More Help Needed Please!!!!

-

johnmucci

moparmucci
Reaction score
just got this 65 dart gt vert 273(non-hipo) 4 speed...several questions once again to educate me

.1 the transmission has one drain plug on the left side...the passenger side has an upper plug I am presuming that is the "Fill" plug correct?? so what tranny is in it???

2. It has a vibration at 0-30 that shakes the car bad....in any gear...once you get past 30mph it smooths right out...I bought 4 brand new tires, still did it, guy said u joint was bad, replaced that as well, still does it any ideas?

3. Had the frt suspension checked cuz there is a lot of "play in the steering wheel"....guy says the steering shaft is moving in gear box.....whats the cure??? i stop here for now....any help would be great thanks, John

Does it vibrate if you get moving and then put the car in neutral? Does it change with more or less throttle? Is there no vibration at all above 30? Have you gotten it up to 60 or 70?

on the last one ......... The gear box has an ajustment screw on it play with that and see what happens .......btw Dont do this and try it out above 10 mph intell you know if you fixed it or made it undrivble ... and messing with it can junk the gear box if its going bad already. Hope this helps

On the vibration could be bent wheel . Un balenced wheels , wheel barrings , rear end , ummmm ................ could be a brake drum outta wack (dout that tho) ummm.......thats all i got right now with no sleep lmao

did you replace both of the joints on the drive shaft?-- the front ball & trunion joint does go bad.

also try rotating your drive shaft 180 degrees-- meaning rotate the u joints-- see if this changes anything.
Lawrence

Did he replace just the rear U-joint? If that car has the original trans, it has a Ball & Trunion front joint. It could very well be worn out. Try unbolting the driveshaft from the trans, and put two flat washers on each stud on the trans flange. Then reinstall the driveshaft, and drive the car. See if it makes an improvement. By putting the washers on the studs, you now have the B&T internal parts in a different location, and not in a worn spot. This is just a test, do not leave the washers on there. If this makes it better, you will need to rebuild the B&T joint (including the "bell"), or convert to a "normal" front joint.
See this link: http://www.earlycuda.org/tech/ujoint.htm

-
Back