more 904 trouble

-
True I am kinda new here but im not on as much as would like to be, I apoligize to anyone if I seemed snippy ( I am a very impatiant person ). As for the linkage it was adjusted spot on no problems at all with that. I think I have narrowed it down to pump falure due to the piece of pump gasket I found in the trans pan! The original trans I had in it is now on the bench and guess what I found a broked die cast piece of the trans casing lodge between the clucth drums and the housing and metal in the valve body so ride ( God rest it's soul ) is DOA till I come up with $$$$$ for a nice rebuild.

If you have a set of high pressure gages you can test the pressure ports on the case to see if there's pressure. If there's pressure and no movement, the rear clutch (used in all forward gears) is not working.

I know how to install a coverter! And to say nothing is wrong with 904's ? The lock up version was terrible and so was the late 90's dakota and ram truck tranny's! I would much rather have a 727 I can use but the budget will not hold that right know. I didi take the trans apart that wa in the car originally this one was rebuilt. One day on my way to work and the car sort of jumped out of gear so I put it back into gear and thats when all the trouble started. I just took this trans apart today and I found slag from the casing between the clutch drums and the housing and a bunch of metal inside the valve body so im hoping I can clean this one up get it back together and on the road by the weekend.

Nothing is wrong with the 904 trans. I had mine rebuilt with a nice shift kit installed and it's nice and firm. I think yours is simply broken and needs a professional rebuild.

I used to run a 904 in my Duster and it was a very reliable transmission. I only changed out to the 727 because I felt that the 727 was a more tourque producing unit in getting the power to the rear wheels. Sorry you have had so many issues with your transmission and believe me you are not alone in having issues with these transmissions. A friend of mine had his 904 rebuilt with B&M Shift kit and Low gear kit and Installed it into his Duster and did not have the kickdown adjusted properly and he blew the clutches apart. These are good transmissions and are very reliable in everyday driving conditions. Good Luck in getting yours repaired.

Running a lock-up 904 behind a 400hp 360 with no problems. Will have to agree will most others 904's are great transmissions.

When I took my 904 to a tech for rebuilding, he just about hugged me. There one of the simplest trans to work on. They are also one of the most dependable.

I forgot to add, could be the sealing rings on the stator support too. In any event, from the stuff you found, and the lack of real forward.. I'd say it needs a rebuild.

-
Back