More HP from 5.9 Magnum

-

easyrider

65 droptop
Reaction score
I have a 2000 5.9 EFI engine from a Dodge Dakota RT installed in a 65 Dart. It runs good but I would like some more HP. How can I get more from this engine while running the stock EFI set-up? I don't want a carb., that defeats the reason I installed this engine. any suggestions?

Tom

Tom,
First, ignore that link to complete pos thread. Its from 2008 and who ever wrote it, knows jack.

You can install a set of our stage II valve springs that fit stock heads that allow you to run up to .550" lift cam, .575" on EQ's. I would suggest our stage II cam, its [email protected]", .510" lift with 1.6 rockers and a 114 LSA so its computer friendly. If you want a bit more, we can go up to [email protected], .530" lift with 114 LSA ,if you want to flash the pcm. Its also easy to drop a set of EQ heads on for an easy 40 hp boost over stock when combined with cam. We can get you 400 hp very easily using the factory FI set up, larger injectors, TB, pcm flash, larger cam and good exhaust. Give me a call at the shop or pm me for more details.
We just finished a very stout 5.2 build for a 67 swept side PU in Reno with the same set up, easily 350 hp. Black on black on black....the murder motor as the owner calls it.

No need to be a dick, big dog.

How do you get around the beer barrel intake RPM range? How do you magically make the anemic stock injectors roll more GPH? Throttle body CFM issues? These problems haven't changed since 2008. Maybe they we're made up issues? It would be great to make it all work like you say.

magnummopar, I trust that you know what you are talking about. You pulled me out of a bind when no one else could diagnose the problem. This engine runs good but I would like a little more. I know gears would help but hate to give up the mileage. This is a cruzer and not a race car. I would be happy in the 300-325 HP range. I'm not sure, but I don't think a stock 340 was any more than that.
Tom

No need to be a dick, big dog.

How do you get around the beer barrel intake RPM range? How do you magically make the anemic stock injectors roll more GPH? Throttle body CFM issues? These problems haven't changed since 2008. Maybe they we're made up issues? It would be great to make it all work like you say.

Sorry if that sounded dickish, it wasnt meant to be. The thread is total **** though as most of the info is pure crap. The stock manifold does not stop pulling at 3500, hughes tested it and it made the same or more hp and torque than Edelbrock AG up to 4000 and then does taper off, done at 5000. If the OP wants to run above 4500 for extended periods I would recommend an Edelbrock AG FI or one of the Edelbrock Pro Flow Intakes. The crap about fuel cutting at 5000 is wrong, pcm has rev limiter that retards timing at 6500(some flashes are higher), but no ability to cut fuel and I have revved many to 6000 just fine. That can be raised with flash too.

You can buy a set of 24# injectors cheap but the stock ones(red 5.9 best) will work to 350+, well above OP's target HP.

Stock TB flows 700+ cfm at 25"H20 and a modified one flows 800+ or the Hughes big Gulp flows 1000+ cfm.

You can get easy 450 HP daily street driver and over 500 HP for strip use. It will require some additional pcm help but there are plenty of dyno runs documenting this.

There are a lot of kids in their moms basement that try and pass for engine builders or race guys, just remember, its the internet. I would not have been in business for 20 + years if I couldnt get more than 300 HP out of a magnum with factory injection. We are building a 5.2 for a customer right now that is running stock 5.9 injectors and keg manifold that will easily make 350 if not closer to 375. Good heads and a very aggressive roller cam with Multi Port and pcm flash would surprise you.

magnummopar, I trust that you know what you are talking about. You pulled me out of a bind when no one else could diagnose the problem. This engine runs good but I would like a little more. I know gears would help but hate to give up the mileage. This is a cruzer and not a race car. I would be happy in the 300-325 HP range. I'm not sure, but I don't think a stock 340 was any more than that.
Tom

