Mopars w/Big Daddy Don Garlits

-
There was a guy that had a SubLime70 340 Swinger that took the Best In Class in the 67-72 stock A Body class.

Green paint overspray all over everything.
Crappy paint, etc
Right next to it was a freshly restored 68 or 69 red 340 4 speed and he got nothing.

Problem is the green car was.......

It was 70 nose on a 75 Swinger with 70 rear side light panels welded in.
The guy swore that it was a 70 and I did not know what I was talking and pointed at the VIN plate and data tag....which showed a 70 34 Swinger.

So I ran down the list of discrepancys to him and the judge......

73 and up A/C firewall
75 and up fender braces
75 and up cluster
74 and up 1 piece seat belts
73 and up no vent window doors
73 and up no metal showing on top of doors
Large bolt pattern wheels
73 and up disc brakes

70 VIN tag was pop riveted in.

Judge did not care.

I talked to the lady in charge of the show judging.

She said the judging decision was final.

So I told her that the judge had as much knowledge about A-Bodies as an 8 year old Dale Earnhardt fan and had no business judging.

She got really upset and asked me to leave.

I'll leave my response to her to your imagination.

There was a guy that had a SubLime70 340 Swinger that took the Best In Class in the 67-72 stock A Body class.

Green paint overspray all over everything.
Crappy paint, etc
Right next to it was a freshly restored 68 or 69 red 340 4 speed and he got nothing.

Problem is the green car was.......

It was 70 nose on a 75 Swinger with 70 rear side light panels welded in.
The guy swore that it was a 70 and I did not know what I was talking and pointed at the VIN plate and data tag....which showed a 70 34 Swinger.

So I ran down the list of discrepancys to him and the judge......

73 and up A/C firewall
75 and up fender braces
75 and up cluster
74 and up 1 piece seat belts
73 and up no vent window doors
73 and up no metal showing on top of doors
Large bolt pattern wheels
73 and up disc brakes

70 VIN tag was pop riveted in.

Judge did not care.

I talked to the lady in charge of the show judging.

She said the judging decision was final.

So I told her that the judge had as much knowledge about A-Bodies as an 8 year old Dale Earnhardt fan and had no business judging.

She got really upset and asked me to leave.

I'll leave my response to her to your imagination.

I can understand your anger but don't let it ruin future shows. I'm Looking forward to meeting you at the show, it should be a good time with great friends. MMG

Lesson # 1,if you went there looking for trophies,you went for the WRONG REASON !!! There's too much to enjoy to worry about one persons perception of YOUR car !! Usually I don't even bother putting the To be Judged sticker on for that reason !!

Just got up to Ocala... gonna have dinner w/Roy (SGBARRACUDA) and a few of the Abody members. Great weather sittin @ 70deg right now and alot sun expected for tomorrow.
Gary- sorry I didnt see your post sooner... you could have driven up w/me this afternoon. Only thing is Im heading home early Sun for Cars of Dreams show in Jupiter. Maybe we can roadtrip next yr.
Try to make it up to Jupiter Sun 10am-3pm. Great car show and the museum is sick. Take a look at some of the pics in his website (click on cars).
Link: http://www.carsofdreams.com/events.html

Lesson # 1,if you went there looking for trophies,you went for the WRONG REASON !!! There's too much to enjoy to worry about one persons perception of YOUR car !! Usually I don't even bother putting the To be Judged sticker on for that reason !!

I was showing my car, not looking for trophies.

My ***** was the judge couldn't tell a Chevette from a Corvette, much less the basic model year differences of A Bodys. All he saw was a bunch of sublime paint sprayed everywhere.

And the person in charge could not care less.

We'll be there Saturday my son wants to look for parts for his project charger and wander around lookin.

SAT 2pm in front of museum for team picture

UPDATED LIST:

1. 6pak - Dennis
2. 66dvert - Kurt
3. caw440-Curt
4. DA69RT GT- Doug
5. 68383S- Steve
6. SGBARRACUDA- Roy
7. homecloned- Noel
8. Challengergary- Gary
9. Moparmarkk- Mark
10. Project 65-
11. YY1-
12. d273Dan-
13. MoparMuscleGuy- Christopher
14. f8valiant- Larry
15. YellowDartDave-
16. lou3500-

He's a great guys, dont talk much. Here's a quick picture of him and I at Back to the Brick's Flint Michigan 2011....

Attachments

• big daddy.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 147
Next year i hope i can go there, planing has started it is 3 years sins last time.

-
Back