' 'respectful' human beings] everywhere across the world that we get to really experience more of lifes personalities ...and man do they vary.. from sweet to ****.

I hate going down to the city. Every time I do I think man there are so many people in such a little space soon they will be so packed in they will not be able to move. LOL And there all so pushy and in a hury. I hate the city!

They see my Barracuda and say "What Is that?" Where did you find that?
They see my Comet and say "What Is that" Where did you get it?
Brought my Comet home from storage last weekend. A bright sunny day full of smiles and thumbs up all the way! Went to 5 shows with it last year and never saw another one. Never saw another 67 Notch (or Barracuda of any kind for that matter) either. I guess I like the obscure cars. Our small country area is hardly representative of the cool cars though. If it isn't a mustang or a camero no one wants it.

I was at a show….. Had some guy (late 40s I would guess) strongly point out that my car did not come with a 340……

Because everyone knows………. 1970 was the first year for the 340.

This was one of those guys… It didn't matter what I told him. He was right and I was wrong.

I love those stories, can't wait to see what people say about the son's Duster when it gets rolling next month. As far as appreciating any make and model, my project is a 71 Chevy pickup, the older son's is a 70 Duster that we picked up for 1600 last year, and the younger son's choice will be a 70 Mustang next year it looks like. I just appreciate the time spent working on them, whatever they are. Like I tell friends and family, I love working on cars but I hate fixing cars.

Lol love the stories!!! The guys at school and at the auto parts store love to call my Demon a Dart, just to see the fire in my eyes, but they all get the most dreamy look in their eyes when they hear her run!!!
My ex's daily driver was a beautiful 49 Coronet 4 door, total custom, chopped, channeled, lots of custom touches in primer black. The reaction to his car was always great. Every old guy had a car "just like it" when they were young, of course theirs was faster, prettier and definitely shinier. Our second date, a guy came up to my ex and asked "is this your car?" my ex promptly told him no, its hers, she's just letting me drive it. The guy proceeded to ask me all sorts of questions about the car that I had no idea what the answers were, so I did my best to sound like I knew what I was talking about and just made it up as I went along. By the time the guy left my ex was laughing so hard he couldn't even drive. My absolute favorite times were going to the ice cream shop up the street on a Sunday in the summer. It was an odd little place that had impromptu car shows on the weekends. Pretty much all the locals would show up, park their old Camaros by the road and raise the hoods so everyone could ooh and ahh all the chrome while they ate their ice cream. We'd show up, park in the back, and as we would be walking to the door I would always make sure to ask the guys with the Camaros if they needed jumper cables lol

I was cruising my old car that I had a few years ago(440 Duster with a 150 shot of nitrous) down to Old Town in Kissimme for the weekly cruise in and a cop pulled up beside me at a light in the neighboring town. He glanced over at me and peeled out when the light turned green. I ignored it and kept on. Threre is a 10 mile stretch of high way from Clermont to Kissimme that is open highway and I was cruising on toward Kissimme when this cop came blowing by about 120mph. He made a uturn and came back up behind me and pulled up beside me and revved his engine. At the time I had my 3.91 sure out of the car for overhaul and had a spare 2.76 single side in the rear. I decided to go for it and let him keep up with me till his car peaked at about 125. I punched it down and kicked on the nitrous and of course left his *** in the dust!!

-
Back