Thanks Tom, I would swap the cam, 800 cfm TB, our ignition upgrade and valve springs and see what you think of that. In a 5.9 that should net you 350HP and probably improve MPG as well. Your stock 5.9 cam is a whopping .410" lift and maybe 190 duration so the 212 and .510" would be a big improvement. The 5.2 PCM should work fairly well with that cam as is but would see good gains with a flash. You could trim the intake runners on your kegger to move the curve up 500 RPM. If you want a but more fun, get the 215 .530" cam which will need a flash but will put a grin on your face. Spring kit is $195, billet cam is $379, regrind is $179 and TB is about $275 depending on which one you get. You can upgrade the rockers with one of our rocker packages, which will add HP gains due to stamped being inconsistent in ratio. 1.4-1.65 is typical ratio for factory stamped where roller tip or full roller remain true. Nothing you are talking about is expensive, and can all be retained if you ever decide to go bigger. Evan

Thanks Evan, That sounds like a good plan. I'm going to save some $ and work toward that. I'm sure I'll be calling you soon.
Tom

Wow, 550 lift with stock heads. 575 with EQ'S
I didn't know stock magnum heads had that lift. Will piston to valve clearance be ok?
Out of interest if he kept heads stock but changed out intake to an edelbrock and carby with one of your cam and spring packages what hp could he expect?

Assuming you have the correct installed height/spring choice and cut down the top of guides, the stock heads will make .550". The EQ heads will do .575" OOTB assuming you have the correct spring set. Our stage II spring, lock and retainer kit does not require machine work on either Mag or EQ heads and will work to .575". Our cams have a unique grind in that we dont typically do split lift/duration cams due to Mopars having such good exhaust flow. We have worked with Racer Brown for the last year getting the numbers right on the cams we wanted to offer. Our lift is typically taller compared to duration than most cams. We also use an "agressive lobe curve". Our theory and Racer Browns is to get the valve to max lift as quickly as possible then closed as quick as possible. Our stage II is [email protected], .525" lift 114 LSA for FI or 110 for carb. Our stage III is [email protected] and .535" lift.

Stock heads, stage II cam, AG intake and carb should net 325hp, possibly 350. With EQ heads I would be surprised if it didnt make 375-400. There is an article in CC mag coming out soon that Brian at IMM? did with similar set up. I dont know what cam #'s were but it made 450/450.

The same should remain true for FI if you bump up TB to 800cfm and reflash pcm.

I am anxiously awaiting my new Magnum Mooar cam, hopefully tomorrow. I can't say enough good about hear guys. Jay has been my contact guy, but I have spoken with Evan as well. They have taken real good care of me so far. Just got my EQ heads yesterday. My engine is bone stock 5.9, using the factory efi, tri-y headers, and the stage 2 cam. Once it is running I will upgrade the intake, brittle body and injectors. This is going to be one fun Duster. Thanks Jay and Evan

Assuming you have the correct installed height/spring choice and cut down the top of guides, the stock heads will make .550". The EQ heads will do .575" OOTB assuming you have the correct spring set. Our stage II spring, lock and retainer kit does not require machine work on either Mag or EQ heads and will work to .575". Our cams have a unique grind in that we dont typically do split lift/duration cams due to Mopars having such good exhaust flow. We have worked with Racer Brown for the last year getting the numbers right on the cams we wanted to offer. Our lift is typically taller compared to duration than most cams. We also use an "agressive lobe curve". Our theory and Racer Browns is to get the valve to max lift as quickly as possible then closed as quick as possible. Our stage II is [email protected], .525" lift 114 LSA for FI or 110 for carb. Our stage III is [email protected] and .535" lift.

Stock heads, stage II cam, AG intake and carb should net 325hp, possibly 350. With EQ heads I would be surprised if it didnt make 375-400. There is an article in CC mag coming out soon that Brian at IMM? did with similar set up. I dont know what cam #'s were but it made 450/450.

I will look out for that article. That's fwhp hey?
What does CC magazine stand for as I am not familiar with it.
Thanks

I made 354 whp with a stock bottom end 360/stock 46RE other than a converter. Ported 2.02 RT MP heads, ported M1 2bbl, 52mm TB, midlength headers. PCM was tuned by me. We are going back to the dyno next month with a 1350 CFM TB and a ported M1 4bbl......we are shooting for 380 whp. Just my .02

230/236@ .050,.550-.560" lift,108-110 lobe center Comp grind,IIRC...(IMM/CC article)

230/236@ .050,.550-.560" lift,108-110 lobe center Comp grind,IIRC...(IMM/CC article)

Thats a nice cam, was thinking about something similar in lift with a bit less duration, for a 5.9 I am putting together for a "quickie" no trans swap into my 67 vert. Its getting a new top and I refuse to trailer it to the upholstery shop:D A rod knock on fresh rebuild from previous owner is all thats stopping me. Well that and a pump n tank fuel system.

