More dumb machine tool questions

-

HankRearden

Reaction score
Im working on setting up a low buck hobby shop. Im interested in what I can use for resurfacing cylinder heads. I think I recall a blanchard grinder was sort fo standard when I was a kid.
I've never used one and don't remember seeing one.
Could a surface grinder do the job? Something like this
Surface grinder

For a hobby shop I would look for a 530 or 570 Van Norman rotary broach. Can do heads or blocks

A surface grinder would work, but that one is too small. Nice price on that one though. Most that size are $1200-1500. Would be a little slow compared to a mill.

Boy. Though you could do it with a surface grinder, there are reason s that it is normally done with a Blanchard type.
Surface finish in micro inches is very important especially on modern, aluminum heads for gasket sealing.

I used a Van Norman 570 for several years. They can do a very nice job as long as they're set up properly. The blades have to be set all to the same height and kept sharp. One of the nicest old school machines I've used was a Lempco 545 Grindmatic. That was a fine old machine. But again, unless it's maintained properly, keeping the rock dressed and rollers greased. That Lempco could grind a mirror finish if that's what you were after.

-
Back