More fuel system questions

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
So putting together the new system to feed the 5.9

I wanted to reuse the edelbrock chrome fuel line and aluminum filter that I already had on the car when it was a 318.

I'll be using a new 3/8" tank pick up, then a filter of some type(haven't purchased that yet), then the carter fuel pump, and 3/8" hard line to the engine bay. I've installed my Holley fuel pressure regulator where I want it. This is a deadhead, no-return style.
The instructions with the regulator show putting a fuel filter before the regulator.

So my question, can I use the edelbrock filter in a vertical position coming into the bottom of the regulator? Or should I just put the filter after the regulator. I have pics attached of the filter in both locations below. I of course would like to figure this out before I cut my hose.

Your thoughts ? Before, after, etc, will that filter work in an upright position?

IMG_20170307_111302236.jpg

IMG_0740.JPG

IMG_0742.JPG

IMG_0744.JPG

Since the regulator can be affected by crud in the fuel it would make sense to filter before it flows through any devices.

There should be one before your fuel pump also, if there isn't yet.
The filter will be fine in the upright position.

Just my opinion.

Biggest caveat I can think of is BE VERY CAREFUL with a pre-pump filter. ANY restriction before a pump has much more problems with pressure drop, vapor lock, etc, than after the pump. Make damn sure the filter is intended for this purpose, and very much oversize.

Biggest caveat I can think of is BE VERY CAREFUL with a pre-pump filter. ANY restriction before a pump has much more problems with pressure drop, vapor lock, etc, than after the pump. Make damn sure the filter is intended for this purpose, and very much oversize.
You can always install a 1/2" inline filter before the pump. It will take a little rigging on the size change, but well worth it. I have two, parallel on mine before the ext. pump w/ fuel inj. U wouldn`t even have to run that little/pretty filter then, which looks too small anyway.

The filter before the pump should be the mesh "sock" on the fuel pick-up inside the tank. That's a fairly coarse filter and is low-restriction and will keep crud out of the pump. Then your fine particle filter should go before the regulator. Vertical or horizontal, it does not matter. Everything else looks/sounds good to me.

The filter before the pump should be the mesh "sock" on the fuel pick-up inside the tank. That's a fairly coarse filter and is low-restriction and will keep crud out of the pump. Then your fine particle filter should go before the regulator. Vertical or horizontal, it does not matter. Everything else looks/sounds good to me.
I don`t run one, my 3/8 intank p/up is a return line. I like to be able to turn the gas off, (valves) and change the filters.

You could drill a small orfice in the dead head regulator, and use the stock line as a return (being at your altitude, that may be bennificial in the summer)
As for mounting the filter horizontally...i wouldn't, for the simple fact of weight and vibration

-
Back