Did that issue of CC hit the store yet? I would be interested to see what rockers they ran.

Thats a nice cam, was thinking about something similar in lift with a bit less duration, for a 5.9 I am putting together for a "quickie" no trans swap into my 67 vert. Its getting a new top and I refuse to trailer it to the upholstery shop:D A rod knock on fresh rebuild from previous owner is all thats stopping me. Well that and a pump n tank fuel system.

Did that issue of CC hit the store yet? I would be interested to see what rockers they ran.

Negative,of this week. Usually a three month wait,we are on two. Minimal on upholstery myself(glass race buckets,cheapo carpet,and a basic stereo..The rockers ,will be interesting.I went with a Howard's retro la grind,was too close to coil bind with Hughes 1110 setup ,& 1.6 stock stuff. Went Crane conversion kit,& 1.5 Chev Comp rockers.
My Maggie was free: guy wanted a Cummins in his truck,the 5.9 had three flat cam lobes,& the warranty replacement heads were cracked. The E.Q.'S are so much better port wise,I still shake my head...

Negative,of this week. Usually a three month wait,we are on two. Minimal on upholstery myself(glass race buckets,cheapo carpet,and a basic stereo..The rockers ,will be interesting.I went with a Howard's retro la grind,was too close to coil bind with Hughes 1110 setup ,& 1.6 stock stuff. Went Crane conversion kit,& 1.5 Chev Comp rockers.
My Maggie was free: guy wanted a Cummins in his truck,the 5.9 had three flat cam lobes,& the warranty replacement heads were cracked. The E.Q.'S are so much better port wise,I still shake my head...

I talked to my buddy at EQ and he said next month issue cover.

I have 3 crushed disks and a broken t-6 vertebrae so no race buckets for me, more of a heated leather seat guy now that I am over 50. I got the vert with ompletely restored top bows, new motors and rams etc but no top cover. It rains without warning in Oregon so need top before it sees much road. It might get high back buckets with shoulder belts but undecided. 6 year old Daughter loves daddys old mopars so I need shoulder belts in all seats.
Here is a little 5.2 sleeper we put together, black on black, got nicknamed the murder motor. My 5.9 is next !:burnout:

Attachments

• murdermotor.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 516
I talked to my buddy at EQ and he said next month issue cover.

I have 3 crushed disks and a broken t-6 vertebrae so no race buckets for me, more of a heated leather seat guy now that I am over 50. I got the vert with ompletely restored top bows, new motors and rams etc but no top cover. It rains without warning in Oregon so need top before it sees much road. It might get high back buckets with shoulder belts but undecided. 6 year old Daughter loves daddys old mopars so I need shoulder belts in all seats.
Here is a little 5.2 sleeper we put together, black on black, got nicknamed the murder motor. My 5.9 is next !:burnout:

A 5.2 Mag would be extremely sweet ,in an early A body driver...

I used 4:10 gears and a 518 od tranny from a 92 Dakota. Comes outmof the hole like a rocket and turns 2000 rpm a 100km/per hour in OD

Sorry to high jack the post. But wanted to ask how well does the stock magnum intake do with boost?

Tom

I put together pretty close to what Evan is suggesting and it runs pretty darn good.
Pretty sure you'll be in the 350+ range with his suggestions, and with my OD Dakota trans I get about 25mpg at 80mph on the hiway.

Be careful with a cam in stock heads. I've seen 3 sets, that the retainer hits the valve seal at around .525 lift. I have the upgraded springs and retainers that are good for .550 lift, bit no way to run a lift like that in a stock head. Need to cut the guides down. I also did 4.56 gears, headers, and good ignition. Runs pretty good. Currently doing the nitrous instal.

Last edited:
20170201_183624.jpg

-
Back